PDA

View Full Version : New to mordheim, where to start?

TrollTyg
06-06-2006, 12:05
Im kind of new to mordheim (read the rules 100 times but never played the game) and i was thinking of starting a Orc warband.
Have read some other threads on this subject and found out that its good to have atleast 3-4 heroes to start with (my club only has one power gaming mordheimer), so i thougt of taking the boss, shaman and 1 or 2 big 'uns (one if i take the shaman or 2 if i dont).
Then have some orc henches or go gobbo mad (as my heroes bully them around).
The thng i know for certain is that i have to have a boss, atleast 1 big 'un and a fanatic (its just to tempting to take a fun fanatic).
Now i wonder as i like squigs, are they worth taking? or should i wait and take some for my warband later?
Has anyone ever tried Orcs for mordheim and could give some guidelines for a great composition for a starting warband?

McMullet
06-06-2006, 12:08
I've never played orcs, but some guidelines for your starting warband would be:

-Take plenty of heroes.
-Don't go crazy on equipment
-Don't bother with any armour (except helmets and maybe bucklers)

Not sure about squigs, but unless they're cheap I'd stick to regular warband members to start with. You can buy more exotic items and henchmen later.

Have fun!

HiredSword.
06-06-2006, 12:12
McMullet has it bang on and those three rules are something you'll find out soon enough.

The great thing about mordheim is that your starting warband is not too much of a factor as you can change its composition over a few games until you are happy with it.

If you post a list then we can suggest more, but to be honest after those three rules the rest is up to personal opinion.

devolutionary
06-06-2006, 12:14
Those heros with 0 experience, look like a bunch of n00bs? Take MANY of them. I swear, Dregs in my Undead warband became unstoppable forces in no time, simply by being around.

As my fine feathered friend above says, ignore armour. Only a few warbands benefit from this to any degree as it is simply too expensive. Take lots of melee, go for numbers on all fronts. Weapons can be kept simple, you'll get fancy stuff later. For now, just be able to bring attacks to bear.

TrollTyg
06-06-2006, 12:30
Well this is what i came up with as a starting mob.

Orc Boss
2 Battle axes

Orc Shaman
Sword

2 Big 'uns
Battle axe on both

3 Orc Boyz
Battle axe on averyone

1 Goblin
Mad cap Mushroom
Ball and chain

5 goblins
Club for everyone

3 cave squigs.

And i have 5 gold crowns left

Kept it cheap and simple (except for the fanatic).

What do you think? is it going to die after the first battle?
Did notice the limitation on heroes in a orc warband, that was every hero i could get.

McMullet
06-06-2006, 13:03
That looks good to me. Plenty of green bodies, which is good.

You might want to think about giving models 2 weapons, the extra attack with a real weapon (i.e., not a dagger) is worth it. Also, axes aren't much use, since as we've already established, armour isn't much good to start with and that's what they affect. Clubs/maces are cheaper and, IMHO, better. If all you have is axe-wielding models, however, don't sweat it as it doesn't make a lot of difference.

I think you should do pretty nicely with that, just hope for a "Lad's Got Talent" roll for one of your Orc boys.

TrollTyg
06-06-2006, 13:09
mostly took the axes becous of the cheap price tag (5 gold crowns) and a second weapon on every boy wouldnt hurt either (then i have something to spend my last 5 gold crowns on).
But i might think of something else then axes for my boyz becous as you said, im not going to encounter alot of armor to begin with.
Also thinking of giving my shaman a club instead of a sword

HiredSword.
06-06-2006, 13:31
what about maces or hammers?

btw, a helmet is, imo, the best armour in mordheim for its price. Consider buying your leader one (actually, can orcs buy helmets? they dont strike me as being the kind that do, i'll have to check)

TrollTyg
06-06-2006, 13:35
yes orcs can buy helmets and as the model i was thinking of using as my boss has a helmet i think that i have too buy him one.
Dont think they can buy hammers, not sure about maces.

McMullet
06-06-2006, 13:53
Hammers, maces and clubs are all the same rules- and price-wise, and I'm sure Orcs have access to one of them.

HiredSword.
06-06-2006, 15:19
sorry for being confusing,

yes mcmullet is right again; hammers, maces and staffs all come under the same rules. Every warband should have access to these (there might be an exception but i'm very doubtful as they are the most commonly used weapon).

TKitch
06-06-2006, 16:34
there are a number of bands which don't have access to them, but most do.

ORKIEZ!!!!

Skip the fanatic, they're too dangerous, expensive, and die too quickly.

TrollTyg
06-06-2006, 19:49
there are a number of bands which don't have access to them, but most do.

ORKIEZ!!!!

Skip the fanatic, they're too dangerous, expensive, and die too quickly.

Two words "Too Cool", i know its too expensive, it will probably die first of all and it could kill someone in my warband, but its just too cool to ignore :p

Going to drop axes on my orc boyz and big 'uns and give as manny as possible double clubs then :)

HiredSword.
07-06-2006, 10:51
Two words "Too Cool", i know its too expensive, it will probably die first of all and it could kill someone in my warband, but its just too cool to ignore :p

and that's why i love Mordheim - army composition isnt always every thing and with a few lucky rolls that fanatic might actually do something!

TKitch
07-06-2006, 12:51
I just have a problem with a 70GC model that can kill itself just by being there and being used.

That's a lot of scratch (in my latest campaign, I've only gotten that much in 2 games, once barely!) and can be tough to replace.

If Fanatics didn't HAVE to see if they die after every game, I'd be much more likely to use them.

TrollTyg
08-06-2006, 20:49
I just have a problem with a 70GC model that can kill itself just by being there and being used.

That's a lot of scratch (in my latest campaign, I've only gotten that much in 2 games, once barely!) and can be tough to replace.

If Fanatics didn't HAVE to see if they die after every game, I'd be much more likely to use them.

Its only 55 GC for the fantic and it can kill alot even if if has a greater chance of getting killed after each game then my other ladz.
But its totaly worth it :D

McMullet
08-06-2006, 22:43
You can have much more fun with a Fanatic than you can with a suit of heavy armour that costs about the same... :p