PDA

View Full Version : White Dwarf TV coming soon?

Marked_by_chaos
26-10-2013, 16:27
I note from this month's White Dwarf that Duncan Rhodes of the hobby team is now working for the White Dwarf TV team making videos.

I wonder whether this will dovetail with the new online store that is shortly to be rolled out or whether there will be some form of online subscription model?

Scaryscarymushroom
26-10-2013, 16:55
No wonder they've been going after wargaming news outlets so aggressively.

lbecks
26-10-2013, 17:09
New online store?

Marked_by_chaos
26-10-2013, 21:12
New online store?

It's one of the big projects discussed in the financial statements for last year. It's a major project they have been developing but have yet to roll out. I am thinking there may be a load of video type content running in conjunction with the store, such as assembly tutorials.

cpl_hicks
26-10-2013, 21:41
Surely these are just the product videos, forge world videos and black library videos we already have

Daniel36
26-10-2013, 21:58
I wonder how often we will hear "We will return shortly after these messages!"
Just kidding. They could do a lot with this, but I doubt they will use it to its full potential.

Time will tell.

zoggin-eck
26-10-2013, 22:44
There was a thread on this some time ago (when they advertised positions?). Sounded just like a dedicated team making online videos.

Or, perhaps people are right when they say GW is so far behind in technology, since they think people still watch television :)

winterdyne
27-10-2013, 11:42
I actually went for an interview as a presenter/tutor for the videos. However I didn't get the job as I (and I quote) 'expressed my dissatisfaction with several Citadel products, which I would be expected to champion. This brought [my] understanding of the role into question.'

In specific, I made two comments during the process; First regarding a detail brush that was knackered to the producer - "Can I use an 'Eavy Metal brush, this one isn't good" and second regarding a pot of Ironbreaker opened on camera - "This has gone a bit gunky, a good shake will sort it".

Make of that what you will.

Cuchulain84
27-10-2013, 12:41
I actually went for an interview as a presenter/tutor for the videos. However I didn't get the job as I (and I quote) 'expressed my dissatisfaction with several Citadel products, which I would be expected to champion. This brought [my] understanding of the role into question.'

In specific, I made two comments during the process; First regarding a detail brush that was knackered to the producer - "Can I use an 'Eavy Metal brush, this one isn't good" and second regarding a pot of Ironbreaker opened on camera - "This has gone a bit gunky, a good shake will sort it".

So essentially this is going to be a GW version of QVC?

winterdyne
27-10-2013, 13:58
Even QVC occasionally mentions alternatives (usually to state a saving or convenience benefit). But yeah, I wouldn't expect to see any technique shown that isn't directly (as in a sales push) related to a GW product. Nor would I expect to see tutorials on (for example) how to remove mould slip (as opposed to just a flash line) or God forbid, fixing up a poorly cast Finecast model. Given that the 'not everyone is a Golden Demon winner' line was thrown, I would be extremely surprised if any advanced techniques at all were shown. Expect basecoat, wash, edge highlight/drybrush at best.

Galadros
02-11-2013, 04:03
I'd be curious to see what they will do with a YouTube channel of tutorials and hobby advice. I recognize that they have broadcast releases and product teasers through YouTube before, but there is much that they could do with such a powerful media outlet. I do fear that those independents who have explored this kind of thing on YouTube will be under more scrutiny if GW themselves wants to make a concerted go of it.

Gonefishing
02-11-2013, 11:48
My first though on reading this was that we are going to get something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmEiSSiiwKE

It really does explain why they have been hitting the podcasts and video makers so hard recently, its the standard GW business tactic (and its exactly what they have been doing to online retailers) - Remove all competition and we are all they are left with. People buying things from other online stores? Change the trade terms so they cant! People watching video's where hobbyists can honestly say what they think of GW products? Heresy! Send Cease and Desist Notices post haste and start up the GW Propaganda channel!

