PDA

View Full Version : NEW DE autowin button

Judochop
19-10-2013, 19:15
Hello,

So here is a nasty little combo that comes in under 150pts that has potential to wreck your enemies army from turn 1.

a)lvl2 sorc dark magic on a dark steed (fast cav).
b)Assuming you have a lvl 4 dark magic sorc, roll her magic first making sure not to get the 6 spell.
c)Now generate the lvl 2 magic, you should have the 6 spell now. If you want it for sure just take Tome of furion. (but then over 150 pts)

If you get first turn, vangard for 12. Then march 18 to a flank. Throw 6 dice at black horror hope for IF.
The tricky part is making sure you dont roll miss fire.
So if it goes off the large template is going 4 to 20 inches. Pluss the size of the template.
If all works YOU WILL KILL stuff. And have the possibility to take out characters, slim but still a chance.
I did this last night in a game and killed 30 ghouls and 15 grave gaurd. Not bad for under 130.

A few things of note here. If you dont get IF on rolling 6 dice. Your oppenent has to scroll (likely option) or risk not dispelling it.
Next, if the spell does go off he still has that vortex on his side of the table. Guess what, he'll probably have to dispell it on his phase
limiting his dice for casting. Win, win.

How do I protect the sorc from shooting if I dont get first turn?
Put her in a group of vangarding warlocks. Now the sorc has a look out sir, and is sitting with a unit that has a 4+ward save.
Lastly dont vangard out to far if you get second turn, you dont want to get charged. Just wait till your turn, 18" can get you pretty much anywhere.

What else does that for under 150 pts?

What would you do to stop this combo? I cant think of much, but I would like to hear your suggestions.

Lance Tankmen
19-10-2013, 19:49
unleash a massive amount of ranged and magic if they get first turn, seems like a risky one trick pony only saving grace is the cheapness. 1) if your opponent sees/knows thats what you intend to do then he will stop it by vanguard blocking. 2) you really need to get IF cause you're level 2 chances are his level 4 can stop it on 6 dice too. 3) after getting this off on an opponent, depending on how bad it wrecks his army hes sure to prevent you from repeating it again.

Aluinn
19-10-2013, 20:19
Quite a few armies could do this with flying wizards and Purple Sun from the launch of 8th Ed. and still can. The problem is that while there is certainly a chance you'll ruin your opponent's army, it's by no means reliable (you need the IF and it's even harder to get now since the Power Scroll change--not that you're not guaranteed to get 6 power dice either), and it's a big points investment, at least relative to the risk that it will do nothing and the opportunity cost in your Heroes allotment. As such, it really has no place in competitive play because it's not consistent enough to win tourneys and when it fails will put you on the back foot heavily. This leaves casual play and it really has no place there either because it isn't very fun. So, yeah.

I mean there's plenty of anecdotal evidence of the Purple Sun suicide flying wizard eviscerating entire armies (it happens, no doubt, and was a HUGE source of whine when 8th dropped), but look at how much it's actually played today.

dementian
19-10-2013, 20:25
Quite a few armies could do this with flying wizards and Purple Sun from the launch of 8th Ed. and still can. The problem is that while there is certainly a chance you'll ruin your opponent's army, it's by no means reliable (you need the IF and it's even harder to get now since the Power Scroll change--not that you're not guaranteed to get 6 power dice either), and it's a big points investment, at least relative to the risk that it will do nothing and the opportunity cost in your Heroes allotment. As such, it really has no place in competitive play because it's not consistent enough to win tourneys and when it fails will put you on the back foot heavily. This leaves casual play and it really has no place there either because it isn't very fun. So, yeah.

I mean there's plenty of anecdotal evidence of the Purple Sun suicide flying wizard eviscerating entire armies (it happens, no doubt, and was a HUGE source of whine when 8th dropped), but look at how much it's actually played today.

Leave you on the back foot heavily? You only risk like 150 points...

Aluinn
19-10-2013, 20:33
Leave you on the back foot heavily? You only risk like 150 points...

