PDA

View Full Version : Critique my LM

Horus38
25-10-2013, 16:41
Hey all. This will be my first "OMG help my army list!" thread :angel: but there's a tournament coming up and wanted the feedback. I'm a looooong time LM player (10+ years), and I've followed the 8th edition tactics thread as it's been evolving, so I don't need hand holding just some pointed feedback would be much appreciated for this 2,000 point list:

* Pimped out slaan (about 450 points)
* Scar vet on CO
* Skink chief riding ancient stegadon (sharpened horn upgrade)
* 30 saurus w/ hand weapons
* 30 saurus w/ spears
* 5 cham skinks
* Ancient stegadon (sharpened horn upgrade)

My initial concerns which I've been mulling over:
* Should I include a skink shaman for lore of beast buffs, perhaps dropping the scar vet to accommodate?
* I've seen a lot of folks saying a small unit of terradons is a must have. Same idea for two groups of cham skinks?
* I've toyed with dropping the slann altogether to get a couple shamans (scroll + cube)/saurus characters. How mandatory is the Slann for magic defense?

Spiney Norman
25-10-2013, 22:55
Hey all. This will be my first "OMG help my army list!" thread :angel: but there's a tournament coming up and wanted the feedback. I'm a looooong time LM player (10+ years), and I've followed the 8th edition tactics thread as it's been evolving, so I don't need hand holding just some pointed feedback would be much appreciated for this 2,000 point list:

* Pimped out slaan (about 450 points)
* Scar vet on CO
* Skink chief riding ancient stegadon (sharpened horn upgrade)
* 30 saurus w/ hand weapons
* 30 saurus w/ spears
* 5 cham skinks
* Ancient stegadon (sharpened horn upgrade)

My initial concerns which I've been mulling over:
* Should I include a skink shaman for lore of beast buffs, perhaps dropping the scar vet to accommodate?
* I've seen a lot of folks saying a small unit of terradons is a must have. Same idea for two groups of cham skinks?
* I've toyed with dropping the slann altogether to get a couple shamans (scroll + cube)/saurus characters. How mandatory is the Slann for magic defense?

Ok, from my experience
1. 450 is more than I would spend on a Slann, I would keep him cheap, the most blinged out I would go would be wandering delib, channeling staff and harmonic convergence.

2. The cowboy scar vet is great, keep him

3. What is the thinking behind a skink chieftain on the steg? Stegs are already a massive target for cannons and the like, putting a character on there just makes it even worse. What is the rationale behind the chief rather than simply fielding the steg as a rare since you can fit 2 into this size game?

4. Swap one of the Saurus out for 20-26 Temple guard, they are worth it for the stat increases alone, but also as a fairly fool-proof defense measure for your Slann. As a result you'll need to pick up a couple of skink skirmish units to bring you to minimum core (but who doesn't want a couple of Skirmisher units anyway right). On the other hand if you do decide to drop the Slann I would stick with the regular Saurus, its not that TG aren't worth the points, its just they reduce your numbers and without the Slann you don't need the TG.

5. Skink Skirmishers needed (see above)

6. For chameleons to work well I would want at least 8 or two units of 5, however if you are tight for points you might want to stick with them at this size.

7. A skink priest would be good, if for no other reason than to circuvent auto-persuit, but in a game this size I would probably just trust to my wandering Slann.

8. I've personally never got terradons to work well for me, once they've dropped their rocks I find they struggle to anything meaningful. I've personally found that ripperdactyls have much more mileage because they can do more than just pick the enemy's nose in combat, but I know a lot of people disagree.

9. A no-Slann is a viable build at this points level. If you take the scroll and cube that should give you 2 turns of relative safety, but you will need a fairly bullet-proof plan for dropping the enemy Mage-lord before the start of T3 because after than things will start to get messy for you. The reality is that a single well placed casting of PSX or Pit can end the game for a Lizardmen army. How you plan for that depends on what armies you are most likely to be facing, cowboys, ripperdactyls and even frontal charges by Saurus units can provide the answer.

Just be aware that not bringing a Slann does not simply downgrade your defence vs enemy spells it also hurts your magical offence. I would go so far as to say that you should not count on any spells going off if you are just running L2s, and if they do manage to get me through just count it as a lucky bonus.

Horus38
26-10-2013, 04:22
Ah, thanks Spiney Norman. For some reason I had in my head that the stegs would have to cost 225 or less to run two *facepalm*