PDA

View Full Version : Throgg Monster Tournament List 2400pts

Evil Hypnotist
31-10-2013, 12:51
Hello all,

I have a tournament coming up in a month and have made the rather late decision to take a completely new list, taking advantage of special characters being allowed so I fancied doing someting different and having a monster army. While I don't expect such an list to be beating the top tier armies I don't want to get tabled in every game either, so I have come up with the following:

(This is without the list in front of me but hopefully my memory will serve me well)

Daemon Prince
Mark of Nurgle
Lvl 4 (Lore of Nurgle)
Chaos Armour
Sword of Striking
Charmed Shield
Dragonbane Gem
Scaled Skin
Soul Feeder
Flaming Breath

BSB
Mark of Tzeentch
Daemonic Mount with barding
Enchanted Shield
Talisman of Preservation
Warrior Bane
Third Eye of Tzeentch

Throgg

5 Chaos Trolls

6 Chaos Trolls

4 x 5 Warhounds

6 Chaos Ogres
Mark of Nurgle
Great Weapons

Chimera
Regenerating Flesh
Flaming Breath

3 Dragon Ogres
Additional Hand Weapons

Dragon Ogre Shaggoth

So what I'm hoping is this list will give me flexibility and punch to give my opponents a decent game. The plan would be for the DP and BSB to advance with the Trolls and Ogres, while the Chimera and Drogres tackle the flanks. The warhounds will either go for the flanks as well and target war machines, etc or, if required, will be luring out frenzied, fanatics/Manglers, etc. While I'm not a fan of builds like the 'unkillable' BSB I think in this list, with the troll stupidity I think it's important to keep them in check. In the same vein, the DP has such an important role I need him to be fully tooled, although IMO Nurgle Princes shouldn't fly :)

Opinions and advice welcomed.

Skullcrusher
31-10-2013, 15:28
Looks pretty solid list, Throgg armies are always fun to play with. Few suggestions:

-I'd take lore of death for DP, it's far more powerful that lore of nurgle.
-Those two troll units are two small to beat any real threat. Combining them might be good idea.
-Ogres and dragon ogres aren't that good. Taking more trolls/skullcrushers/hellcannon instead could be better choice.
-Shaggoth is quite weak monster, I'd rather take hellcannon/another chimera.

Korpacz
31-10-2013, 20:38
go full monster! Drop the DP for Kholek and get rid of the BSB (risk the trolls stupidity on a 9 from Kholek) Then throw in Skyla Anfgrimm? Frankly I wouldn't evne bother with the Ogres and I'd run the dragon ogres in a 4 pack, 2 wide 2 deep w/ great weapons (you lose out on 1 stomp attack but your opponent loses out on a lot of attacks at you).

Evil Hypnotist
01-11-2013, 08:24
Some interesting points, thanks guys. I had a long chat with a friend about this list last night. The first point he made was probably the most important thing I missed; I didn't have enough Core! So I had to make the choice to drop the BSB or the Shaggoth. I know the Shaggoth isn't the most badass unit in the game but he does scream monster so I decided to drop the BSB and increase the size of the troll units, rather than having an additional one to avoid increasing the number of stupidity tests. The additional points also let me give the DP wings and the Shaggoth a great weapon too (seeing as the model has one). Kholek is a great idea but I only have a month to get most of this army painted, I simply don't have the time to plan, convert and paint him. This is also the main reason for including the Ogres, they are one of the few units already finished! :P As for the Lore of Death, I will have a think about it but I am quite a fan of the Lore of Nurgle. IMO Curse of the Leper is one of the most useful spells in the game and I'm hoping (but haven't checked yet) that Fleshy Abundance might let me buff my Trolls for 3+ regen!

So, the updated list:

Daemon Prince
Mark of Nurgle
Lvl 4 (Lore of Nurgle)
Chaos Armour
Sword of Striking
Charmed Shield
Dragonbane Gem
Daemonic Flight
Scaled Skin
Soul Feeder
Flaming Breath

Throgg

8 Chaos Trolls
Additional Hand Weapons

9 Chaos Trolls
Additional Hand Weapons

2 x 5 Warhounds

6 Chaos Ogres
Mark of Nurgle
Great Weapons

Chimera
Regenerating Flesh
Flaming Breath

3 Dragon Ogres
Additional Hand Weapons

Dragon Ogre Shaggoth
Great Weapon

Beast
01-11-2013, 12:38
I think you should just play your Wood Elves Ben!!! :)

Fighting Newfoundlander
01-11-2013, 22:01
I really like this list. I'd consider looking for a couple points (2hw on a unit of trolls?) to give at least one unit of dogs vanguard. This may let you block their vanguarding units. I'd want a second chimera, but I really like your mix of units here. Very cool. I think this will be both fun to play and play against.