Admittedly it's not much in a vacuum but in a tournament it's very significant because you're likely to have close games if you do well. Also, it's a supporting wizard or other Hero of some sort who could have been casting useful spells all game (or being a scroll caddy :)) but instead is, if the trick fails, in a position where they're almost certain to just die right out.

For some other comparisons consider that 150 points can buy you some medium-powered monsters or a full Lord plus Hero's allotment of magic items.

Judochop
19-10-2013, 21:08

How many points for a flying wizard with Psun that your willing to sacrifice? The darksteed is 10 pts. I agree it is a one trick pony, but one you cant ignore. Ill try it out in 10 games and report back.

Brotheroracle
19-10-2013, 21:29
Or most importantly for 25 points less you can get a unit of Warlocks. who come with 2 excellent spells. I think I'd rather just do 2x5 warlocks over the suicide caster.

But then again I fully expect Warlocks to be comp'ed in any tournament that has a comp system.

Citadel97501
19-10-2013, 23:22
That is a good point, brotheroracle. However I and the 20 to 30 players we have in my area, refuse to play in any tournament that uses a comp system, all it does is allow people to complain about a list. Building your army to deal with your weaknesses and utilize your strengths is an important part of the game.

Brotheroracle
19-10-2013, 23:50
No comp where I live but I bet it will be many places.

thrawn
19-10-2013, 23:59
unleash a massive amount of ranged and magic if they get first turn, seems like a risky one trick pony only saving grace is the cheapness. 1) if your opponent sees/knows thats what you intend to do then he will stop it by vanguard blocking. 2) you really need to get IF cause you're level 2 chances are his level 4 can stop it on 6 dice too. 3) after getting this off on an opponent, depending on how bad it wrecks his army hes sure to prevent you from repeating it again.

it is not a trick, you can put her with a unit of warlocks thus giving her even a 4++ unit. that's like someone telling me a daemon prince with MoN is a one trick pony.

it's a good tactic and an effective tactic. even if you don't role the 6th spell, if you give her lore of death she can snipe characters and monsters.

BTW, I think that rule is beyond cheesy! mount your character on a steed and he gains fast cavalry?! ridiculous.

Kain187
20-10-2013, 02:00
So you are planning on 2 dark casters to achieve this? vs most armies with a minimum of 3 str killing half. Why not do the same strat with 2 death casters where your initiative tests vs a good portion of armies are 3 and lower. The spell gives you a new spell phase. If you ever try these spells you would be surprised how often you do not cast the spell, it misfires, doesn't go far enough or it gets dispelled. Setting this up assuming your anchoring it in a unit of locks your risking 280ish points or dark riders for 260? If you want a mindless strat stick to the blocks of witch elves and 6 dice mind-razor.

Judochop
20-10-2013, 06:10
So you are planning on 2 dark casters to achieve this? vs most armies with a minimum of 3 str killing half. Why not do the same strat with 2 death casters where your initiative tests vs a good portion of armies are 3 and lower. The spell gives you a new spell phase. If you ever try these spells you would be surprised how often you do not cast the spell, it misfires, doesn't go far enough or it gets dispelled. Setting this up assuming your anchoring it in a unit of locks your risking 280ish points or dark riders for 260? If you want a mindless strat stick to the blocks of witch elves and 6 dice mind-razor.

You dont not have to risk anything with the warlocks..you can play them however you intend to. They are not ment to be sacrificed in anyway.

MOMUS
20-10-2013, 09:23
Came here looking for DE autowin, all I found was some dude saying throw 6 dice at the superspell....

Soulless
20-10-2013, 10:26
And for the wind of magic you roll 2 and 2 - yeay sir - full proof plan :D Autowin ROTFL ... - oh and you bumped into white lion bunker - AUTO LOSE ...

