PDA

View Full Version : Caught! rules clarification

Lord Dan
27-10-2013, 22:24
This is something my local meta has - I believe - been playing incorrectly, and so I wanted to clarify my new understanding of the rule before spreading the word:

Unit A has beaten unit B in combat. Unit B fails its break test, and unit A elects to pursue. If Unit A rolls less than unit B, then both units move the distance indicated by their roll off. If unit A rolls higher than unit B, however, unit B is caught and unit A instead performs a reform maneuver as detailed on pg. 57.

Am I missing something?

theunwantedbeing
27-10-2013, 23:16
Bottom of page 57.

You still move the pursuers if you caught the enemy.

Lord Dan
27-10-2013, 23:20
Oops, I missed that caveat. We'd been playing it that way and got really confused when we skipped that final paragraph. Thanks!

MOMUS
27-10-2013, 23:37
??? Hang on, now I'm confused ?

You were playing it as they won the roll off but just reform on the spot?

Lord Dan
28-10-2013, 00:15
??? Hang on, now I'm confused ?

You were playing it as they won the roll off but just reform on the spot?

No, sorry for the confusion. We were playing it that if you elected to pursue, you moved the unit the number of inches indicated whether you caught the unit or not (as supported by that last paragraph on page 57). During a game over the weekend, however, a group of us were scratching our heads trying to find the rule that actually stipulated that you move if the unit is caught (because, again, without that last paragraph explicitly stating that you do so, there's nothing in the rules that explain what to do). Being unable to find it we houseruled the reform solution based on the rules for "Restraining Units Reform".

Anyway it seems silly now that the paragraph has been found and the answer is so obvious, however I assure you it had most of us long-time players really freaked out. :p