PDA

View Full Version : Units in a Challenge - Stop additional combat? Pics Included

Myster2
31-10-2013, 16:53
Last time i played I ended up with a couple of pretty interesting challenges and I was curious if we play it right.

Scenario 1

Stegadon and Scar-Vet get a flank charge into a unit of wardancers. Stegadon reduces the wardancers to one rank on impact hits. Scarvet is challenged by the wardancer hero. The combat looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/Scjgpk4.jpg (http://imgur.com/Scjgpk4)

Questions:
1) Per the rules the wardancer fills to the scarvet on the corner correct? He started in the middle of the unit. The scar-vet can't choose to go to the wardancer?

2) Can the stegadon attack the unit at all?

3) Can the stegadon stomp the unit at all?

(If your curious what happened - The champ killing blowed the scar-vet and the stegdon stomped the unit to death and ran it down the next turn).

Scenario 2:

This was a very similar combat above except there were two ranks.

http://i.imgur.com/snR5sK1.jpg (http://imgur.com/snR5sK1)

The question becomes does the scar vet slide down to be in direct base to base with the unit champion thereby displacing the stegadon down a rank and effectively putting it out of combat again? Or is it okay where it is and if so can the stegadon attack the unit?

theunwantedbeing
31-10-2013, 17:01
Scenario 1.
Only the scar veteran can attack the wardancer (and the wardancer can only attack the scar veteran) he is in a challenge with, nobody else in the combat gets to make any attacks that round.
Edit: The stegadon can still thunderstomp, as he attacks the unit and is in base contact with the unit (although none of the thunderstomps can land on the champion even if the unit is small enough to allow that to happen in normal circumstances)

Scenario 2.
You move them into contact without displacing anyone unnecessarily.
If you can't slide them into contact, you can always assume they are in base contact and not move them.
Either way, the stegadon cannot be bumped out of the combat.

thesoundofmusica
31-10-2013, 17:03
1) correct
2) no, not with regular attacks
3) yes (thunderstomp)

Scenario 2: They remain where they are. They dont move since the champ and scarvet are already in base-to-base.
Which means the steg can attack as normal.

Myster2
01-11-2013, 17:15
So he can thunderstomp the unit in scenario one? Is this because he is still technically in contact with the unit?

frenka
01-11-2013, 20:27
But if the Scar-Veteran kills the champion the Stegadon should still be able to attack the unit since it has lower I value?

dementian
02-11-2013, 00:51
But if the Scar-Veteran kills the champion the Stegadon should still be able to attack the unit since it has lower I value?

If the Scar Vet killed the champion and had higher initiative than the Stegadon then yes the Stegadon would be in contact with the unit and could attack. However, in this case the Champion killed the Scar Vet so the Steg could not attack.

donaldtroll
03-11-2013, 06:02
If the Scar Vet killed the champion and had higher initiative than the Stegadon then yes the Stegadon would be in contact with the unit and could attack. However, in this case the Champion killed the Scar Vet so the Steg could not attack.

Pardon me but the way we have played it is that the models "attack across the gap" as with any incomplete ranks etc, and therefore the steg would still get to make its attacks "over" the challenge... is this wrong? Thought i read somewhere that was how it worked...?

Also the way we play it brings the beasts of nurgle down from about 998.5/1000 to "only" 979/1000

thesoundofmusica
03-11-2013, 13:59
@donaldtroll

Fighting over the gap happens when say a unit with an incomplete last rank is attacked in the rear. Then models from the second last rank can fight as if they filled that last rank. Or attacked in the flank where the incomplete last rank can then fight to the side where attacked even though they are actually not touching their enemy.

Its pretty clear in the rulebook with pictures even.

DeathlessDraich
03-11-2013, 14:29
Last time i played I ended up with a couple of pretty interesting challenges and I was curious if we play it right.

3) Can the stegadon stomp the unit at all?

Just quoting the relevant rules to add to the previously correct replies
pg 76 - BRB Stomp - "... on one infantry etc unit in base contact with the model"
Therefore the Steg can Thunderstomp since the unit is in btb contact with it.

donaldtroll
03-11-2013, 15:15
Man... then beasts of nurgle are DEFINITELY the most broken thing to ever come out of GW....

SilasOfTheLambs
04-11-2013, 15:21
Not close. Old Teclis, Hellpit Abominations when they first dropped, Thorek Ironbrow before the errata, powerscroll before that errata, folding fortress... I don't think the beasts, with their vanishingly tiny combat output, actually even crack the top 10.

/threadjack

Dark Side Duke
04-11-2013, 15:27
Not close. Old Teclis, Hellpit Abominations when they first dropped, Thorek Ironbrow before the errata, powerscroll before that errata, folding fortress... I don't think the beasts, with their vanishingly tiny combat output, actually even crack the top 10.

/threadjack

Poison is poison man. They'll pump out enough damage to tie just about anything up. Its a heavy point unit that just doesn't go away. Combined with Epidemus, they're sick. Teclis has always been easy to kill for the most part. I'll give you thorek and power scroll.

Beast of Nurgle singularly keep Daemons competitive. Skull cannons a close second.