PDA

View Full Version : 1500 points VC

Whirligig
22-10-2013, 14:45
Afternoon all. I'm completely new to writing army lists (I've tended to build up a collection of things that are shiny and then put them on the table), thought I'd try to actually have a plan in mind this time around. The fact that I'm sick of losing almost every game is completely irrelevant ;). All comments and feedback gratefully received.

1500 Pts - Vampire Counts Roster

1 Vampire Lord, Level 2 Upgrade, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sword of Bloodshed, Nightshroud 364 points

1 Necromancer, Level 2 100 points

1 Necromancer, Level 2 100 points

1 Wight King, BSB, Ogre Blade, Shield 154 points

1 Spirit Host, 45 points

1 Spirit Host, 45 points

20 Zombies, Musician, Standard Bearer, 70 points

20 Skeleton Warriors, Musician, Standard Bearer, 120 points

20 Skeleton Warriors, Musician, Standard Bearer, 120 points

18 Grave Guard, Musician, Standard Bearer, 218 points

5 Black Knights 105 pts

Lord Dan
23-10-2013, 01:05
Hey bud. Not a bad start, though I'd recommend a few tweaks:

-You have way to many points in characters for 1500 points, which I know is easy to do with the wonderful selection our book contains. Frankly I wouldn't invest in a Vampire Lord until you break the 2,000 point mark, as hero-level Vampires are more than enough muscle for your army as it currently stands. I'd recommend a Lv. 4 necromancer with master of the dead (given your low-model-count skeletons), and a Lv. 1 Vampire hero kitted to taste. You can keep your wight king, but keep him cheap: enchanted shield + BSB is a personal favorite of mine.

-You should only take as many units of core as you can effectively support, and in this case I think 4 bunker-type units is probably too much for your Vampire and Necromancer to handle (assuming you're putting the Wight King with the GG). I'd drop one of the skeleton units and one of the zombie units entirely in favor of a unit of ghouls, which are fantastic in low-character lists because they're completely capable of supporting themselves. In this case you could afford a unit of 18, which would run nicely in a 6x3 formation. Honestly you could even drop the other unit of zombies (they're just so easy to raise) for another 7 ghouls, however now we're getting more into the realm of personal playstyle and taste than list improvements.

-5 Black Knights aren't capable of doing anything unsupported. I would drop them entirely until you get to a point where you can expand them to a unit of 10+ with a character to run with them, and with those points bulk out your Grave Guard a bit and purchase the Banner of the Barrows for them.

I hope this helps!

MasterSparks
24-10-2013, 07:39
I would combine your 2 units of skeletons into a single unit. 20 skeletons are a bit too few to be able to do much of anything. If you start them out at 35-40 you don't have to rely on magic to bring them up to a battle-ready size in time.

Building on some of Dan's advice, if you have a large unit of skeletons, a solid group of grave guard and 2 bunches of zombies as bunkers and fodder with spirit hosts on the side you have a solid army for 1500 points.

Whirligig
24-10-2013, 21:16
Thanks for the advice guys. Originally I wanted the Necromancers on Corpse Carts too! This is my 'shiny, most use' problem. The armies end up looking cool, but spending far more time piled up at the side of the board than bestriding the centre of it like the mighty gaming colossus I imagine.

So, after much fiddling about:

Master Necromancer, Level 4, Nightshroud, Staff of Damnation 300 points

Vampire ,Heavy Armour, Shield, Ogre Blade, Red Fury 201 points

Wight King, BSB, Enchanted Shield 154 points

1 Spirit Host, 45 points

1 Spirit Host, 45 points

30 Skeleton Warriors, full command 180 points

19 Grave Guard, full command 239 points

21 Crypt ghouls plus ghast 220

Can't believe how many more points I had to play around with once I changed the characters over!

Basic gameplan at the moment is use the BSB in the Grave guard to smack things in the face, while the zombies lurch around and hopefully get larger during the game. Stick the necromancer in the skeletons, and the vampire wherever he's most needed to kill things. If I play around with the points (I'm at 1485), I can probably chop a model or two to squeeze in the level 2 upgrade for the vampire so I have some backup magic (and don't start falling apart when the Necromancer picks up an irresistible force to the face).

Thoughts?

Lord Dan
24-10-2013, 22:13
Much better. I still think you have too many points in Zombies, however with Vampires there's no such thing as a "bad" list.

MasterSparks
25-10-2013, 11:03
Agreed, the list is good. I would swap your character positions around though - put the vampire with the skeletons and the necromancer with a unit of zombies. This way you'll have 3 offensive units (grave guard, skeletons & ghouls). Keep your necromancer's unit of zombies behind your other units and just let it grow from your magic. If you notice a hole in your battleline you can let the necromancer leave the unit and use those zombies to plug that gap.

Bottom line, don't ever get your master necromancer into close combat. He's not meant for the front line. :)

Lord Dan
25-10-2013, 14:43
Ohh, I didn't even notice that. Good catch, MS. Yes, listen to his wisdom. Lv. 4 in combat = bad.

Whirligig
26-10-2013, 21:29
Keep your necromancer's unit of zombies behind your other units and just let it grow from your magic.

Grow? I thought I could just keep rebuilding it, or summoning new units of zombies? Or have I had a numpty moment and missed something?

Thanks for all the advice. Really looking forward to getting started on these guys. Roll on payday!

MasterSparks
27-10-2013, 06:12
Grow? I thought I could just keep rebuilding it, or summoning new units of zombies?

The signature spell of the lore of vampires will add to zombie units above their starting number of zombies. If you cast it you will add 2D6+4 zombies to the unit from your master necromancer. If you can cast it a couple of times early on in the game you'll be able to end up with a rather big group.

Which is another thing - while you're keeping your necromancer's unit behind your other units, try to make sure that the necro can also reach (with a range of 6'', usually) the second unit of zombies with the Invocation of Nehek so that both units will grow at the same time. Your vampire can also choose to have this spell and if you can keep him within range as well you will better your chances of growing your zombies, although since he's on the frontline he's unlikely to reach your necromancer's unit in the rear.

If your opponents are cool with it, ask them if you can use something else as stand-ins for your large number of zombies at this point of your collecting. One of the funniest things about VC is the big hordes of zombies, after all. :)

Good luck with your army!