Akkaryn
03-11-2013, 17:06
Personally I would swap the AHW on the Dragon Ogres to GW, and the GW on the Shaggoth to AHW. The shaggoth has got initiative 4, his strength is plenty high enough and this allows him to at least a chance to muller rank and file hordes.

Jind_Singh
03-11-2013, 17:20
I love this list as I also do a Throgg list - but here is the one and only problem we BOTH face...

WE AUTO-LOSE BLOOD AND GLORY!!!

The only way I can counter this is to add Chaos Ogres with standards - but I don't want to!

My list was 2,500pts and it came to:

Scylla (General for nice Ld10!)
Throgg (Trusty Captain of the hordes!)
Gaulrach (so I have a level 4 caster whose a monster!)

17 Trolls
5 Warhounds

3 Dragon Ogres with Halberds (this way I get high strength AND I get to keep my initiative)
Chimera with regenerating flesh
3 Chaos Ogres of Khorne with additional hand weapons, banner (Until I realized that even with them I still auto-lose B & G! So I may drop them for MORE monsters!)

Slaughter Brute
Shagoth with additional hand weapon

Sexiest_hero
03-11-2013, 18:05
Jind that is a awesome list. How does it do?

Evil Hypnotist
03-11-2013, 18:22
I love this list as I also do a Throgg list - but here is the one and only problem we BOTH face...

WE AUTO-LOSE BLOOD AND GLORY!!!

Thanks pal, thankfully I don't have to worry about Blood & Glory in this tourny, all 3 games are Battleline/Pitched Battle.

My list was 2,500pts and it came to:

Scylla (General for nice Ld10!)
Throgg (Trusty Captain of the hordes!)
Gaulrach (so I have a level 4 caster whose a monster!)

17 Trolls
5 Warhounds

3 Dragon Ogres with Halberds (this way I get high strength AND I get to keep my initiative)
Chimera with regenerating flesh
3 Chaos Ogres of Khorne with additional hand weapons, banner (Until I realized that even with them I still auto-lose B & G! So I may drop them for MORE monsters!)

Slaughter Brute
Shagoth with additional hand weapon

Cool list, I also would love to know how this plays out, especially with the halberds on the Dragon Ogres. I have literally just finished building mine and I was going to go ADH but they look so awesome with the halberds. So I am dropping the great weapon on the Shaggoth to give the Dragon Ogres great weapons (they are *********** huge halberds!). I know you said you wanted to keep your initiative but seeing as that is only a value of 2, and they cost the same, I don't see the point in taking halberds over great weapons. There are very few units in fantasy you will be striking first with halberds against. Unless I have missed something obvious?

mypantsarefree3
05-11-2013, 00:20
I used halberds because they looked cooler, but count as GW when playing. You cant tell me they're not great weapons when they're 15 feet long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Jind_Singh
05-11-2013, 04:38
The Ini 2 came in handy vs:

Ogres (same time or before them)
Orcs of all stripes (same time or before them)
Undead (Same time or before them)
Lizardmen (Same time or before them)
Dwarfs (Same time or before them)

I find the extra few attacks for the 1st few rounds works out really well - especially Ogres with great weapons, as I hit/wound them on 3's before they strike - allowing me a few kills before they swing back.

If it's an undamaged unit my Dragons die anyway - but in late game when the Iron Guts are down to say 2-4 models it's pretty crucial!

Evil Hypnotist
07-11-2013, 13:56
The Ini 2 came in handy vs:

Ogres (same time or before them)
Orcs of all stripes (same time or before them)
Undead (Same time or before them)
Lizardmen (Same time or before them)
Dwarfs (Same time or before them)

I find the extra few attacks for the 1st few rounds works out really well - especially Ogres with great weapons, as I hit/wound them on 3's before they strike - allowing me a few kills before they swing back.

If it's an undamaged unit my Dragons die anyway - but in late game when the Iron Guts are down to say 2-4 models it's pretty crucial!

Sold! My regular opponent also pointed out that Str. 6 is good enough for most things too :)

byrothegyro
08-11-2013, 16:19
go full monster! Drop the DP for Kholek and get rid of the BSB (risk the trolls stupidity on a 9 from Kholek) Then throw in Skyla Anfgrimm? Frankly I wouldn't evne bother with the Ogres and I'd run the dragon ogres in a 4 pack, 2 wide 2 deep w/ great weapons (you lose out on 1 stomp attack but your opponent loses out on a lot of attacks at you).

Never ever ever take Scyla unless you have another character with ld 10 because otherwise Scyla has to be your general and that means you're gonna have a bad time.