PDA

View Full Version : Farsight Enclaves Supplement Hardback

Ronin no Matsu
17-10-2013, 01:39
Here's a question for those of you collecting a Tau army : Will you be getting the Farsight Enclaves Supplement Hardback this saturday?

Let me know why or why not!

Surgency
17-10-2013, 03:29
Yes. It's a Tau supplement, and the Tau have been my favorite army since they were created

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

ForgottenLore
17-10-2013, 03:39
I can't really afford it, and I don't really play 40k anymore, but I do really like Tau so I am not likely to get it but maybe, if I find one disposable cash (hahahahahahahahahaha)

Maxis Lithium
17-10-2013, 03:50
I have been slowly working on a Far Sight force, with a metric ton of suites. I will pick up the hard-back when finances permit.

TehJDot
17-10-2013, 04:33
I really don't like the supplements. I am not a fan of their price, and I don't think they bring much to the table. I feel like they actually might even incentivise reduced content in new codices. Granted, I'm not a Tau player (currently) so I wouldn't buy it, but I know I'm not getting the Black Legion supplement or any of the space marine ones.

MajorWesJanson
17-10-2013, 09:51
Yes, when I have the money for it.

budman
17-10-2013, 13:04
I walked into my local store today and they had a store copy for me to look thought before I ordered it.
Thank goodness I did look at it.
I am not going to pay 25 quid for 2 pages of rules all of which are on online for free sans points. (legal like)
Biggest waste of paper since 50 shades of grey or CS goto.

I am happy bunny that the staff let me look at the product first

RanaldLoec
17-10-2013, 13:14
I
I walked into my local store today and they had a store copy for me to look thought before I ordered it.
Thank goodness I did look at it.
I am not going to pay 25 quid for 2 pages of rules all of which are on online for free sans points. (legal like)
Biggest waste of paper since 50 shades of grey or CS goto.

I am happy bunny that the staff let me look at the product first

Some people don't buy books for the rules.

Some people buy books for the background and art work.

budman
17-10-2013, 13:22
I

Some people don't buy books for the rules.

Some people buy books for the background and art work.

I get that RanaldLoec and best of luck to them... (i have vissions of hersey on preorder myself)
some of us play a wargame called 40K and have book called codexs with rules...
some of us like a good mix of fluff and crunch... some of us wanted a book that did that for farsight.

but sexy art book was not what this book was sold as... it was sold as a codex...

MajorWesJanson
17-10-2013, 15:43
but sexy art book was not what this book was sold as... it was sold as a codex...

It was sold as a codex supplement.

Mortimer
17-10-2013, 15:56
I wont as I don't play Tau.

I have a Tau force that i use as AoC if i have need to. I am not going to add another book to carrying around

RanaldLoec
17-10-2013, 15:58
I get that RanaldLoec and best of luck to them... (i have vissions of hersey on preorder myself)
some of us like a good mix of fluff and crunch... some of us wanted a book that did that for farsight.

Strangely enough I too play a game called 40k and have done since I was 11 on a weekly basis. I'm now 31.

I too have Codices ( not codexs) 3 or four editions worth dating back two decades.

Just because GW did not meet your expectations for the book and you missed the words " a supplement for codex Tau " on the GW website does not constitute selling it as a Codex.

When I read the GW website it was perfectly clear that the supplement required a copy of codex Tau to use and that it only added to and was never going to replace the main codex.

The rumour mill did promise allot more but that's what happens when wishlists and vague rumours mingle together in the internet ether.

Inquisitor Engel
17-10-2013, 16:56
I have been slowly working on a Far Sight force, with a metric ton of suites. I will pick up the hard-back when finances permit.

I hope there's room for everyone to have a nice comfy bed. ;)

mostlyharmless
17-10-2013, 17:06
Is it really coming out this Saturday? I would have expected it to be on pre-order for a week, then release.

Gossipmeng
17-10-2013, 19:07
I will be buying the hardback for the simple reason that it is my main army and I've been playing wannabe farsight lists since 2005.

