PDA

View Full Version : First WOC Army List: Need Some Help

MaggotHead
23-10-2013, 18:18
Hey!
I'm new to WOC and I've thrown together this little 1,000 point Nurgle list. Seeing as I've been out of the hobby for a few years now, I'm not up on the current rules. Because of this I'm kinda in the dark when it comes to putting together a list. As of now I'm interested in doing a mono god Nurgle army, but I'm open to all suggestions. All I've bought so far is a box of warriors so I've essentially got a blank slate to work with. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

1,000 Point Nurgle Warband

Chaos Sorcerer: 195 Points
- Level 2
- Shrieking Blade
- Enchanted Shield
- Chaos Familiar
- Mark of Nurgle

20 Chaos Warriors: 410 Points
- Full Command
- Mark of Nurgle
- Great Weapons

10 Chaos Warhounds: 70 Points
- Scaly Hide

10 Marauder Horsemen: 210 Points
- Full Command
- Mark of Nurgle
- Flails

3 Chaos Trolls: 114 Points
- Additional Hand Weapon

Total: 999 Points

rydhus
24-10-2013, 17:28
Hi! First of all let me say, play whatever models you like. Its better to have an army you like painting and playing instead of an optimised list.

I would put the sorcerer on a daemonic mount. 5 toughness and 3 wounds is absolutely worth it. perhaps soul feeder to regain lost wounds. also, a ward save is pretty good in 1000 pt. list so consider a talisman.

Take a look at the chariots. Core choice, hard hitting unit is pretty unmatched. Personaly I dislike marauder horsemen, you could skip them. you could take Knights as a bunker for sorcerer on daemonic mount.

I've seen some hard Nurgle lists build around trolls and Throgg. He makes them trolls core choice and are a pain to kill. Festus might be a nice choice as well.

I dont see how those warhounds are good at this list. Perhaps split them in two units and give them vanguard to gain the strategic upperhand before the game is even started.

I think this list is ok, but is going to have a hard time against ogre's or any shooty army.
That are my thoughts.

MaggotHead
25-10-2013, 02:17
Thanks for the reply!
I will definitely take those suggestions into consideration. The reason I included the marauder horsemen was to give myself a faster unit and fill up my necessary second core choice. Then I figured I wouldn't want them to be running alone so I included the hounds. I guess knights and a chariot would be a better choice though like you said. Plus if I included Throgg then those trolls would become core too. Do you think 2 heroes would soak up too many points for a 1,000 point list? I definitely want to include a sorcerer, and I'm thinking about including either Festus or Throgg like you said. Oh and speaking of trolls, is 3 a good unit size? I feel like either 4 or 6 would give them some more staying power but I'm not sure how many is too many. Any other help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Fighting Newfoundlander
25-10-2013, 04:01
well your warriors cover you 25% core. I agree that horsemen are the weak link. I'd say drop them, and add another unit of trolls, but 6 w/o 2hw. With the three you have they'd be terrifying at 1000. I'd drop scales on the dogs and split them in two, and use that 10 pts to give the warriors a magic banner. throgg would be great, but might be too much at 1000 as you say. Could be done dropping dogs to 5, losing 1 troll, and the rest in warriors and gear off the mage.

Fighting Newfoundlander
25-10-2013, 04:05
and trolls are good in almost any set up, 3,4,6,18, but you need your general or it's game over.

MaggotHead
25-10-2013, 04:36
Oh so now you have to have 25% of your points in core as opposed to the old 2 choices minimum? So you're saying I should have two units of trolls, one of 3 and one of 6? That does sound like a force to be reckoned with at 1,000 points. Do you think warhounds are even necessary? I originally just kinda threw them in there cause I felt like I needed something fast, but trolls move rather quickly themselves so I'm wondering if I even need the hounds

Fritzallmighty
25-10-2013, 04:57
Warhounds are great, even if just to make your opponent drop important units before you. That being said, i would drop the scaly hide upgrade. If you really want more elite hounds, poison, or vanguard are better buys.

MaggotHead
25-10-2013, 06:03
Okay so here's a modified list I put together. I feel like a lot of points are going into my sorcerer, but everything I've upgraded him with seems almost necessary. Let me know what y'all think.

