PDA

View Full Version : 1000 points Dark Elves (mounted)

McBlobbicus
22-10-2013, 01:48
My Games Workshop is about to start a 1000 point narrative campaign (possibly expanding to 1500 at some point), so I decided it was a good time to start a new army. And with all the snazzy new Dark Elf stuff coming out, I caved in and tried to make a list. From what I see, Dark Rider are awesome, so I decided I'd try and do an all mounted army. Is this a viable idea? I'm sort of 100% new to Dark Elves.

Lords
Supreme Sorceress: lvl 3, Dark Steed - 205 pts

Core
5 Dark Riders: Shields, Repeater Crossbows, Musician - 110 pts

Special
10 Cold One Knights: Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame - 340 pts

Rare
5 Doomfire Warlocks - 125 pts <-Sorc here

Total - 1000 pts

Cold One Knights in my list come off as a bit of an anvil, or at least they should play the part after choice enemy units have been shot and blasted with spells. Someone I showed the list to also suggested merging two Dark Rider units and giving them full command (after dropping flame banner and a musician) so that they can pack a punch on a flank charge etc. I really wish I could make the Sorc a level 4 (I'd have to drop command and flame banner off the Cold One Knights), but I think at 1k a level 3 is good enough, though I'm not sure what lore to give her.

Romark
23-10-2013, 11:23
Nice. Personally i prefer the flexibility and maneuverability of the 3 units of Dark Riders. And with the Warlocks being surprisingly good in combat the Dark Riders job is simple, shoot stuff, when Cold Ones charge a good unit, supporting charge, and when the Warlocks charge a lesser unit, support that one as well. That still leaves you a unit to monster/war machine/character hunt.

For the Lore, i'd be tempted to take Dark. You probably have a casting advantage (i think lvl 3 may be a common theme across a 1k tourney) and it has great spells. Bladewind will be excellent against most stuff, especially if the Warlocks get Soulblight off.

All in all, very good i think. The only thing i think some may have a problem with is it is somewhat one dimensional. I don't find that a problem though, it's a nice theme.

Just make sure you get the charges, if you don't your doing something wrong though!

McBlobbicus
25-10-2013, 23:39
I like trying to give my lists themes when I can. Updated my list though, had a discussion in the Tactics thread and it's made me change some things up a little.

Heroes
Sorceress: lvl 2, Dark Steed, Talisman of Preservation - 170 pts

Core

Special
10 Cold One Knights: Full Command, War Banner - 365 pts

Rare
5 Doomfire Warlocks: Master of Warlocks - 135 pts <-Sorc here

Total - 1000 pts

Dropped the Sorceress down to level 2, I decided a 4+ ward save was more important than an additional spell and wound. After that I had points to spare, all I could think of doing was giving the Cold One Knights a War Banner (to help with combat resolution) and the Doomfire Warlocks a champion, if not for the additional attack (and challenge eater) then for having nothing else to spend the spare points on.