Ever since the supplement was released I've been trying to convert some really awesome crisis suits. I have a bunch of the forgeworld variants, but they still look.... off. I'm quite happy with my conversion using farsight (image below). I would have preferred the enforcer commander as a basis, but he is just too large for standard XV8 suits. :( The wallet cries.

Thud
17-10-2013, 23:30
I've loved Farsight and everything about the Enclaves since Tau was first released. Even though my country will be tacking on 25% VAT and a 15 handling fee on top of the GW price because I have the cheek to order something directly from abroad, I'll still get it.

FraustyTheSnowman
18-10-2013, 02:12
No because I don't believe in paying real money for gw quality merchandise.

Mortimer
18-10-2013, 02:43
No because I don't believe in paying real money for gw quality merchandise.

its not even GW quality.. it is added fluff and shiny shiny.

They could have easily released one codex sized book with rules for each supplement on 2-3 pages

Schismotive
18-10-2013, 06:52
I've been thinking about picking it up, I really enjoy the concept. I don't really need it though, and people are bring up great reasons why it's not really worth it. So I don't know, for now I'm not planning on it.

budman
18-10-2013, 07:24
It was sold as a codex supplement.

and Now MajorWesJanson we know what those words mean... a 3% usefull book.

ehlijen
18-10-2013, 11:38
This book was always going to be about background first and foremost with some rules tacked on, mostly dependent on the codex. If you expected anything else, you misread the product description, I dare say. If you expected this but wanted something else...well, then your dissappointment is understanble, but that doesn't make it a useless book.

That said, it's got the usual unjustified pricing going we know GW for by now.

Bladelord
18-10-2013, 12:15
Would like to have hte supplement but the price tag is too much for my wallet.

daveNYC
18-10-2013, 13:40
The US website has the supplement costing the same as the main Tau codex. I'm willing to shell out stupid cash for this hobby, but that's well over the line for me.

Dr Zoidberg
19-10-2013, 02:45
and Now MajorWesJanson we know what those words mean... a 3% usefull book.

At 100% of the price of the thing it "supplements".

FraustyTheSnowman
19-10-2013, 02:58
its not even GW quality.. it is added fluff and shiny shiny.

They could have easily released one codex sized book with rules for each supplement on 2-3 pages

In my opinion gw quality implies a steady downward spiral with sporadic moments where the pilot is able to straighten things out to a perfectly vertical dive and mash the throttle.

Mortimer
19-10-2013, 03:17
In my opinion gw quality implies a steady downward spiral with sporadic moments where the pilot is able to straighten things out to a perfectly vertical dive and mash the throttle.
and the supplement is the parachute that fell out the cargo door when the hero foolishly opened it.

Useful but only if you have it, and the cost of getting it, doesn't make it worth the effort

Rolsheen
19-10-2013, 07:53
I'll be buying it, the Iyanden supplement and all future supplements because unlike a lot of people whinging on this thread I support GW and the hobby.

owen matthew
19-10-2013, 09:39
I was in when the black-shirt told me it was $30. There is not much art in it, and it's absurdly expensive. I am a player, so the fluff means nothing to me. It hurts me as I am aTau player/collector from the pre release box. For the first time I feel like skipping, especially as all 2-3 pages of the rules are pretty lame, imho. I'm on the fence but barely hanging on.

lee
19-10-2013, 12:29
i was going to buy it but a few things put me of
1 was the price 30 is a little bit to much
2 it has not got the stats or points cost for the eight. just there weapon load outs and gear

lee
19-10-2013, 12:29
2 it has not got the stats or points cost for the eight. just there weapon load outs and gear

Felwether
19-10-2013, 18:23

Most of them are just Commanders with specific equipment. You need the main codex to build an army anyway.

Marshal
20-10-2013, 05:47
Most of them are just Commanders with specific equipment. You need the main codex to build an army anyway.