Slashattack
20-10-2013, 11:06
This strategy is too similar to old Death Sorceress on a Dark Pegasus, who would fly down the flank, 12 dice Purple Sun and activate the old Power Scroll, and this is far less effective by a long shot. Surely a unit of Warlocks getting among the enemy and casting a Soul Blight bubble is going to be a better tactic. They're much tougher than a Sorceress on a Dark Steed, the spell is easier to cast and they're guaranteed to have it!. Plus they will be among the enemy on turn 1 with vanguard and their normal movement allowance.

MOMUS
20-10-2013, 11:30
And for the wind of magic you roll 2 and 2 - yeay sir - full proof plan :D Autowin ROTFL ... - oh and you bumped into white lion bunker - AUTO LOSE ...

No, no, no. You're doing it wrong, you have to always roll double six on the first turn ;)

FatTrucker
20-10-2013, 17:22
Not sure this is even a strategy is it? effectively get into position and 6 dice an uber spell?

Dependent on rolling your spell, getting first turn, getting into position, casting your spell, IF'ing your spell, and then doing enough casualties for it to make a difference. Bit random and situational to be a game winning strategy.

I have a similar strategy against Dark Elves, Cannon shot the Dark Elf sorceress on Pegasus in turn 1. ;)

Most armies have access to some form of uber spell and the ability to get the caster into position in turn 1 then throw 6 dice at it, or am I missing something fundamentally unique to DE's?

Althwen
21-10-2013, 06:55
Hardly seems like an AUTOwin button to me since there's not a small amount of luck involved, most importantly rolling double 6's. Not to mention getting the first turn... and then not rolling a 'miss'... etc.

No, this certainly seems like a nasty trick to pull but hardly an autowin.

Wesser
21-10-2013, 09:14
Well guys

The fact is if a character who doesn't have the Fast Cavalry rule joins a unit of Fast Cavalry then that units LOSES that rule.

Aka. assuming ofc that a Dark Steed does not give the Fast cavalry special rule by itself (why should it?, no other steed does) then you can't Vanguard at all and you can't do the reforms, move after fleeing or any of the other stuff.

But sure. Give that lvl 2 the Forbidden Rod and that sacrifice her for some first turn madness, but she'll have to do that same as any other cast in the game

laribold
21-10-2013, 09:53
assuming ofc that a Dark Steed does not give the Fast cavalry special rule by itself (why should it?, no other steed does)

Just to note that the Wood Elf Elven Steeds do have the Fast Cavalry rule and do allow you to vanguard/join fast cav units without hampering their abilities.

Frankly
21-10-2013, 10:01
Came here looking for DE autowin, all I found was some dude saying throw 6 dice at the superspell....

^^^^ this.

Its so situational, getting first turn, getting into position(the hardest part), getting 6 dice, not misfiring, getting 6s or getting dispelled.

Don't get me wrong, its totally a sound way to play your lvl2 mage. Its how I play mine and if all the stars aline its awesome, but really, after 7-8 games with my all cavalry DE list with fast cavalry as core, I can tell do straight away that a reasonable player will deploy against your fast cavalry, countering with his ranged, vanguard, scouts, threaten with chariots, flyers, cavalry.

Its not auto win, its just a really nice magic phase option.

Roshan
21-10-2013, 10:15
Hello,

So here is a nasty little combo that comes in under 150pts that has potential to wreck your enemies army from turn 1.

a)lvl2 sorc dark magic on a dark steed (fast cav).
b)Assuming you have a lvl 4 dark magic sorc, roll her magic first making sure not to get the 6 spell.
c)Now generate the lvl 2 magic, you should have the 6 spell now. If you want it for sure just take Tome of furion. (but then over 150 pts)

If you get first turn, vangard for 12. Then march 18 to a flank. Throw 6 dice at black horror hope for IF.
The tricky part is making sure you dont roll miss fire.

So weve dodged the snake pit, missed the rolling boulder, avoided the poison blow pipes.........oooooooh forgot the trap door.....noooooooo.

