PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen 2250 - I think I'm "doin' it wrong" :P

Orangecoke
16-10-2013, 01:18
(please note I am a major WFB novice)

Hi guys,

Working on Lizardmen...I have no idea why the bug bit me to do so, but it did - outta the blue! I'm working on a scar vet on carnosaur and some Saurus right now. I also own a Stegadon model from a while back so I have a bit of a jump on the purchasing :)

Some of the thinking going into my list:

- I want to run a scar vet on carnosaur because he looks awesome and it just feels fluffy to have a killer dinosaur in the list. That said, I recognize he's not considered very competitive.
- I want to include an Ancient Stegadon because I have one (blow pipes?)
- I like Saurus warriors better than Skinks
- I included a Slann mage priest because I get the feeling it's a mistake not to use one lol

My goal is 2250 which is the points level used at the biggest local tourney.

I feel like I ran out of points really fast and am missing some key stuff like chameleon skinks vs warmachines for example. Are my saurus/tg blocks too big?

I wanted another stegadon lol - reckon THAT's not gonna happen :D

Lords
Slann Mage Priest
Wandering Deliberations

Heroes
Scar Vet
Pirahna Blade
Shield
Light Armor
BSB
Carnosaur
Loping Stride
Bloodroar

Core
20 x Temple Guard
Musician
Standard
Razor Standard

25 x Saurus Warriors
Musician
Standard Bearer
Hand Weapon
Shield

25 x Saurus Warriors
Musician
Standard Bearer
Hand Weapon
Shield

Special
Bastiladon
Solar Engine

Ripperdactyle Riders

Rare

Ancient Stegadon
Unstoppable Stampede
Sharpened Horns

total 2220 so far...

Moss
16-10-2013, 03:24
I have some suggestions to help shave some points.

(1) Unstoppable Stampede isn't really worth the points. I'd drop it.
(2) The Razor Standard is nice, but your list is loaded with S5 and S6. Plus, you have the LoMetal signature to help deal with armor. I would ditch the standard.
(3) The Piranha Blade seems a little overkill in the "d3 wounds" department. You have your Stegadon and Carnasour; I would swap the sword for some defensive gear. Grab the Enchanted Shield and Dawn Stone and a cheap sword for magic attacks (Sword of Striking maybe?).
(4) I like my Saurus in ranks of six to maximize attacks. I would drop one from each unit for two units of (24).
(5) Bloodroar on the Carnosaur is pretty cool, but if I'm looking to shave points off, that's the next thing to go.

My suggestions would leave you with 116pts to play around with. That can get you a unit of Chameleons and maybe another discipline on the Slann.

What are your plans for the Bastiladon?

(btw - I'm not necessarily saying any of your choices were bad; it just seems that the points disappeared so quickly because you went through Army Builder checking all of the boxes to give your models all available options)

Kayosiv
16-10-2013, 03:43
Here's my thoughts.

You've taken a sub-optimal choice, a carnsosaur, placed your BSB on him (making him more vulnerable to everything in the game) and he doesn't even have a 1+ armor save or a ward save? You've got to protect this guy! Ditch the piranah blade. It is a glorified biting blade that for 40 points might to something, sometimes, if you fight multiwound models, and you wound them and you don't roll a 1 or 2. It is not a good weapon for the price. My suggestion would be a 4+ ward save and an enchanted shield or charmed shield, plus a spear. I also think the BSB is better suited to be your slann. If you carnosaur is off rampaging around on it's forced overruns, it will take the BSB with it. The other option is to just lop off all upgrades and give him a great weapon to keep him reasonably cheap at just over 300 points. Still 100 points more than it should cost, but not too bad. With full carnosaur and scarvet upgrades you are looking at a 400 point investment and that is going to be very hard to get returns on. At that point you should practically take Kro'Gar for the 5+ ward save.

Razor standard is an expensive upgrade to a unit this small. I think you'd be better off with +1 movement, +1 magic resistance, or +1 leadership, or no magic banner at all.

Bastilodon and ripperdacyl ridders are where a lot of your points are gonig. For the assumed unit of 3 rippers, that's 270 points. If you shave off unstoppable stampede from your ancient stegadon, that's easily a stegadon and 5 chameleon skinks right there.

Orangecoke
16-10-2013, 03:51
Good advice guys! I didn't use army builder, just excel, although I did load up on options. For the scar vet I already armed him (model) with a hand weapon and shield....don't think it came with a great weapon. Good point on protecting him better! Yep the rippers are a unit of 3.

Oh I put the bsb on the carny because I thought I read somewhere it boosts the effective range on it.

For bastiladon I was going to use the....beam gem thing. Forget the name.

EDIT - Maybe this?

Slann Mage Priest 1
BSB 1
Wandering Deliberations 1

Heroes
Scar Vet 1
Charmed Shield 1
Talisman of Endurance 1
Carnosaur 1
Loping Stride 1
Bloodroar 1

Core

Saurus Warriors 24
Musician 1
Standard Bearer 1
Hand Weapon 24
Shield 24

Saurus Warriors 24
Musician 1
Standard Bearer 1
Hand Weapon 24
Shield 24

Special
Temple Guard 20
Musician 1
Standard 1

Bastiladon 1
Solar Engine 1

Rare

Ancient Stegadon 1
Sharpened Horns 1

Ancient Stegadon 1
Sharpened Horns 1

Total 2248 points

immortal git
17-10-2013, 16:15
Personally i would take a temple guard unit smaller than 26, gives you a 6x5 unit which is perfect in my opinion. Th rest of the list above looks good tho.

Orangecoke
18-10-2013, 01:28
thanks Immortal! I assume you mean you "wouldn't" take one smaller than 26 :D

Moss
18-10-2013, 02:21
I'm all about taking the units you like, but consider the following. Your Slann has (8) spells, all of which are worth casting at any point in the game. You have no way to generate extra power dice, yet you are taking a Bastiladon specifically for his bound spell. I don't think you'll have the power dice to cast it very often.

My advice is to lose it. You already have (3) big monsters, and as I'm sure you're well aware, you don't have very many models in your army. For 150pts, you can get Harmonic Convergence + Channeling Staff for your Slann, as well as a unit of Chameleons to hopefully take out any artillery that might be aiming at your Stegadons.

Orangecoke
18-10-2013, 03:05
Awesome Moss, that's great advice and exactly what I needed! Yeah I wanted the Bas, but didn't realize i had to use dice to use his solar engine thing (warhammer noob like I said).

Update

Spent some time on Army Builder trying to get this all to fit :)

- I'm trying to keep the Saurus and TG units 6 wide (I hear that's the thing to do)
- Couldn't seem to squeeze in Cham Skinks
- Ended up having to drop the Bastil - needed the points. was having trouble fulfilling my core properly.

2250 Pts - Lizardmen Roster

Slann Mage-Priest
. . 1 Slann Mage-Priest (Battle Standard Bearer),
. . . . 1 Dispel Scroll
. . . . 1 Obsidian Lodestone
. . . . 1 Ironcurse Icon
. . . . 1 Soul of Stone
. . . . 1 The Becalming Cogitation
. . . . 1 Wandering Deliberations

Saurus Scar-Veteran
. . 1 Saurus Scar-Veteran,
. . . . 1 Carnosaur