See, and that's crap if you ask me. For all the effort of putting it in there is utter crap that they didn't. I purchased the codex supplement today and that was the first thing I noticed (well, actually, second, first thing was oooo pretty pictures...but anyways). The version I have on my phone has a nice index at the very end of it that shows you all the point costs of everything, it would have taken a page, maybe 2 MAX to include that in this version of the codex (which most of us I'm sure that paid for this version paid the exact amount more than we paid for the digital version). It's complete crap that they didn't do this...

Felwether
20-10-2013, 09:16
Maybe. Codex supplements have always required a parent codex in order to use them.

The only difference is that the new supplements have a higher page count and lots of pretty full colour artwork.

FraustyTheSnowman
20-10-2013, 13:56
And cost as much as the parent codexes which are insanely priced to begin with.

Karak Norn Clansman
20-10-2013, 14:11
Pricing rules me out, sadly. I might pick it up for cheap on E-bay (even if it is outdated nect edition) for the background's sake. It would have been much better if it would've worked as a stand-alone supplement rather than relying on the parent codex, especially with these prices.

The bearded one
20-10-2013, 14:52
I bought the Ipad version the day that one was released. Unlike the swear-storm above I actually enjoyed the supplement on many counts, even if it was a tenner or a bit more expensive than it ought to be compared to a regular codex. However I think it's great. The supplement's rules (supplementing the codex which at this point I find to be the best rules-wise of the new codices) are all very reasonable, but have a vastly bigger impact on the look of the army than the Iyanden supplement ever possible had (which was just a warlord table, HQ wraithknight, and some more spirit seers for one slot), so you can finally build that suit-army people have been asking about since practically the very first Tau release.

Additionally I actually read the fluff, rather than complain and disregard that it's even in there, and it's quite lengthy, about 70-80 pages of fluff which is all really rather good.

Is it a couple tenners too expensive compared to a codex? Yeah, sure. Those things are expensive. But I don't regret even a penny of that purchase. As far as the contents go, I find this supplement ace, considering how big an impact it can have on how your army is built and how it plays. Since its digital release several months ago I have used the supplement in at least half of my Tau games, maybe 2/3rds, depending on whether I wanted a traditional Tau force and their signature systems, or a more battlesuit heavy force, with melee commanders.

Radium
21-10-2013, 09:44
Voted "No for other reasons", since I don't know whether I'll buy the book or not. Probably not, since it's the road to insanity, but the completionist in me wants to have it anyway...

Felwether
21-10-2013, 13:21
And cost as much as the parent codexes which are insanely priced to begin with.

Honestly I think that GWs high page count, hardback, full colour A4 books are quite fairly priced when compared to the rest of their range. They're useful and nice things to have.

OT: I've just ordered it!

loveless
21-10-2013, 14:51
I'll probably get it when I have the spare cash for it.

I'm not rushing out to grab it or readjusting my hobby budget to account for it, but I would like to have the additional background information and such.

mostlyharmless
21-10-2013, 15:15
I had a look at the book this weekend and ordered a copy. It's got some fun stuff in there and very nice fluff.

In regards to not having points costs for The Eight, well, I spent about 15 minutes pricing them out. It's not terribly difficult. It tells you exactly what each one brings to the table. To be honest, though, they come in at just under 1,500 points, so unless you're playing Apoc, there's no point in taking them. I think Farsight's bodyguard team from the base codex is more effective and has far more versatility. The only really useful one is O'Vesa, and that's because he's the only riptide that can have the Earth Caste Piloting Array. Normal Riptides and R'Varnas can't have signature systems. The others have some neat gimmicks, and they would be a fun modeling project for use in really, really, big games.

While we're at it, though, I spent some time writing up a list that filled out every single force org slot with battlesuits, using one detachment, (using hazards in fast attack, of course). It came out to exactly 5000 points. I have a new project . . .

Worship
21-10-2013, 15:20
No, I'm not a Tau player and have no interest in the book. :P

FraustyTheSnowman
21-10-2013, 17:19
Honestly I think that GWs high page count, hardback, full colour A4 books are quite fairly priced when compared to the rest of their range. They're useful and nice things to have.