You also know before its released that its going to be very very poor, its going to be a visual homage to the majesty of GW, it will explain how fantastic their products and games are (without mentioning anyone elses) the Hobby side will use only GW hobby approved/made products and only focus on the positives of the product. Tactics and Rules will frequently be wrong and all comments will be disabled! (that's right folks, you can watch it but you cant talk about it afterwards in case you say something negative about us!).

To say that I am not enthused about this news would be an understatement lol.

aenimosity
02-11-2013, 15:34
It really does explain why they have been hitting the podcasts and video makers so hard recently
Have they actually been going after people making videos about painting modelling? If so I must have missed that, I thought they were still just trying to go after the guys who deal with rumours and/or discuss codex rules.

it will explain how fantastic their products and games are (without mentioning anyone elses)
I wouldn't expect any manufacturer-made video to mention anyone else's product at all...

the Hobby side will use only GW hobby approved/made products and only focus on the positives of the product.
Why on earth would a marketing tool from GW be any different to that of any other company?

Tactics and Rules will frequently be wrong and all comments will be disabled! (that's right folks, you can watch it but you cant talk about it afterwards in case you say something negative about us!).
You may have a point here though :D

To say that I am not enthused about this news would be an understatement lol.
Wait and see what happens. Odds are it won't be fantastic, (I can see it being aimed at new customers and focus on some pretty basic stuff - OR having tutorials that you have to pay to access - or both :shifty:) but you never know.

cornonthecob
02-11-2013, 16:45

Reminds me of a friend who went for an Interview in an Apple store, he said it was like trying to join a cult.

lbecks
02-11-2013, 19:07
I wonder if this is going to be a pay subscription youtube channel. I can't imagine GW doing anything with any depth for free.

Kingly
02-11-2013, 21:28
Be ace to see a lot of clear techniques, yes you can find them on youtube but you have to sift through so much trash you always End up watching "Guilty Dog" Damn you that's a great video.
I know it's popular to hate GW for all their discrepancies and the way they are treating the competition but this sounds quite neat. No?

Liber
02-11-2013, 21:45
this sounds quite neat. No?

No. No its gonna suck. Lots of pretty pictures of painted models and discussion about how great they are. Which is what you can find in white dwarf or in the GW website.

I strongly suspect that the only 'techniques' you will see are how to build there plastic kits (i have never need a tutorial for this) and basic painting like dry brushing and washing etc.

Warbosstae is a good youtuber. His vids painting vids are step by step.

If GW actually shows step by step proccesses in long videos at how to get Eavy metal quality jobs I will be schocked. If they do any cool behind the scenes (conceptual stages, talks with designers) I will be even more shocked.

I hope GW surprises everyone and actually does something cool with this, but I wont' hold my breath.

BrianC
04-11-2013, 20:12
I wonder if this is going to be a pay subscription youtube channel. I can't imagine GW doing anything with any depth for free.that was my first thought as well.

tristessa
05-11-2013, 10:52
I wonder if this is going to be a pay subscription youtube channel. I can't imagine GW doing anything with any depth for free.

They're obviously investing in it as they have salaried employees working on it. That's quite an investment to recoup, so they obviously have some idea that it'll convert into sales if they're giving it away for nothing. Wouldn't surprise me if it was paid. Moreover, why do you think it should be free?

aenimosity
05-11-2013, 11:25
why do you think it should be free?

I don't think anyone has said that it should be free. There is an implication that if GW does charge it would have to be relatively cheap (ha!) or extremely useful (somewhat unlikely, but possible) for anyone who is remotely competent at modelling/painting to make use of. For a beginner I'm sure a series of tutorials that are clear and well structured would be invaluable, and GW does have the resources to do this. If they do go the pay-to-view route it will be a shame that GW will be charging for what they used to provide for free, even if the old modelling/painting stuff they used to have on the website wasn't in video form.

I don't mind if they continue trying to squeeze their customer base, because that doesn't include me. I know this all sounds a bit negative - and we really have no idea of the intended direction they take, so I'm ready to be proven wrong about everything I said. ;)

tristessa
05-11-2013, 11:38
I don't mean to do anything beyond play devil's advocate. It's certainly not a service I would pay for. I suspect though I'm not the target audience.

