PDA

View Full Version : Good Ork Nob Options?

Borg451
14-10-2013, 23:45
Alright?

I am making up some Ork Nobs from bitz I have.

I dont play the game, but would like to in the future.

I have made the models up to look good, with the available parts I have.

Are these a good squad or individuals?

Nob with Big Choppa and Slugga
Nob with Power Klaw and Slugga
Nob with Choppa and Slugga x2
Nob with Choppa and Slugga and Bosspole
Nob with Choppa and Slugga [Could possibly represent also Boss Pole]
Nob with Choppa and Slugga [Could possibly represent 'Eavy Armour]
Nob with Shoota-Rokkit Kombiweapon (would this guy have a Choppa too?)

Questions:

Should I make these up?
Are standard Choppa and Slugga Nobs good or should I always upgrade their weapons somehow?
What Nob options are good for a Boyz' Sergeant?
Do you think the it would be good for that Nob to have 'Eavy Armour?
Is Kaptin Badrukk good? I could make one of them him.

Darnok
14-10-2013, 23:57
Build models you like the look of. Rules change every few years - models last.

Menthak
15-10-2013, 00:17
I agree with Darnok, but if you want a decent Nob loadout you can check the Ork Tactica, personally I'd say that Powerklaws and a Waaagh! banner is a solid build. But that's just me.

Borg451
15-10-2013, 00:18
Would those listed be good options tho?

As I have other 'good model' possibilities I could do.

That is why I listed the questions in bullet points at the end.

Questions:

Should I make these up?
Are standard Choppa and Slugga Nobs good or should I always upgrade their weapons somehow?
What Nob options are good for a Boyz' Sergeant?
Do you think the it would be good for that Nob to have 'Eavy Armour?
Is Kaptin Badrukk good? I could make one of them him.

Borg451
15-10-2013, 00:19
I agree with Darnok, but if you want a decent Nob loadout you can check the Ork Tactica, personally I'd say that Powerklaws and a Waaagh! banner is a solid build. But that's just me.

So as many Power Klaws as I have then? Are Regular Choppas and Sluggas a bit of a waste?

Ambience 327
15-10-2013, 00:22
Currently, there is hardly anything available to Ork Nobz that isn't good at either the Squad Leader level or as part of a Nobz mob. While some options might be arguably better than others, none of them are rubbish. Orks are just that good. :D

Menthak
15-10-2013, 00:38
So as many Power Klaws as I have then? Are Regular Choppas and Sluggas a bit of a waste?

Not a waste as such, just that a durable unit with powerfist equivalents is a good way to trash anything you want trashed.

Nymie_the_Pooh
15-10-2013, 00:50
I'd say mix it up and build what you like. Powerklaws definitely get work done, but a unit full of powerklaws will oftentimes find themselves stranded out in the open on the turn they charge which leaves them exposed to shooting so you want a mix of choopas/big choppas in there as well so you finish the fight on the other player's turn. There are rumours of a new codex not too far off in the future so everything can change. Right now all the options available to a unit of Nobs are great.

Mortimer
15-10-2013, 02:18
Not a waste as such, just that a durable unit with powerfist equivalents is a good way to trash anything you want trashed.

full squad with PK's is stupid expensive.

Ssilmath
15-10-2013, 03:19

Don't underestimate the power of a bunch of Str7 hits at Initiative 3. While they may not cut through armor, they still force a lot of saves and go before the heaviest hitting weapons and attacks. But as Darnok said build what looks cool to you, that'll be more enjoyable to you in the long run.

Theocracity
15-10-2013, 15:37
I agree with the others that you should build what looks cool to you and worry about the strategy later, especially with rumors of a new Ork book looming in the next year.

That being said, a couple thoughts on current strategy:

Powerklaws are great multi-purpose tools but are expensive. I usually use 2-3 in a nob mob, with the rest of the nobs using either big choppas or slugga / choppa (and a painboy to hand out FNP and cybork, which I like better than armor - YMMV). I personally don't use Kombis, as I find its good to focus your unit's purpose on either shooting or assault, but I can see the utility of a skorcha (the rokkit's S8 useful but one shot at BS2 is unreliable. I'd only use it if I didn't have another use for the points).

For boyz mobs, Powerklaws are nice utility but are vulnerable to challenges. I use a mix of big choppas and klaws among my mobs, and pick targets carefully based on what I face. Bosspoles are great for them, and armor can be nice if you have spare points. Some people like to go cheap, no frills - just the same weapon as the boyz and a boss pole.

Flash Gits and Badrukk are mostly for fun - they're too expensive for firepower that can be used elsewhere, and not tough enough to reliably use the melee stats they pay for. That being said, more dakka is always fun! :)

As I said, none of this really matters though. Build what you think is cool - Orks are a great army for that!