PDA

View Full Version : Just returning to Fantasy, Need help with Dark Elf army list

Merellin
01-11-2013, 14:22
I'm just returning to Warhammer Fantasy after a few years of only playing 40k and i'm starting a Dark Elf army, But I am having trouble building a army so I was curious if anyone could help me make a friendly 2000 point army? I want to use Bleakswords, Darkshards, Corsairs, Executioners or Black Guard, Cold One Knights, And a good combat Lord..

Rake
01-11-2013, 15:46
Well, where to start... Are you aware of the changes that happened in the game from edition to edition? If not let me summarize:
1) Magic wins the game: With the number of remove models from game and unit buffs/debuffs magic is completely out of control. Whoever casts the right spell at the right time (not always easy or possible, granted) wins. On the one hand it helps balance the game by giving everbody a chance, on the other it makes the game depend on a single roll.
2) Units, for most armies, go with the bigger is better rule. Average unit size has gone up from the 20s to the 30s and 40s. This is because of the new rules and conditions: Victory points, horde rule, step up and steadfast. (plus magic: making 15 spearmen S9 is less effective than making 40 spearmen S9.
3) Templates are king. Given the size of the new units, the shooting modifiers and the new LOS rules your hydra's 20 pt breath will have more effect than your bolt throwers. Fear Dwarven catapults, Hellcannons and the Trebuchet.

So basically there are many schools of thought. My personal opinion is that without a Lvl 4 mage your army can win, but is much less likely to do so. Having a close combat lord does not preclude having a mage on the other hand.

My list would be something close to the following:
Lvl 4 Sorc dispel
Master BSB
Master Dark Pegasus lance 1+ save mundane and the cloak of twilight

20 bleakswords
10 corsairs
15 darkshards
30 Executioners
10 Cold one knights full command and gleaming pendant
then the last points would be a hydra w breath or 2 RBTs + some commands

I know it doesnt have a combat lord, but for the points of a lord (240) would you rather have 4 S6 attacks with a rerrol at WS7 or 20 S6 KB attacks at WS5 no reroll (equivalent points in executioners). Step up and horde has made most CC characters obsolete (except for ogres whose job is to soak up attacks and survive with T5 and a 4+ ward). A lord in the kit that the master has would be VERY good at hunting down monsters and monstrous cavalry.

Merellin
01-11-2013, 16:26
I did play on 8'th edition before we changed to 40k, And we only play friendly matches, No hard core win at all cost lists (And thus we dident use super much magic, Most of the time only lvl 2 wizards sicne all of us prefer melee lords)

cyberspite
01-11-2013, 18:08
I think you should go for a loose khainite theme then, take hellebron and some witches and executioners, should be fun.

Merellin
02-11-2013, 16:24
Hmm.. Witch Elves have nice models but.. They seem a bit fragile.. They will hit hard, and then get destroyed due to lack of saves and toughness 3.. I'm a bit unsure of them..

dooms33ker
02-11-2013, 18:02
Hmm.. Witch Elves have nice models but.. They seem a bit fragile.. They will hit hard, and then get destroyed due to lack of saves and toughness 3.. I'm a bit unsure of them..

Throw in a cauldron with the unit and suddenly the unit is 33% more survivable, and will hit even harder.

Merellin
03-11-2013, 19:24
Hmm... How large group of Witch Elves should you have with the Cauldron of Blood?

SteveW
04-11-2013, 06:38
For less points throw in a life mage 5+ regen sig spell and the possibility of all sorts of spells to help you survive.

Rakariel
04-11-2013, 09:29
Hmm... How large group of Witch Elves should you have with the Cauldron of Blood?
Depends on the point limit but as you already said 2000 points I`d say 30 atleast. I however wouldn`t put a sorceress into the Welfs as she could end up dead quite quickly ;)
A cauldron with a big block of welfs and executioners doesn`t strike me as very friendly tho. I would go with other options like the ones you mentioned in your first post. You can do a Knight Theme (XBows, Spearmen/Swords Knights and Chariots) or a Corsair Theme (Corsairs, Beastmaster, Monsters etc.) aswell. Your call of course.

siccore
04-11-2013, 14:08
this is what i am thinking about. all new models, khaine theme and fun stuff.

+++ New Roster (2480pts) +++
+++ 2500pt Dark Elves 8th Roster (Standard)) +++

Selections:

Dark Elves 8th (Standard) Selections:

+ Lords + (310pts)

* Hellebron (310pts)
* Gift of Khaine
Cry of War, Rune of Khaine, Witchbrew

+ Heroes + (465pts)

* Death Hag (300pts)
Battle Standard Bearer (25pts), Couldron of Blood (190pts)

* Sorceress (165pts)
Lv2 Wizzard (35pts)
* Magic Item (50pts)
* Arcane Item (25pts)
Dispel Scroll (25pts)
* Magic Item (Dark Elves) (25pts)
Tome of Furion (25pts)

+ Core + (905pts)

* Darkshards (260pts)
20x Dark Elf Warrior (240pts)
* Standard Bearer (20pts)
* Magic Standards (10pts)
Banner of Eternal Flame (10pts)

* Darkshards (240pts)
20x Dark Elf Warrior (240pts)

* Witch Elves (405pts)
Hag (10pts), Musician (10pts), 30x Witch Elf (330pts)
* Standard Bearer (55pts)
* Magic Standards (45pts)
Razor Standard (45pts)

+ Special + (390pts)

* Har Ganeth Executioners (390pts)
Draich Master (10pts), 30x Executioner (360pts), Musician (10pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)

+ Rare + (410pts)

* Doomfire Warlocks (125pts)
5x Warlock (125pts)

* Doomfire Warlocks (125pts)
5x Warlock (125pts)

* Kharibdyss (160pts)

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)