PDA

View Full Version : John Blanche interview in LeftLion magazine now online

zoggin-eck
15-10-2013, 12:02
Hey guys, I can't see this posted anywhere else, so I hope this is all good.

John Blanche recently did an interview for the current issue of LeftLion, a Nottingham art magazine (as well as the cover!).

Living in Australia, I'm happy to see that the PDF version is now up :)

http://www.leftlion.co.uk/articles.cfm/title/leftlion-magazine--55/id/6192#.Ul0tZ1Cmg1K

It isn't anything terribly new, anyone who's interested would have heard all of it before, but still really interesting,

de Selby
15-10-2013, 16:48
Very interesting, nice to hear from him as always. The bit that caught my eye was this, which I suppose explains the recent changes in the rate and type of books GW puts out:

What part of you is now artist and what is director?
Games Workshop has recently separated the sculpting
department away from making paper product; the rules and
the background and stuff. We’ve amalgamated that department
with another one called the Black Library who produce novels
and such to make Games Workshop Publishing. I’ve moved
across with sculpting and more or less left the art director bit
behind.

cpl_hicks
16-10-2013, 21:39
What I found interesting was when asked "would you use our illustrators" and his answer was "no.. as the local art I see depresses me" a great way to get new talent from the local art rag

Bigglesworth
17-10-2013, 16:04
What I found interesting was when asked "would you use our illustrators" and his answer was "no.. as the local art I see depresses me" a great way to get new talent from the local art rag

Well he obviously does not think they are the right kind of talent.

And I think he means he is depressed that he does not get the art of "now", and does not consider himself an artist in that sense, rather than the art of now being inferior in some way.

Marked_by_chaos
17-10-2013, 22:44
This is potentially hugely significant.

It also explains a comment from john at the "enter the citadel" even that he was more of a concept artist now and that we would not see so much of his artwork in the publications such as codices.

The significance of the move is very much that product design/manufacturing are now wholly ascendant over games design/publishing. Effectively john and the sculpting team come up with new miniature concepts. It is then the job of the, now black library, rules and fluff writing team to incorporate the models into the background and for the art team to create derivative artwork from an existing miniature concept.

This really explains the nature of some of the recent new art in the codices. It is not expressive in the sense of Blanche or other older gw artists but is almost a textbook copy of the miniatures being released. A great example of this is the warriors of chaos book. Look at the slaughter brute. The image and pose almost exactly match the finished model.

IMHO it is a sad development in a way. I loved the older books with more random 40k and warhammer ephemera. I also am cautious as I think we will see an increasing number of new units that have little or no existing fluff connection.