The idea though that GW has to provide this for free because they used to provide other different services for nothing is a strange one though. They've never had a dedicated video-based output before other than a few youtube videos. They've never employed people to solely produce video content before. I suspect it's for the future website revamp myself, and will be free. That said, "if you're not paying then you're the product not the consumer" springs to mind.

There isn't a lot of free content out there. Most of it is supported by adverts or subscription of one means or another. As with all things, you're only being squeezed as a consumer if you buy it. Free will is a great thing. GW is a company - everything they do is designed to sell you a product. Sometimes they will do things seemingly for free and sometimes they won't, but all these seeds are designed to grow the hobby in one way or another, which has the end result of shifting more product.

Here's one for you, speaking of free. Phone up the trade team and talk about opening an account and see what they'll send you out. It'll surprise you - last package I heard of was an Assault squad, Uruk-hai box, WHFBpaintset, and a box of Chaos Knights. That's a lot of free product and that's before you open a trade account. However, that investment is worth it for them because they must sign up stores and then said stores spend 5k a year on average.

If 40,000 (oh hoho) watch a video for free and then spend just 5 each on average on products they saw in that video, they'll pay for the project - making it free for us at point of delivery. If they charge 1 to view the video only 20,000 pay to watch it, it is less profitable. I think therefore this investment in WDTV staff is in lieu of a traditional advertising budget.

lbecks
05-11-2013, 12:08
They're obviously investing in it as they have salaried employees working on it. That's quite an investment to recoup, so they obviously have some idea that it'll convert into sales if they're giving it away for nothing. Wouldn't surprise me if it was paid. Moreover, why do you think it should be free?

I didn't say I think it should be free.

With that said, they could put it on youtube as an advertising channel if they did want to make it free and still generate revenue off of it for themselves. Every official music video you can watch on youtube makes money based off that model, granted they already have much more pre-exposure than GW has. But even without lots of pre-exposure a lot individual youtube users also make livings off putting out videos as advertising based youtube partners.

aenimosity
06-11-2013, 08:01
It's certainly not a service I would pay for. I suspect though I'm not the target audience.

You and me both :)

The idea though that GW has to provide this for free because they used to provide other different services for nothing is a strange one though.

Again: Nobody has said that they have to (or even should) provide it for free.

There isn't a lot of free content out there. Most of it is supported by adverts or subscription of one means or another. As with all things, you're only being squeezed as a consumer if you buy it. Free will is a great thing. GW is a company - everything they do is designed to sell you a product. Sometimes they will do things seemingly for free and sometimes they won't, but all these seeds are designed to grow the hobby in one way or another, which has the end result of shifting more product.

-snip-

If 40,000 (oh hoho) watch a video for free and then spend just 5 each on average on products they saw in that video, they'll pay for the project - making it free for us at point of delivery. If they charge 1 to view the video only 20,000 pay to watch it, it is less profitable. I think therefore this investment in WDTV staff is in lieu of a traditional advertising budget.

Agreed, I think GW can only benefit financially from making certain resources free to access. If they use it to advertise new product the way they did for the new dark eldar, as well as providing continuing painting/modelling tutorials they'll be onto a good thing. They'll have embedded video of GW modelling supplies in action with GW models on the website that has a shopping cart for that same product. Chuck in the odd masterclass tutorial and they'd rake it in. Limiting access by making it pay-to-view would be incredibly short sighted.

mattl
19-11-2013, 04:00
The new paint videos, such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px18NSorf1g seem to be filmed in this new style, and are very good. I hope they'd be coming out with more soon.

VanHel
01-12-2013, 09:36
Wait, so GW is going after people who do painting and modelling videos then? Well that puts the kibosh on my "Painting Warhammer Minis while doing a Bob Ross Impression" series then.

Spectrar Ghost
01-12-2013, 14:14
"Let's just blend this little skull here, ha! Happy as we can be."

Inquisitor Shego
01-12-2013, 15:49
I weep for the poor store managers who have to promote this.