PDA

View Full Version : Charging multiple units/sub-phase sequence

Romark
24-10-2013, 15:16
There is a similar thread open on this, which jogged my memory, but it is a bit different and i dont want to thread-jack it!

We had a unit changing a horde of Zombies with a horde of Chosen. The Zombies were next to another horde of Zombies, which were at an angle, and off the other side of them were some fanatics (we had some odd teams).

180412 (Dark green, Chosen Nurgle Warriors, Bright Green, Fanatics, flesh-y, Zombies)

Now the Warriors wheeled and charged the Zombies on the right:

Here is where we had the argument. And it basically comes down to sequence and responsibility. As the Warriors base is larger when it closes the door it will clip the other Zombie unit. leaving the Zombies to close the rest of the way (not the best picture, but you can see a little overlap on the second unit.

Half the people were saying this while the other half were saying you would move the warriors across, as it says you always avoid units if possible. The fanatics were just not in the way.

From here you were still not quite maximised, but as the warriors could not move without clipping either a Fanatic or the other Zombie unit it would now, only now, be up to the defender to maximise.

Have i interpreted the rules wrongly? :confused:

3eland
24-10-2013, 15:54
None of your attachments work for me I'm afraid.

hamsterwheel
24-10-2013, 17:57
Although the attachments aren't available, we don't treat fanatics as obstacles or impassable terrain for the purchase of charges. If the chosen can make contact while maximizing and close the door but it requires them to go through fanatics, then they have to go through the fanatics.

Romark
24-10-2013, 20:20
I'll fix them when i'm at work tomorrow.

It's the other Zombie unit that is causing problems. I think we sorted it earlier, but it is down to clipping, and when does the unit count as unavoidable...

InquisitorAffe
24-10-2013, 21:37
If the geometry makes it possible to reach the target in a manner that does not cause the defender to have to 'close the door', you have to choose that route. You can't purposely create a clipped situation where the defender 'closes the door' when the attacker had an alternate route that results in no defender-door-closing, just to avoid the fanatic.

If the geometry makes it so there does not exist a route that results in no defender-door-closing, then the defender closes the door and you fight. You don't "slide" anyone over so that the defender doesn't wheel in. In this case the attacker can choose a 'clipped' route that avoids the fanatic if it does not result in fewer models in combat than hitting the fanatic.

Romark
24-10-2013, 21:50
If the geometry makes it possible to reach the target in a manner that does not cause the defender to have to 'close the door', you have to choose that route. You can't purposely create a clipped situation where the defender 'closes the door' when the attacker had an alternate route that results in no defender-door-closing, just to avoid the fanatic.

If the geometry makes it so there does not exist a route that results in no defender-door-closing, then the defender closes the door and you fight. You don't "slide" anyone over so that the defender doesn't wheel in. In this case the attacker can choose a 'clipped' route that avoids the fanatic if it does not result in fewer models in combat than hitting the fanatic.

That i s what me and the other lad thought when i was speaking with him tonight. Thanks for the clarification!