View Full Version : Wood elves 2000pts local multi player league

Yanos666
31-10-2013, 21:03
Spell Weaver L4 (lore of life)
Rhymers harp & dispel scroll
350pts

Noble elven steed & wild rider kindred
125pts

Noble, Alter kindred, helm of the hunt, murder of spites, light armour and shield
149pts

Branch wraith, cluster of radiants
90pts

19 Glade guard w/ FCG and banner of flame
262pts

9 Dryards + nymph
120pts

10 Dryads
120pts

6 Treekin
290pts

5 Wild rider, FCG & razor banner
211pts

Treeman
285pts

What do you think?

I'd liked the idea of either taking a bunch of wardancer or eternal guard, but dont know what I'd drop in order to do that?? Also I have 3 warhawk riders I'd like to fit in, but basically they do the same job as the alter hero!? hmmmm....

Gustav Kohn
01-11-2013, 12:27
Spell Weaver L4 (lore of life)
Rhymers harp & dispel scroll
350pts

Noble elven steed & wild rider kindred
125pts

Noble, Alter kindred, helm of the hunt, murder of spites, light armour and shield
149pts

Branch wraith, cluster of radiants
90pts

19 Glade guard w/ FCG and banner of flame
262pts

9 Dryards + nymph
120pts

10 Dryads
120pts

6 Treekin
290pts

5 Wild rider, FCG & razor banner
211pts

Treeman
285pts

What do you think?

I'd liked the idea of either taking a bunch of wardancer or eternal guard, but dont know what I'd drop in order to do that?? Also I have 3 warhawk riders I'd like to fit in, but basically they do the same job as the alter hero!? hmmmm....

It doesn't seem to have any focus. There doesn't seem to be any particular way of making the list work together (essential for WE success). Each unit feels like it is just there. The Alter Noble for instance. Most people do not like them and I am rare in taking them in my lists, however, yours doesn't seem to have a purpose. Alters are supposed to be for getting into combat and killing things, yet yours has the murder of spites. Doesn't fit. It gives him only an average of 3.5 str. 2 hits poison. Make him either a monster or a character killer. He won't be helping much as anything else IMO. (I like a monster hunter with Raegath's Wildfire Blades, Helm of the Hunt, and Potion of Strength. Gives him 6 attacks on the charge at str. 7)

Rhymers harp on the spellsinger isn't really useful unless you have a big unit of something. 19 GG is not that big to make it worthwhile. Furthermore, your enemy will probably be able to get into combat with it and then it will die because it is a str 3, tough 3 no armour unit. Doesn't matter the ward save on that, it will die. Usually people use Rhymer's for Eternal Guard or maybe on a dragon noble to protect the dragon.

Your units look standard although the Wild Riders probably won't last very long in combat. The noble with them will help, but they will still get killed easily since they have very little protection. The Dawnspear can help protect them if he causes a wound.

To answer your questions about EG, WD, and WHRiders-
1) Some people like them if taken in a HUGE block with lots of characters in them. I think it bogs down wood elves and takes away our movement advantages.
2)WD are just too wimpy and too expensive. Dryads do what WD do only better. That said, I use them because I don't use forest spirits. One thing that they can do is go in for KB on characters that you need dead (think lvl4 mages)
3)Warhawk Riders should not have the same job as an Alter Noble...EVER. Alter noble charges in to kill whereas WHR are bait and flee machines. If you have two units of them they work better. HOWEVER, eagles do the same thing for almost a third the price. So if your list is missing anything, it is eagles.

All that said, GREAT JOB FOR PLAYING WOOD ELVES! Anyone willing to bring them out of the box is to be commended. I hope you take my thoughts as advice and not condemnation. If you find the army works well together, let me know what you did to make it work well. I am always interested in new things for WE.

Yanos666
02-11-2013, 18:59
It doesn't seem to have any focus. There doesn't seem to be any particular way of making the list work together (essential for WE success). Each unit feels like it is just there. The Alter Noble for instance. Most people do not like them and I am rare in taking them in my lists, however, yours doesn't seem to have a purpose. Alters are supposed to be for getting into combat and killing things, yet yours has the murder of spites. Doesn't fit. It gives him only an average of 3.5 str. 2 hits poison. Make him either a monster or a character killer. He won't be helping much as anything else IMO. (I like a monster hunter with Raegath's Wildfire Blades, Helm of the Hunt, and Potion of Strength. Gives him 6 attacks on the charge at str. 7)

Rhymers harp on the spellsinger isn't really useful unless you have a big unit of something. 19 GG is not that big to make it worthwhile. Furthermore, your enemy will probably be able to get into combat with it and then it will die because it is a str 3, tough 3 no armour unit. Doesn't matter the ward save on that, it will die. Usually people use Rhymer's for Eternal Guard or maybe on a dragon noble to protect the dragon.

Your units look standard although the Wild Riders probably won't last very long in combat. The noble with them will help, but they will still get killed easily since they have very little protection. The Dawnspear can help protect them if he causes a wound.

To answer your questions about EG, WD, and WHRiders-
1) Some people like them if taken in a HUGE block with lots of characters in them. I think it bogs down wood elves and takes away our movement advantages.
2)WD are just too wimpy and too expensive. Dryads do what WD do only better. That said, I use them because I don't use forest spirits. One thing that they can do is go in for KB on characters that you need dead (think lvl4 mages)
3)Warhawk Riders should not have the same job as an Alter Noble...EVER. Alter noble charges in to kill whereas WHR are bait and flee machines. If you have two units of them they work better. HOWEVER, eagles do the same thing for almost a third the price. So if your list is missing anything, it is eagles.

