PDA

View Full Version : Question about charging

Alathir
06-06-2006, 13:41
I am rusty when it comes to the intricacies of WHFB... I was wondering if you guys could clear something up for me.

Say if a unit with big bases... like chariots for instance charge a unit of skirmishers that is very close to another unit of skirmishers and subsequently hits them both, does that count as both of them being charged?

Thanks in advance.

T10
06-06-2006, 14:31
I am rusty when it comes to the intricacies of WHFB... I was wondering if you guys could clear something up for me.

Say if a unit with big bases... like chariots for instance charge a unit of skirmishers that is very close to another unit of skirmishers and subsequently hits them both, does that count as both of them being charged?

Thanks in advance.

I'm a bit unclear on what the appendices say on this, but as a general rule a single unit may charge another single unit, with the option to redirect to a second single unit, and that's about it.

In your scario, if it is impossible to contact the target unit without contacting the second unit first, then the charge has been blocked and therefore fails.

If you do manage to make contact with the target unit without being obstructed, it is not unreasonable to move models in the second unit out of the way (minimum 1" from the chariot) in order to arrage a neat formation.

In situations like these it certainly helps to clear things with your opponent before committing to the charge, e.g. "I don't think that unit is in the way of my charging this unit. What do you say?" and "If I make the charge, I say we we shift that other unit slightly out of the way."

If your opponent objects to this (e.g. claiming the charge will be blocked), then you should cosider charging the blocking unit instead.

-T10

mageith
06-06-2006, 14:39

The key is whether bringing the second unit into combat is "inevitable", that is, cannot be avoided. Rather than have a charge fail because it hits two units (a unit can only declare one other unit as pointed out above), the appendix has specific rules for this on page 267 under Multiple Targets.

If the chariot doglegs in order to pick up two units of skimishers then I'd question the "inevitability" of that.

Side question, do you then play the chariot gets full impact hits on each unit?

Mage Ith

T10
06-06-2006, 14:57
Well, seeing as it is the chariot that charges that deals the impact hits (thus allowing more than one chariot to deal impact hits to the same target) rather than the unit suffering impact hits for being charged by one or more chariot, it seems reasonable to assume that the chariot distributes impact hits between the two target units.

-T10

L-Train
06-06-2006, 16:25
I would have to agree with T10.

DeathlessDraich
06-06-2006, 17:53
I can't see how the situation could arise if the skirmishers are large units.
1) Firstly the charge will have to be declared against 1 unit. If this is the closest unit then there is no problem as the chargers are stopped and aligned with the closest model (pg 116) which will be well away from the other skirmishing unit. Using the 'clipping' rules and the recommended Gav Thorpe 'fudge', the 2nd unit is unaffected.

2) If the skirmishing unit charged is further away, wouldn't the same rules apply?

3) However, Ive been in one situation where a Giant declared a charge against my 2 Ratling guns which I had sneakily placed touching each other and equidistant from the giant.
We agreed on a dice roll to decide whether 1 or 2 guns were charged. I lost.

T10
06-06-2006, 19:06
It can happen: A "corridor" between two units with just enough room for the chariot to charge through, blocked at the end by two skirmishing units.

-T10

Parka boy
06-06-2006, 20:12
I always play it as you can only charge one unit no matter how close other units are so NO! firing 2 Ratling guns or anything EVER! (I thought the rules were clear there) I play the 1" rule as any unit within 1" just gets drawn into combat if the chargers frontage overlaps clipping is to be avoided!!!!! Especially by chariots like most things in life it will only come back to haunt you later.

I find this the easiest way but every so often you have to fudge a bit. I'd agree with T10 and say that the chariot distributes impact hits between the units it’s touching.

Nothing to do with the question but I don’t think a chariot should get impact hits against skirmishers in the first place.

Festus
06-06-2006, 20:25
Hi

...I donít think a chariot should get impact hits against skirmishers in the first place.
Heartily agreed!

And I like the *drilled* rule from WAB as well...

Greetings
Festus

Alathir
07-06-2006, 07:42
Thanks for that guys. Playing against Tomb Kings with Wood Elves most often means a situation like this can come up. Especially considering that impact hits are like... wood elf bane.