This is a "well if you get the correct rolls and chance" then you auto win.

lets break it down

1) What if you roll 3,4,5,6 on your lvl 4. swap 6 for sig..... then roll 1,2 on your level 2....first fail
2) Doesnt vanguard happen before the roll for first turn? like scouts? (im not 100% sure on this )
3) Not sure on the fast cav rule on the dark steed gives vanguard
4) What if you dont get first turn....
5) what if people are not tactical idiots and actually place their units apart...
6) what if you roll poorly on the winds of magic....
7) If you dont roll IF your screwed....
8) i could keep going but meh...you get the idea.

I think you might have overestimated a one trick pony idea here my friend.
I mean, a chaos Deamon prince of nurgle can table armies by iteself, if the correct circumstances happen.......not that it will every game. Yet thats not a chaos Auto win...

Yowzo
21-10-2013, 12:15
Just to note that the Wood Elf Elven Steeds do have the Fast Cavalry rule and do allow you to vanguard/join fast cav units without hampering their abilities.

And goblin wolves.

Brotheroracle
21-10-2013, 16:44
It is not an "if" about the hero or lord choice gaining fast cav bit. When on a darksteed a dark elf hero or lord has the fast cav rules just as surely they gain fly when mounted on a dragon.

liddan
21-10-2013, 18:08
So weve dodged the snake pit, missed the rolling boulder, avoided the poison blow pipes.........oooooooh forgot the trap door.....noooooooo.

This is a "well if you get the correct rolls and chance" then you auto win.

lets break it down

1) What if you roll 3,4,5,6 on your lvl 4. swap 6 for sig..... then roll 1,2 on your level 2....first fail
2) Doesnt vanguard happen before the roll for first turn? like scouts? (im not 100% sure on this )
3) Not sure on the fast cav rule on the dark steed gives vanguard
4) What if you dont get first turn....
5) what if people are not tactical idiots and actually place their units apart...
6) what if you roll poorly on the winds of magic....
7) If you dont roll IF your screwed....
8) i could keep going but meh...you get the idea.

I think you might have overestimated a one trick pony idea here my friend.
I mean, a chaos Deamon prince of nurgle can table armies by iteself, if the correct circumstances happen.......not that it will every game. Yet thats not a chaos Auto win...

All fast cav have vanguard automatically and the rider gets fast cav rule if the mount has it (this isn't in the rulebook but has been errata'd). I agree that it is in no way a autowin-button. At most it's a medium risk pocket tactic with potentially high reward.

Don Zeko
21-10-2013, 18:11
All fast cav have vanguard automatically and the rider gets fast cav rule if the mount has it (this isn't in the rulebook but has been errata'd). I agree that it is in no way a autowin-button. At most it's a medium risk pocket tactic with potentially high reward.

Plus you can use a magic item to ensure that the mage knows Black Horror, but I agree with your bottom line.

Jind_Singh
21-10-2013, 18:41
And how come no one has mentioned...

You Vanguard THEN you roll to see who gets first turn!!!

So this vangaurding if you have 1st turn is fish food as you'll never know if you get turn 1 BEFORE you Vanguard!

End of story - jack-a-nory

Ramius4
21-10-2013, 22:12
And how come no one has mentioned...

You Vanguard THEN you roll to see who gets first turn!!!

So this vangaurding if you have 1st turn is fish food as you'll never know if you get turn 1 BEFORE you Vanguard!

End of story - jack-a-nory

I was just reading through this thread and thinking the same thing. You stole my post! :p

In addition, if you don't get that first turn, your Vanguarding Warlock unit (along with the Sorceress) will probably get charged out of existence.

SanDiegoSurrealist
22-10-2013, 02:04
It is the Dark Elf Rube Goldberg Machine autowin button.

SteveW
22-10-2013, 03:56
So the word automatic doesn't spring to mind when I hear...

Vanguard, then...

Step 1: get the first turn(so you don't get shot)
Step 2: get a high enough roll on winds of magic
Step 3: get irresistible force(only like 30% chance on 6 dice)
Step 4: Don't get a misfire(16% chance)

Auto?

