PDA

View Full Version : Mounted yeoman good but...

King Arthur
27-10-2013, 15:55
Decided to share some tactica upon mounted yeoman. Yes they seem overpriced at first but we must think if the uses.
1. Shielding a bit suicidal and can ruin charge arcs but first turn vanguard to do this can save a few knights against a shooty army and still live especially useful against stuff like dwarf organ guns second turn.
2. Blocking these guys can either block a unit from charging your knights so must either charge the mounted yeoman and then get charged or sit there with yeoman in their face, or they can block gun lines, such as a hilarious instance where after hiding behind some buildings the yeoman rode out reformed end over end and blocked three artillery pieces meaning they had to sacrifice two shots from my knights meaning that they survived for longer.
3. The usual going war machine hunting and flanking is the normal tactics fine but less fun than the two above.

Maybe a bit expensive for 75pts but can ave a fair few knights and often are hilarious in games thoughts and other uses for yeoman?

Brotheroracle
27-10-2013, 16:04
Fast Cav are fantastic for the reasons mentioned. The only units that are more useful are single model flying units for most of these things.

Wesser
27-10-2013, 16:20
The issue is and remains that Pegasus Heroes and Pegasus Knights are so awfully much better at everything the Yeoman can do that it ain't funny.

Heck the only advantage Mounted Yeoman have over Knight's Errant is that Vangaurd move.

There's nothin you can really do or say that will take them off the definitive list of sub-par units that should be taken only if you like to field them.

In a more constructive vein they are almost certain to die almost immediately since they are the only good bow targets around. So the best use is to just speed them straight at the enemy lines to taunt frenzy folks, fanatics or just restrict enemy movement a bit.

Don't expect them to achieve anything with shooting or combat and expect them to leg it after the first panic test and you won't be surprised

Baluc
27-10-2013, 16:48
They also;

don't cause panic in knights

add +1 fortitude without giving up vps for banners

are probably the cheapest fast cav in the game

don't need to be near the general to have a reliable ld8

have reasonable shooting

are faster with free reforms (errants are barded and not fast cav)

Don't have to charge on a ld7 check when away from general.

they still have 5+ armour against shooting: if people take small amounts of shooting they will be a target, but you should have peg knights supporting them, if they take large amounts of shooting people should be targeting your blocks of knights.

leopard
28-10-2013, 13:56
I have run a block of 12 Mounted Yeomen with a level of success, not run them often enough to determine if thats a good thing or just too few games to tell.

They need leadership, so I ran them to support some pegasus knights, provided a level of cover for the winged ones, borrowing leadership from them and between the two of them they managed to get behind the enemy lines at which point they went separate ways.

Five of them isn't worth the bother, better generally having a lone paladin, but a larger unit is not that bad, not amazing but hard to catch and works well supporting the other knights.

Just need some better models for them, currently using Norman Knights

SteveW
28-10-2013, 15:19
They also;

don't cause panic in knights

add +1 fortitude without giving up vps for banners

are probably the cheapest fast cav in the game

don't need to be near the general to have a reliable ld8

have reasonable shooting

are faster with free reforms (errants are barded and not fast cav)

Don't have to charge on a ld7 check when away from general.

they still have 5+ armour against shooting: if people take small amounts of shooting they will be a target, but you should have peg knights supporting them, if they take large amounts of shooting people should be targeting your blocks of knights.

Bretonnians don't suffer movement penalties from barding and goblins are cheaper than them in the fast cav department.

Nerd Knight
01-11-2013, 16:04
While I agree they are not the most WAAC optimal unit, they are good at one thing that no other unit in the army is. Being a FAST sacrificial unit. They are cheap enough that I don't mind running them into fanatics/manglers, or to sacrifice them by marching them right up to a unit I don't want to fight, putting them at an angle, accepting the charge and getting slaughtered. If it's a frenzied unit they will go the direction you make them go (by setting up the yeoman at the appropriate angle) and if they are not there's still a chance they will overrun anyway. Sometimes in the late game that can make it so the big scary deathstar is effectively out of the game. I recently took these guys to a tourney and they had a big use in 3/5 games. Again, not the best, but certainly not just a fluffy choice. Just depends on your style of play.

dementian
01-11-2013, 23:26
Can yeoman run 3 wide using the lance rule like other bret knights? I don't have book on me (away in teacher's college book is 17 hours away).

King Arthur
03-11-2013, 08:51
No only knights can, but with free reforms that would be awesome!