OT: I've just ordered it!

Comparing it to any of the rpg books I have it comes out as a giant floppy joke. For me the artwork is rarely interesting, and the fluff is masturbatory nonsense at the best of times. What would be nice though is to have two versions available, one with the artwork and fiction/fluff...and one with just the rules. As it stands I'll find a copy on line or use the story copy, or ultimately not use that particular ruleset before paying gw prices. But if they sold a ten dollar pamphlet of just the rules with maybe a one sentence descriptor for each unit I would pick up every single one.

Felwether
21-10-2013, 18:35
Oh well, I guess we're just too different, you and I. :cries:

;)

mostlyharmless
21-10-2013, 18:56
While the newer books have been better in terms of quality, their proofreading is still atrocious. When you have the book in hand, have a look at the army limitations, then read them again. You'll see something funny.

The bearded one
21-10-2013, 20:21
While the newer books have been better in terms of quality, their proofreading is still atrocious. When you have the book in hand, have a look at the army limitations, then read them again. You'll see something funny.

You'll have to be more specific, I see nothing.

No, I'm not a Tau player and have no interest in the book. :P

Then according to the opening post you do not qualify for the question ;)

mostlyharmless
21-10-2013, 21:11
You'll have to be more specific, I see nothing.

In the book that they had at the GW near my place, it reads that a Farsight Enclave army list "cannot not" include Shadowsun and Aun'va.

Marshal
21-10-2013, 23:49
The only really useful one is O'Vesa, and that's because he's the only riptide that can have the Earth Caste Piloting Array. Normal Riptides and R'Varnas can't have signature systems.

Page 50, Farsight Enclaves Supplement, Heading Signature Systems, Last Sentence:

Note that XV104 Riptides in your army may select items from the Signature Systems of the Farsight Enclaves.

mostlyharmless
22-10-2013, 15:01
Touche, salesman . . .

Means I need to go over and tweak my list a bit.

Shadeseraph
22-10-2013, 16:42
I'm not buying the hardcover... because I already had the digital version since the moment it hit the store.

Yeah, it is way too expensive. But I'm a happy over-mechaed traitorous tau now, and that's what counts. And my lovely stealth suits are about thrice as useful than before.

In general, I've got to agree with The Bearded One: It is one of the most far reaching supplements out there: Crisis as core, and lack of standard tau sig systems changes the way the army plays quite seriously, which is a good thing. And I wouldn't say it is more powerful than a standard Tau army.

Koldegaard
22-10-2013, 17:41
How does the farsight enclaves makes the stealth suits more powerful?
*edit* due to the sudden room in the elite slot?

FraustyTheSnowman
22-10-2013, 17:45
My guess is that mostly it's because they no longer compete with crisis and riptides, but it is only a guess. I know if I ever get my tau up and running it'll likely include a single unit of stealth for the HQ to go into...and likely have to be out of the supplement as I want a lot of crisis and don't really want firewarriors (not due to performance, they're great units in my opinion, I just don't want them)

Shadeseraph
22-10-2013, 18:15
How does the farsight enclaves makes the stealth suits more powerful?
*edit* due to the sudden room in the elite slot?

1) Sudden room in the elite slot is quite important, as you said.
2) They are the best Homing Beacon carriers in the whole army.
3) The sudden rise in availability of deep strikers make homing beacons a whole lot more interesting.
4) Finally, they are one of the toughtest units to kill early on, which reduces greatly the possibility of being tabled before your reserves arrive.

Those four tie in to make them very dangerous deep strike beacons. I am succesfully using 2 teams of 3 with 'vre with fusion blaster, markerlight, target lock and homing beacon, and they create a huge deepstrike zone where my 4 crisis teams can appear and blow things. And they can help kroot too.