Lord Dan
22-10-2013, 07:21
Why does a lone character on a Dark Steed have Vanguard? Does the Dark Steed entry come with the "Fast Cavalry" rule?

Venkh
22-10-2013, 08:46
Yes, the steed has the fast cav rule. Very handy indeed

Ramius4
23-10-2013, 02:34
Why does a lone character on a Dark Steed have Vanguard? Does the Dark Steed entry come with the "Fast Cavalry" rule?

Yes. You can also get it on Chaos Warrior characters with a Steed of Slaanesh. I thought Wood Elves Steeds had it as well, but I could be misremembering.

loveless
23-10-2013, 14:55
It is the Dark Elf Rube Goldberg Machine autowin button.

It doesn't make breakfast at all! It just shoots you! :(

Honestly, this whole thing is far from an auto-win and incredibly awkward. It's also nothing new - we've had people trying the "send out a wizard with the uber-spell right away" strategy since the first few weeks of 8th Edition.

Battleworthy Arts
23-10-2013, 16:00
That is an awful lot of "ifs" for something called an "autowin".

Lord Dan
23-10-2013, 18:42
It's also nothing new - we've had people trying the "send out a wizard with the uber-spell right away" strategy since the first few weeks of 8th Edition.
Yeah, but this time the strategy is: "send out a wizard on a horse with the uber-spell right away." Totally different.

loveless
23-10-2013, 18:45
That is an awful lot of "ifs" for something called an "autowin".

True. I've got an autowin button for DE in this vein.

1) Take a unit of 60 Witch Elves with a Cauldron of Blood.
2) Only roll 6's.
3) Automatically win.

Yeah, but this time the strategy is: "send out a wizard on a horse with the uber-spell right away." Totally different.

Ohhh...a horse without wings. My bad.

Lord Dan
23-10-2013, 18:48
Ohhh...a horse without wings. My bad.

Exactly. What fun would an auto-win be with something as efficient as a flyer? It's far more of an auto-win if you vanguard and risk having your lone wizard shot to death if you don't pull off first turn.

MOMUS
23-10-2013, 23:37
You know lizardmen could do this quite efficiently, as a Slann can swap a spell. Give über spell to a priest with the cloak of feathers, worst comes to worst the Slann is still safe and you've only killed a level 1.

Lord Dan
24-10-2013, 01:36
Give über spell to a priest with the cloak of feathers, worst comes to worst the Slann is still safe and you've only killed a level 1.

I think we just discovered the LM autowin button.

thrawn
24-10-2013, 02:14
Well guys

The fact is if a character who doesn't have the Fast Cavalry rule joins a unit of Fast Cavalry then that units LOSES that rule.

Aka. assuming ofc that a Dark Steed does not give the Fast cavalry special rule by itself (why should it?, no other steed does) then you can't Vanguard at all and you can't do the reforms, move after fleeing or any of the other stuff.

But sure. Give that lvl 2 the Forbidden Rod and that sacrifice her for some first turn madness, but she'll have to do that same as any other cast in the game

i'm assuming you don't have the DE book then? the army specifically states that a character mounted on a dark steed is fast cavalry, so ya, they're fast cavalry.

@ ramius, WE characters on steed don't get fast cavalry, i'm assuming that will be fixed when the new book is released.

so this may not be "auto-win" but I am quite surprised at the negative feedback. this is a really good tactic. DE are the only army that can have fast cavalry characters, and a somewhat "heavy" fast cavalry (4++ and 2 poisoned attacks S4). me and my friends going to a tournament next month are already preparing for the warlock busses that will surely be there. i'm wondering how many of you critics play this game compitively or just in your friends basement?

I see the next broken army being:

dread lord, 1+, fast cav., 4++, magic weapon
level 4 lore of life, fast cav.

5 heros, all 1+, one crown of command, 1 BSB, all fast cav., sprinkle magic items as desired (preferably some MR).

core . . . who cares, probably some dark riders and a horde of witches

special, 4 RBTs, what else?

15 warlocks.

done. basically should win most games.

