PDA

View Full Version : Fixed number to hit vs. modifiers

Althwen
01-11-2013, 16:03
Hello,

I was wondering what happened to An annoyance of Netlings (Models in a challenge can only hit the bearer on the roll of a 6) when faced with an opponent with the sword of striking (+1 to hit in close combat).
Is this one of those cases where the player whose turn it is decides which effect takes precedence?

Obviously the goal here is to design a wood elf character that can more or less tank a Daemon Prince for a turn or two and The Sword of Striking more or less being a DP's standard equipment.

yeknoMehT
01-11-2013, 16:18
Well, given that modifiers apply to your dice roll (so +1 to hit turns the 5 you roll into a 6, which hits). The "Hit on 6's" replaces the WS v WS chart, which just tells you what you needed to roll on the dice.

So I reckon the sword of striking would hit on 5s. If your character also took the glittering scales, however, the two would cancel each other out...

dementian
02-11-2013, 00:53
Well, given that modifiers apply to your dice roll (so +1 to hit turns the 5 you roll into a 6, which hits). The "Hit on 6's" replaces the WS v WS chart, which just tells you what you needed to roll on the dice.

So I reckon the sword of striking would hit on 5s. If your character also took the glittering scales, however, the two would cancel each other out...

You are applying an order to the effects. The other way the effects could apply is that you examine the to hit and use the sword of strikings +1, Followed by being hit on 6s. I feel like this is one of the "Player whose turn it is decides the order they are applied"

bigbiggles
02-11-2013, 03:53
Don't + to hit weapons/affects add to the actual dice roll now? If so, there should not be an issue. I roll all my dice, the 6s stay 6s and the 5s become 6s, then I only hit you on 6s.

theunwantedbeing
02-11-2013, 12:12
The Netlings say you only hit on 6's.
So he only hits on 6's.

The Armour of the Fey will give you a 4+ ward vs any hits you suffer.
Take the Featherfoe Torc and the guy will likely never land a hit on you (although that's list tooling given how pointless the torc is in every other scenario and it's 35pts and wonly allow you to have the stone of rebirth).
If you take the Stone of Rebirth then you'll get a 2+ ward when you're reduced to a single wound so that'll help keep him alive.

There's not a whole lot else you can really do.

Lord Zarkov
02-11-2013, 13:24
Don't + to hit weapons/affects add to the actual dice roll now? If so, there should not be an issue. I roll all my dice, the 6s stay 6s and the 5s become 6s, then I only hit you on 6s.

This is correct, this is how some characters were auto-hitting/wounding until they added 1 always fails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

WLBjork
03-11-2013, 05:56
Technically that's always been true.

After all, if you use +1 to hit on a 4+ target it makes it 5+, not 3+.

yeknoMehT
03-11-2013, 12:17

Indeed, that's precisely what I was trying to say... it's not implying an order to the effects that isn't already there (you work out what you need to roll to hit, then you roll the dice).