I'm using them to great effect with this list: http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=21371&sid=23dff3fe0e653e48ff1dfb7b6c9abecb

owen matthew
22-10-2013, 22:30
Comparing it to any of the rpg books I have it comes out as a giant floppy joke. For me the artwork is rarely interesting, and the fluff is masturbatory nonsense at the best of times. What would be nice though is to have two versions available, one with the artwork and fiction/fluff...and one with just the rules. As it stands I'll find a copy on line or use the story copy, or ultimately not use that particular ruleset before paying gw prices. But if they sold a ten dollar pamphlet of just the rules with maybe a one sentence descriptor for each unit I would pick up every single one.

Right there with you.

Sir Didymus
23-10-2013, 05:17
I'm just about to stop buying GW books altogether.

Bad rules, bad fluff and high prices, and although the production quality is nicer now, the content doesn't merit more than being poorly xeroxed - so the full colour hardcover is just wasted.

...and I got the digital :p

jri0t68
23-10-2013, 06:48
I'd like to get it, but the cost is more than I'm currently willing (not unable, it's a matter of principle) to pay.

"Oh, you want to play 40K? Rulebook. $50" ka-ching!
"Codex for your army? $50" ka-ching!
"You're getting into it with your son? Another codex! $50." ka-ching!
"Yes, supplements add something cool. $50" ka-ching!
"Your army would be much better with allies. Just one more codex? Okay. $50" ka-ching!
GW would have the average new player spending $150 on books before they begin. Being someone who is getting back into it after having taken a break since 2nd, I'd spend double that to buy codecs for armies I don't play if they were half the cost.

"Did we fail to mention you need dice, templates, terrain, paint, brushes, glue and mini's?"

I pay because the exorbitant cost is worth it like the rising prices on illicit substances, but even from GW, I'd expect a little more value for the cost. I have a personal minimum threshold on value per dollar, and this seems to fall short.

Zimmonda
23-10-2013, 06:58
Arent the hard covers limited edition? While the main way to get it will be ebook?

So everyone here is moaning about a limited edition item costing a bundle?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Rolsheen
23-10-2013, 07:13
No, there is a limited edition hardback ($160) and a normal hardback ($83)

Spider-pope
23-10-2013, 09:26
This is the first supplement i'll be picking up. I doubt i'll ever field a Farsight Enclaves army, but i'm looking forward to reading more about the guy and the differences between his Tau settlements and the mainstream.

And some of us don't bother to read the product descriptions. It's not a codex, it is not advertised as a codex, it is not sold as a codex. That it has any rules at all is a bonus.

The bearded one
23-10-2013, 09:40
This is the first supplement i'll be picking up. I doubt i'll ever field a Farsight Enclaves army, but i'm looking forward to reading more about the guy and the differences between his Tau settlements and the mainstream.

I was very pleasantly surprised with the fluff. Not only is it very lengthy, about 80 pages in my Ipad edition (and almost 100% new material as well, meaning it essentially holds vastly more actual new material than any new codices do), but it's also on the whole really rather good, especially the concept of 'the eight', many of which sound like interesting characters to see expanded upon in future fluff and through black library.

Zimmonda
23-10-2013, 17:10
Where are you getting this from?

loveless
23-10-2013, 20:14
Where are you getting this from?

Well...it's been available digitally for quite some time. It's available to order in hardback on GW's site.
Not sure what else you want to know here...

Zimmonda
27-10-2013, 07:55
Well...it's been available digitally for quite some time. It's available to order in hardback on GW's site.
Not sure what else you want to know here...

Weird my post should have quoted thr guy paying 160 for the book

Dervos
02-11-2013, 16:24
I caved in back a month or more so ago because I wanted to read it, now I'm stuck between buying the hardback or just buying a kindle since I also bought sob codex but that will probably get a real hardback release at some point.

Though I don't know why I'm worried about it I don't have any where near the amount of models to even make a 500 pt list of farsight enclave and since I don't have a ebook reader that's portable I can't play with my sob anyway(maybe I should just take my desktop to all my 40k games eh?)