BTW, it's already being said warlocks will be comped, so anyone here who thinks they're no good? you might want to re-read their rules.

getting back to the topic, this is definitely a viable and effective tactic, maybe not auto win, but no one here seems to be giving it as much credit as it deserves.

Lord Dan
24-10-2013, 02:25
i
so this may not be "auto-win" but I am quite surprised at the negative feedback. this is a really good tactic. DE are the only army that can have fast cavalry characters, and a somewhat "heavy" fast cavalry (4++ and 2 poisoned attacks S4). me and my friends going to a tournament next month are already preparing for the warlock busses that will surely be there. i'm wondering how many of you critics play this game compitively or just in your friends basement?

It's received negative feedback because:

1. It's an old strategy.
2. It's a gamey strategy.
3. It's an inferior version of an old, gamey strategy.

While other versions involve a cheap caster who can fly (and therefore move over blocks and move quickly enough in the first turn not to have to rely on Vanguard), this one banks on utilizing a combination of Vanguard AND getting the first turn. In those ~50% of the cases in which you don't get first turn your wizard is going to be 12" up the field with only a 6+ armor save to protect her. No thanks.

Yowzo
24-10-2013, 11:42
so this may not be "auto-win" but I am quite surprised at the negative feedback. this is a really good tactic. DE are the only army that can have fast cavalry characters.

Goblin characters can ride on fast cav wolves, though only get to a mundane 4+ but they're cheap enough to compensate.
WoC also have access to steeds of slaanesh.

The 1+ might be a bit OTT but not game breaking at all.

MOMUS
24-10-2013, 12:06
It's received negative feedback because:

1. It's an old strategy.
2. It's a gamey strategy.
3. It's an inferior version of an old, gamey strategy.

While other versions involve a cheap caster who can fly (and therefore move over blocks and move quickly enough in the first turn not to have to rely on Vanguard), this one banks on utilizing a combination of Vanguard AND getting the first turn. In those ~50% of the cases in which you don't get first turn your wizard is going to be 12" up the field with only a 6+ armor save to protect her. No thanks.

^^^this

It's also a really obvious and unsubtle tactic, pretty sure any opponent will see it coming a mile off when you decide to place your caster on a steed in a unit that could vanguard.

Rake
24-10-2013, 13:31
Please run that list against me... please please please...

Symrivven
24-10-2013, 15:03
Please run that list against me... please please please...

Why would you want that, didn't you read the title it is autowin, you can't win against it. Do you like to lose?

Spiney Norman
24-10-2013, 15:14
You know lizardmen could do this quite efficiently, as a Slann can swap a spell. Give über spell to a priest with the cloak of feathers, worst comes to worst the Slann is still safe and you've only killed a level 1.

Errr, when you say the Slann can "swap a spell", you know he can only do that with another Slann right, not a skink priest? Unless you're talking about the High magic lore attribute, but I fail to see how it applies in this case.

Captain Collius
24-10-2013, 17:19
I think we just discovered the LM autowin button.

Wrong we already have that. Troglodons.

MOMUS
24-10-2013, 19:03
Wrong. It's trogladong.

SanDiegoSurrealist
24-10-2013, 19:30
Just to pile on:

Herald of Slaanesh on a Steed of Slaanesh is fast cav.

Captain Collius
24-10-2013, 19:35
Just to pile on:

Herald of Slaanesh on a Steed of Slaanesh is fast cav.

Isn't Cacophnic choir spam basically based off this supposed auto-win tactic.

SanDiegoSurrealist
24-10-2013, 20:25
Isn't Cacophnic choir spam basically based off this supposed auto-win tactic.

Old Cacophnic Choir, new Cacophnic Choir is meh.

Jaminn
24-10-2013, 20:51
my mate was telling me about the skaven enginseer that does this with skitterleap and that crazy **** rokkit they have

Whaagnomore
25-10-2013, 06:58
As a LM-player, I'm not overly concerned by this tactic. Dispel scroll for the spell and a ton of poison darts for the locks/sorc. I am much more concerned about the WoC version with death and a daemonic steed.

