PDA

View Full Version : Deepwood Sphere

Gustav Kohn
01-11-2013, 14:30
The Deepwood sphere is a magic item that causes any enemy model in the same forest as the model with the item take a str. 5 hit. Since it is a magic item, are those hits magical? It doesn't say that they are in the description of the item. Just not sure if that is a requirement for a magic item (not weapon) to say.

Althwen
01-11-2013, 15:59
I would argue that these are magical hits, yes, since the source is a magic item that directly causes them. The line about the forest is merely the condition which triggers the effect. The flavour text implies (or actually blatantly states) that the orb motivates the trees to strike, but in its rules it is just stated as an effect caused by the orb, which is magical, ergo: magical hits.

Gustav Kohn
01-11-2013, 16:01
So if someone were RaW, how would you explain to them that they are magical hits. Is there anywhere in the BRB that states that attacks from magic items are magical hits?

yeknoMehT
01-11-2013, 16:09
Nope, but there is in the BRB FAQ p7

Althwen
01-11-2013, 16:12
Well, Wood Elves' magical arrows are not listed in the magic weapon section, but instead as enchanted items and they are without a doubt magical.

If you're arguing wether the Deepwood Sphere is able to harm Ethereal creatures, I'd also say yes.
Page 68 of the BRB under 'Ethereal', 2nd paragraph:"...Conversely, Ethereal creatures can only be wounded by spells, magical attacks and magic weapons or effects."

The Deepwood sphere doesn't point to anything else being the source of the hits inflicted. (RAW) Surely the hits count as being magical effects at the very least.

Althwen
01-11-2013, 16:16
Nope, but there is in the BRB FAQ p7

Thanks, should have checked that immediately.

Q: What are ‘magical attacks’? (p68)
A: All attacks made by spells and magic items are considered
to be magical attacks, as are all attacks that are specifically
noted as being magical attacks. Shots fired from magical items
are also considered to be magical attacks, unless their
description specifically states otherwise. Hits inflicted by rolls
on the Miscast table are treated as magical attacks.

Gustav Kohn
01-11-2013, 16:40
Perfect, that is exactly that for which I was looking. Magic items not magic weapons. All magic items are magical attacks. Thanks