PDA

View Full Version : Giants, pick up and...attacks & ward saves

Ben81
17-10-2013, 14:55
The title may well explain the question! Do victims of a pick up and... Attack get a ward save before they are removed as a casualty??

Ramius4
17-10-2013, 15:01
The title may well explain the question! Do victims of a pick up and... Attack get a ward save before they are removed as a casualty??

You only get a ward save vs. Wounds (this is in fact true for all types of saving throw). If something says "removed as a casualty", you are not taking Wounds, you're just dead.

Blkc57
17-10-2013, 16:30
No ward save can protect you from that giant's underpants when he stuffs you in there. Now my question is can the pick up attack effect ethereals.

Ramius4
17-10-2013, 16:48
I would assume that Giants cannot use any of his special "Attacks" against a creature with the Ethereal rule at all, since none of it is magical. However, his Yell and Bawl ability would still work (and does work) wonders.

SteveW
17-10-2013, 19:28
The only attack he can do to an ethereal unit is yell and bawl.

Saldiven
19-10-2013, 01:18
Well, depends on whether we're talking about what the rules say or how people actually play it.

The Ethereal rule states that such a model can only be wounded by something that has magical attacks (to paraphrase). (Many people interpret this as saying that Ethereals can only be affected by magical attacks, but that's not actually what the rule says.) At least one of the pick up and... actions cause no wounds, so there's no specific protection for Ethereal creatures from being stuck in the Giant's pants. Now, granted, that is pretty much totally against the fluff, but the rules are pretty specific.

Similarly, the pick up and stuff in pants result doesn't cause wounds, and I don't believe there is an allowance to take a ward save, so I cannot imagine why, from a pure rules perspective, a target model would get one.

Ben81
19-10-2013, 20:16
Hmmm well after all that the giant performed woefully!! Got obliterated by a doom wheel in turn two!! Thanks anyway guys!

theunwantedbeing
19-10-2013, 21:25
The Ethereal rule states that such a model can only be wounded by something that has magical attacks (to paraphrase). (Many people interpret this as saying that Ethereals can only be affected by magical attacks, but that's not actually what the rule says.) At least one of the pick up and... actions cause no wounds, so there's no specific protection for Ethereal creatures from being stuck in the Giant's pants. Now, granted, that is pretty much totally against the fluff, but the rules are pretty specific.

Similarly, the pick up and stuff in pants result doesn't cause wounds, and I don't believe there is an allowance to take a ward save, so I cannot imagine why, from a pure rules perspective, a target model would get one.

Indeed.
Ethereal only protects you vs wounds suffered (much like ward/armour saves do).
If something "doesn't cause wounds" then your protection is meaningless.

Ridiculous, but them's be rules.

Ideally such things would prevent/protect from hits, not wounds.

Saldiven
19-10-2013, 21:51
Hmmm well after all that the giant performed woefully!! Got obliterated by a doom wheel in turn two!! Thanks anyway guys!

Unfortunately, that does seem to be the typical end for most Giants.

RejjeN
20-10-2013, 19:55
Unfortunately, that does seem to be the typical end for most Giants.
Or lots and lots of arrows.