Grey Man
26-10-2013, 11:43

Lol, no kidding.

Sexiest_hero
26-10-2013, 14:17
Totally face this rather than the unkillable dread lord and ole dark magic!

MOMUS
26-10-2013, 16:18
Sexiest hero is teh sexiest and also right in this case :yes:

Frankly
26-10-2013, 20:14
so this may not be "auto-win" but I am quite surprised at the negative feedback.

You've pretty much answered it yourself. The title says 'autowin', the tactic isn't, so yeah theres going to be negative feed back.

This is a really good tactic.

... but its still not an autowin button.

DE are the only army that can have fast cavalry characters..

Not true.

... and a somewhat "heavy" fast cavalry (4++ and 2 poisoned attacks S4). me and my friends going to a tournament next month are already preparing for the warlock busses that will surely be there.

Again not true at all, not even close to being heavy cavalry, after palying a good 15+ games with them, I can say for sure 4++ won't hold up like the 1+, but I don't think many people needed that pointed out.

i'm wondering how many of you critics play this game compitively or just in your friends basement?

Whats this got to do with anything, I wasn't aware we had to go through background checks to post on this thread, it doesn't make anyones posts any more or less valid than yours. I actually play in a basement(garage) 2 gaming tables, beers, friends, its nice actually. I'm on parent leave so yeah, a fare bit of gaming getting done with the DE armybook.

I see the next broken army being:

Why? Because your playing it? A cavalry bus, wow. Noone has seen that before accept from VC, Empire, LM, HE, Brets ...

...basically should win most games.

lol

BTW, it's already being said warlocks will be comped, so anyone here who thinks they're no good? you might want to re-read their rules.

Actually that means nothing at all. Since everything is comped in swedish comp.

...getting back to the topic, this is definitely a viable and effective tactic, maybe not auto win

... yeah lets stay on topic and not write about the glory of all winning armylists that we personally play, that would be great.

N1AK
28-10-2013, 14:23
me and my friends going to a tournament next month are already preparing for the warlock busses that will surely be there. i'm wondering how many of you critics play this game compitively or just in your friends basement?

We should really have a forum rule that requires anyone who brings up tournament performance as a measure of opinion validity should post a link to a 3rd party source showing their own (rankingsHQ perhaps). I'm yet to see a single high ranked player ever try and discredit another opinion on that basis.

As others have said, it isn't that it isn't a viable tactic. It's that it's not an autowin (which your title falsely claims) and it isn't new or clever (people have been throwing expendable characters forwards to 6 dice mega spells for the whole edition). Couple that with the fact you've made various assertions that are entirely false and the fact that rather than accept any of this you've begun aggressively attacking the position of anyone who points the above out and it's hardly shocking that you're not getting a lot of support.

Roshan
28-10-2013, 16:38
I honestly cant see the big song and dance about warlocks. OMG their a wizard unit!! ******** hell so are pink horrors lets all run for the hills!

for the points costs, size of units and effectiveness, they can be coutered fairly easily. Anything with a strong Anti magic like Dwarfs would just laugh at them.

Then again.......6 diceing any spell is Auto Win :rolleyes:

Don Zeko
28-10-2013, 17:09
I honestly cant see the big song and dance about warlocks. OMG their a wizard unit!! ******** hell so are pink horrors lets all run for the hills!

for the points costs, size of units and effectiveness, they can be coutered fairly easily. Anything with a strong Anti magic like Dwarfs would just laugh at them.

Then again.......6 diceing any spell is Auto Win :rolleyes:

They're a wizard unit that, unlike Pink Horrors, is still effective as a fighting unit for its cost. I'd pay 25 points for fast cav with a 4+ ward that get ASF, 2 strength 4 attacks, poison, and movement 9. Even if you don't cast any spells with them, they give you an additional channel attempt, and they know two great spells, unlike horrors, which know spells from the terrible lore of zeentch. There's just no comparison here.