PDA

View Full Version : Great time for warhammer conversions

MLP
28-10-2013, 11:11
With all the new double unit kits coming out I'm thinking that people must be getting a huge stockpile of spare parts that are either being used for conversions or being sold on eBay for other peoples conversions.

So post your conversions or ideas for conversions using spare parts from any of the new double unit kits.

Metacarpi
28-10-2013, 14:50
Not from any of the double kits, but thanks to having a huge Daemon army (probably around 7500 points), I've got loads of spare bits that I've kitbashed into my new WoC army. In particular, I've been using Daemonic arms/heads on my Marauders, so that they all have a Daemonic mutation from their time in the northern wastelands.

sigmarus
28-10-2013, 19:23
I made a flame phoenix from the kit, then took the island of blood griffon and chopped it / added frost phoenix bits to it so I have two phoenixes now.

mostlyharmless
28-10-2013, 21:37
Nothing with any of the dual kits yet. I did, however, make a Warshrine of Khorne using two champions of Khorne on a pile of skulls on a chariot base. My Warshrine of Slaanesh is a staircase with iridescent purple flames engulfing it with a sacrificial altar at the top, a pair of damsels in distress and a Slaanesh champion preparing to make a sacrifice of them.

I also made some cold one chariots using cold ones from cold one knights and the chassis from white lion chariots. I then take the plastic dragon wings and make heroes mounted on manticores using the lions and the now cold one-less cold one knights.

gorenut
29-10-2013, 23:11
Not sure if its necessarily the best time for conversions.. but its definitely a time where hobbyists have to try to make the best of the situation. Gotta remember, with these dual kits, you're paying at least twice of what you would normally pay for the same units. When I first started WHFB.. GW would constantly have these release deals where you would get 2 boxes of the newly released regiments for $10 less. There were also other short releases like "Zombie Pirates" which essentially came with a box of Free Company and Zombie sprues. Now THOSE were the best time for conversions. On that "Zombie Pirates" release alone I essentially filled in my entire ranks of zombies for VC by creating a combination of solid models and ones "sprouting" out of the ground with the bits left over to fill in back ranks.

I will say this though.. people can complain about GW, but I think their plastic kits are still the best. Putting together some plastic kits from other companies.. the plastic just doesn't feel as high grade and they're usually not as well-planned as the GW ones. AOW for example.. I love their sculpts.. but you gotta do a balancing act to put together some of their models because there really is no guide at all in the form of unique joints to help secure the models properly.

Romark
30-10-2013, 11:12
I plan on (dodgily, i'm sure) kitbashing some executioners with standard Warriors bodies. Maybe do it the other way around. It'll depend which looks best once done. You get different heads and arms, so it's doable...

I just pray to Khaine i dont need to attempt Greenstuff...

gorenut
30-10-2013, 17:29
I plan on (dodgily, i'm sure) kitbashing some executioners with standard Warriors bodies. Maybe do it the other way around. It'll depend which looks best once done. You get different heads and arms, so it's doable...

I just pray to Khaine i dont need to attempt Greenstuff...

Sounds like a great plan. I say don't get intimidated by Green Stuff at all. Important thing is just have something right next to you as reference. Something like sculpting chain or fur is surprisingly forgiving and keep your sculpting tool a little moist while sculpting so it doesn't stick.

Nerd Knight
01-11-2013, 21:35
Sounds like a great plan. I say don't get intimidated by Green Stuff at all. Important thing is just have something right next to you as reference. Something like sculpting chain or fur is surprisingly forgiving and keep your sculpting tool a little moist while sculpting so it doesn't stick.

I second the importance of not being intimidated by green stuff. I only started really utilizing it over the last few years, started off with simple things like fur or chain mail (google tutorials for various items like chain, you will find plenty). Before you know it your sculpting skills will be top notch. I'm now at the point where I'm playing with other mediums (sculpey) to create scratch built models and all my friends ask me to do their sculpting. 2 years ago I had never picked up a sculpting tool, so don't be intimidated, dive in!

Durloth
01-11-2013, 22:21
I agree that this is a great time for converters. I never utilized the special deals, as I didn't have internet at the time and wasn't confident enough in my English to call the Trollz and order anything. I did order some bitz online later, but overall feel that Ebay and the various bitz services we have nowadays serves me better than GW used to.

I convert tons of stuff, but to be strictly OT, the only dual kit I've made was the Stonehorn/Thundertusk kit, which I magnetized to make both kits in one.

Demiurg
02-11-2013, 00:05
Made Plague monks from IoB. That reminds me I need some more.

mypantsarefree3
02-11-2013, 01:46
Yeah, haven't been buying many dual kits lately (due to the higher price per box due to being allowed extra sprues you can't complete without buying more pieces elsewhere), but I convert the majority of my armies. I'm doing a mono-nurgle WoC army right now and just put together 2 counts-as Hellcannons made from Terrorgeist and DoC nurgle model bits purchased from eBay. I bought a full Terrorgeist (minus the expensive wings) to sit rearing up from the hellcannon base with plaguebearers replacing the chaos dwarfs. Added some hobby rope to tie down the rampaging "hellcannon" and voila! made 2 models for the price of one of the originals...and looks more nurglely in my mind :)

gorenut
02-11-2013, 03:03
I agree that this is a great time for converters. I never utilized the special deals, as I didn't have internet at the time and wasn't confident enough in my English to call the Trollz and order anything. I did order some bitz online later, but overall feel that Ebay and the various bitz services we have nowadays serves me better than GW used to.

I convert tons of stuff, but to be strictly OT, the only dual kit I've made was the Stonehorn/Thundertusk kit, which I magnetized to make both kits in one.

That was the great thing back then, there was actually a reason to go buy stuff at a GW store. The stores had the specials and the white dwarfs would let you know about them. They also had the Skullz program where you earn points for purchases that could be used for various supplies and limited edition models. I got a carrying case, paints, and hobby/sculpting kit out of it. It definitely helped my enthusiasm and loyalty for GW. Those were the days.....