All that said, GREAT JOB FOR PLAYING WOOD ELVES! Anyone willing to bring them out of the box is to be commended. I hope you take my thoughts as advice and not condemnation. If you find the army works well together, let me know what you did to make it work well. I am always interested in new things for WE.

Thanks, man, well I've never played Wood Elves yet I have only just begun my collection, and as I'm on a budget I want to totally plan it out first, and get it ready in time for a couple of local tournaments next year (I realise I wont do very well in them with WE but i dont care because they're definitely fluff/model wise my favourite army)

I really like the monster hunter alter build, as my main opponent plays skaven and frequently fields a pair of Hellpits, this is a much needed character for me!

I've been reconsidering the rhymers harp myself, as i am thinking of splitting the GG into 2 units or maybe taking 3 units ot 10? spread my eggs out. Eagles I would like as the models are lovely, i had considered mounting a hero on one but think it would leave him too exposed. Are waywatchers worth the points, as thats a unit I just can't decide on taking? Would WD be worth it if you included a WD kindred noble? Or am i better just with a couple of blocks of dryads?

As mentioned I'll mostly be playing against Skaven (uses a couple of huge hordes, lots of monsters, topped off with a load of warmachines), Highelves, which is a largely infantry based army, and Warriors of chaos - usually netlists from those guys! So if you have any suggestions of a all comers list that can take on those I'd love to see it!

Althwen
03-11-2013, 14:48
I agree with Gustav.
I have some experience with Wood Elves at tournaments, they're my favourite army to bring. You're always on everyone's good side when you bring an underdog list and if you manage to win, almost nobody will resent you for it, but instead admire you. That said, there are inevitably some builds out there that will utterly humiliate any Wood Elf army no matter how it's constructed. That will only gain you pity :)

First off I would decide which way you'd want to go with your list: Avoidance - shooting or a Forest spirit army.

Forest spirit's basics revolve around a Life mage and as many Treemen in the army as you can possibly fit (hero and rare allowance). This used to be treekin, but I myself think that Treekin are no longer able to stand up against all the new units of Monstrous Infantry and Cavalry out there. Treemen are more versatile with their shooting attack, stubborn and posess a bound spell. (Nothing fancy, but it's there)
In a 2.4K list you should be able to fit in 3 of those lumbering arboreals.

Avoidance - Shooting: Lots of glade guard (and I mean lots!). one bigger unit with the flaming banner and some 4-5 x 10-man units with musicians. 2 units of 8 Drayds and everything else should be Glade riders/warhawk riders/2 great eagles and 2 units of waywatchers.
The goal here is to misdirect your enemy from turn 1. Double-fleeing, redirecting and shooting everything to pieces.
Characters could be: Lvl 4 on beasts, Lord with Bow of Loren and arcane bodkins (works well with spell from lore of beasts), BSB noble with Hail of Doom and Asyendi's bane.

I believe the above to be the two most effective setups there are for Wood Elves in tournaments. Notice that there are no wardancers and wild riders in either of these armies. They're too vulnerable and too pricey.
But feel free to mix things up :)

Good luck!

Yanos666
04-11-2013, 05:22
Thanks for the advice, I have to go with the models that i have (an army i've bought second hand). so using nthose models and reading the advice on here I've worked out the following list.

Lord:
Spellweaver Level4 (probably Lore of Beasts)
Wand of wych Elm, Talisman of preservation
350pts

Heroes:

Noble BSB
Asyendis bane, Doom arrow
140pts

Noble, Alter kindred
Wildfire blades, helm of the hunt, potion of strength
140pts

Core:

10 GG 120pts

10 GG 120pts

10 GG 120pts

10 Dryads 120pts

10 Dryads 120pts

Special:

3 Warhawk riders 120 pts

10 Wardancers 180pts

Rare:

2 Great Eagles 100pts

Treeman 285 pts

SO that leaves around 85pts spare, for commands and magic banners etc. Or to drop a Dryad, along with maybe an Eagle to buy a Branchwraith with cluster of radiants?
Either way I dont have much room to change my list I could convert a handful of GG into WW I guess, I also have spare 21 Glade riders, and 5 wild riders and 10 more GG, so using the available models, what would you suggest?

Thanks

Gustav Kohn
05-11-2013, 12:34
Looks like you are trying to go for an MSU army that can hit hard in a few places. I like it! I might use the extra points to make one unit of GG into scouts. They are overly expensive, but they can really annoy your enemy. Also, the unit of wardancers is probably too big. I would go with two units of 5-7 instead of one big one. 7 is great for charging in on your turn and using the ward save dance. Then (hopefully) holding and making his unit unable to charge you on his turn. At least that is how I use them in my avoidance list.

Overall, I am really glad you chose WE as we are lots of fun. Keep it up and experiment. Figure out what you like and what works for you. Cheers!

Yanos666
09-11-2013, 12:42
Thanks, having fully looked through the items I've been given there are infact only 5 wardancer models so I am going to drop them from the above list, whic gives me 265points spare from 2k, in a 2.4k tournament army I now have a full 665pts to play with, possibly adding a Highborn machinegun? Or I could upgrade the Treeman to an ancient with netlings, and take 2 small units of Waywatchers? and possibly also still have wild riders?

I am definitely thinking of playing as you said, MSU but with a little bit of spice from some "toffee hammer" units! enough that a could break small infantry blocks with rear charges.

Gustav Kohn
09-11-2013, 12:57
Cool, I truly hope that you enjoy the style. If you are taking a treeman, the ancient with netlings is certainly the way to go. Waywatchers can really distract an enemy, however, if the opponent ignores them, they probably won't make their points back. That said, I use a unit of 6 and will probably add 6 more for my next tourney.

Yanos666
09-11-2013, 13:24
Do like waywatchers i muct admint, might have to give them a try, just for annoyance value!