Chaos Sorcerer: 265 Points
- Level 2
- Enchanted Shield
- Talisman of Preservation
- Soul Feeder
- Mark of Nurgle
- Daemonic Mount
- Barding

18 Chaos Warriors: 372 Points
- Full Command
- Mark of Nurgle
- Great Weapons

5 Chaos Knights: 255 Points
- Full Command
- Mark of Nurgle
- Ensorcelled Weapons

3 Chaos Trolls: 105 Points

Total: 997 Points

rydhus
25-10-2013, 10:07
I think your sorcerer is overpriced. 25% of 1000 is 250. Drop the barding. I think your sorcerer will live with a 2+ AS. So change the enchanted shield for a Charmed shield. the 2+ ward save against first wound is great.

I never take a unit champion unless its a character bunker. Extra wounds on the unit is better IMO.

With WS5 and I5, chaos warriors are pretty much first against most targets. I think you might want to switch to Halberds. S5 is good enough at I5.

Take a look at Banner of Swiftness (+1 movement is awesome) and Gleaming pennant (1 use re-roll leadership test). I always find the 20 points to squize those two in.

MaggotHead
25-10-2013, 14:20
Thanks! I'm pretty set on leaving the warriors how they are just because I love the look of great weapons, especially on Nurgle models. Plus I know they are going to be tough enough to eat some shots and still hit back strong even if they aren't striking first. Does being mounted still give you +1 to your save? And barding an additional +1? Sorry for the basic rules questions I haven't gotten my hands on a rule book yet and it's been years since I've played. Do you think the Talisman of Preservation is worth it, or should I change that to a Talisman of Endurance to save myself 15 points? Oh and which do you think would be a better bang for my buck, lances or ensorcelled weapons on my knights?

rydhus
25-10-2013, 16:25
Yeah, +1 ac from mount and +1 from barded. I find 4++ ward pretty good but thats up to you. Ensorcelled weapons are my favorite because knights dont kill much units in 1st round (except warmachines etc.).

Have you seen the avatars of war miniatures for the nurgle great weapons. Check those out, their awesome.

MaggotHead
26-10-2013, 03:41
Okay cool. So heres what I've come up with. The only thing I'm debating is whether to keep it like this or drop the additional hand weapons on the trolls and the gleaming pennant on the knights in order to make the talisman of endurance a talisman of preservation on my sorcerer. Lemme know what y'all think. Sorry for the continual posting of my updated list, just trying to keep things straight.

Chaos Sorcerer: 235 Points
- Level 2
- Enchanted Shield
- Talisman of Endurance
- Soul Feeder
- Mark of Nurgle
- Daemonic Mount

18 Chaos Warriors: 387 Points
- Full Command
- Banner of Swiftness
- Mark of Nurgle
- Great Weapons

5 Chaos Knights: 260 Points
- Full Command
- Gleaming Pennant
- Mark of Nurgle
- Ensorcelled Weapons

3 Chaos Trolls: 114 Points
- Additional Hand Weapons

Total: 996 Points

rydhus
26-10-2013, 19:45
Though your sorcerer is fragile versus cannons, I think you gotta play some matches to see How each unit behaves :)

Fighting Newfoundlander
28-10-2013, 01:04
I like the new list. If you find you're facing cannons a lot, you'll want to stick the sorcerer or foot with the big unit, but it depends on you opponents.

rydhus
28-10-2013, 16:38
Most unexperienced players dont know How to counter a WoC list. I Still think u need to take a charmed shield on sorc. It gives a 2+ ward save versus first wound. So even a cannon cannot kill him in the first turn.

MaggotHead
28-10-2013, 22:55
I like the idea of a charmed shield to avoid a lucky cannon shot taking out my general, but do you think a 3+ armor save from just chaos armor and being mounted will be enough?

rydhus
29-10-2013, 16:50
Without barding is 2+ save. Chaos armor 4+, mount 3+ shield 2+..

mostlyharmless
29-10-2013, 17:14
I personally feel that great weapons are wasteful on warriors. Halberds take better advantage of initiative 5 on their profile. Just my opinion.