PDA

View Full Version : So.. Eldar..

Merellin
03-11-2013, 00:07
So I asked on another forum what the best army to beat Eldar with was, And alot of people said that the best anti eldar army, Is Eldar. So I'm curious, Are Eldar good at dealing with themselves? Can Aspect Warrior Eldar beat Wraith Eldar? Or would you go Wraith against wraith?

Bonzai
03-11-2013, 00:25
I would say that well built Tau is also really good at killing Eldar.

Merellin
03-11-2013, 00:30
What should Tau bring in order to deal with Wraith Eldar? (Lots of Wraith Guard and Wraith Blades with a couple of Wraith Lords and a Wraith Knight) And can Aspect Warrior Eldar deal with it good?

facepalm
03-11-2013, 01:37
What should Tau bring in order to deal with Wraith Eldar? (Lots of Wraith Guard and Wraith Blades with a couple of Wraith Lords and a Wraith Knight) And can Aspect Warrior Eldar deal with it good?

riptides with ion accelerator is decent, Ion cannon hammer heads are made to kill wraith gruard, for the wraith lord/knight you have kroot with sniper rounds and even skyrays are decent at all wraith because of the 3+ saves

Menthak
03-11-2013, 01:56
Tau are good against Eldar, but you must be careful.

As for a wraith vs wraith list, yes, it can counter itself, but it reduces the game to chance.

I would hazard a guess that Grey Knights are decent against them, all you have to do against a MC is cause a wound and pass your LD save and that's that.

Reflex
03-11-2013, 01:50
I would have thought necrons would be a decent match up.

Fizzy
03-11-2013, 01:56
Tau R'varna can do some damage :)

DoctorTom
03-11-2013, 02:19

If you're dealing with a Wraith army then go with Marines with lots of grav weapons.

Merellin
03-11-2013, 07:46
So.. Can Aspect Warrior Eldar deal with Wraith Eldar..?

Killgore
03-11-2013, 08:44
Well dark reapers shouldn't have that much trouble gunning down wraiths, you might struggle in combat if you use hth aspects, but try and stay mobile with dire avengers in wave serpents, mobility and rending :)

TheBearminator
03-11-2013, 15:41
Orks? With lots of lootas? :)

09philj
03-11-2013, 16:13
Tankbustas, Warbikes, Flash Gitz, Lootas, and Big Gunz will easily put paid to any vehicle or assault based army.

09philj
03-11-2013, 16:14
Especially if you also take Kaptin Badrukk.

The bearded one
03-11-2013, 19:16
Tau.

A lot of eldar things are rather short ranged, such as guardians, dire avengers, wraith guard, so Tau have ages to rough them up with their enormous weapon range and high strength weaponry. They do str7 spam very well too. I can truly burn my way through multiple waveserpents in a turn, and even overwhelm wraithlords and wraith knights with numbers of saves to pass. Ion cannons on hammerheads and ion accelerators with a bit of markerlight support can blow away swathes of wraith guard with comparative ease.

IcedAnimals
03-11-2013, 20:27
I gotta give another vote to tau. Both the tau and the guard are probably great armies at dealing with eldar. You get at least 2 turns of shooting before the eldar become any kind of credible threat.

TheBearminator
03-11-2013, 20:40
I wouldn't go for guard, but that's just me. But of course it depends a lot on how you build your army. Guard pay a lot for high armour values that are pretty useless to armies with lance weapons. Also pie plates don't bite that well on mechanised forces, which eldar tend to field, and so they won't have a lot for free even though they're better range. Finally a lot of IG units rely on cover for survival and Eldar are pretty good at neglecting cover saves. I think IGs best shot would be lots of bodies, lots of heavy weapon teams and no vehicles over armour 12. But that's not an IG army I wanna play. ;)

Merellin
03-11-2013, 20:52
What weapons should Tau bring to face Eldar? (Aspecialy Wraith Eldar) I tend to give all my crisis suits 2 missile pods each but.. It still isent that useful since he get good saves still and he tends to survive long enough to get close and then my Tau disintigrates..

Poseidal
03-11-2013, 23:05
I wouldn't go for guard, but that's just me. But of course it depends a lot on how you build your army. Guard pay a lot for high armour values that are pretty useless to armies with lance weapons. Also pie plates don't bite that well on mechanised forces, which eldar tend to field, and so they won't have a lot for free even though they're better range. Finally a lot of IG units rely on cover for survival and Eldar are pretty good at neglecting cover saves. I think IGs best shot would be lots of bodies, lots of heavy weapon teams and no vehicles over armour 12. But that's not an IG army I wanna play. ;)

It is one that wins though.

But you bring an awful lot of bodies and heavy weapons teams in for it.

eldaran
04-11-2013, 07:49
What weapons should Tau bring to face Eldar? (Aspecialy Wraith Eldar) I tend to give all my crisis suits 2 missile pods each but.. It still isent that useful since he get good saves still and he tends to survive long enough to get close and then my Tau disintigrates..

Plasma rifles will ruin wraith eldar's day; those and fusion blasters will make the wraithguard and wraithknights cry.

I gotta give another vote to tau. Both the tau and the guard are probably great armies at dealing with eldar. You get at least 2 turns of shooting before the eldar become any kind of credible threat.

Tau and guard are good at dealing with Eldar, but I wouldn't call them great at it; Eldar are good in that there aren't any hard counters to them. Tau can bring the pain, sure, but my Eldar can do the same with the weapons I can bring to bear, and if I want, you'll only get one turn of shooting before I bring everything to bear - 30' moves from 12/12/10 vehicles that downgrade pens to glances on a 2+ tend to panic tau opponents and the try to take out everything at once (even with my 3+ flat out save denied by markerlights/ignores cover shenanigans), especially if a couple of pie plates from prism cannons just offed a few of their precious pathfinders.

Guard are a bit different; they can bring more heavy weapons to bear, but similar tactics work; on boards with a decent amount of terrain, I can really use my manoeuvrability to really bring a lot of damage to bear on weak parts of the line; both would be a fun challenge, but Eldar are very good at being credible threats without having to shoot, and it's amazing just how resilient serpents are even without cover saves...

And this is assuming the Eldar player hasn't brought a wraithknight to act as a fire magnet both armies will blast to hell because they know how powerful the things are, especially if they get close (and they will...)

It is one that wins though.

But you bring an awful lot of bodies and heavy weapons teams in for it.

That works; especially if you fit in a lot of orders and leadership shenanigans; it'll cause problems

TheBearminator
04-11-2013, 07:57
Dark eldar venom spam should end a wraith army in a few turns 12 BS4 36" poisoned shots per Venom takes 1.33 wound from any 3+ unit. Wraithknight or wraithguard. And every venom carries kabalites to bring you even more poisoned shots, or haywire wyches to deal with vehicles.

IcedAnimals
04-11-2013, 08:56
Yeah dark eldar laugh at wraith armies. But I think if both lists are "balanced" all comers lists the eldar have a bit of an edge on their dark brethren.

TheBearminator
04-11-2013, 09:20
Yeah dark eldar laugh at wraith armies. But I think if both lists are "balanced" all comers lists the eldar have a bit of an edge on their dark brethren.

Probably, yes. As the eldar codex is brand new and written for 6th edition. But I was under the impression that the OP elaborated with which army to pick to handle a certain eldar threat.

Merellin
04-11-2013, 09:41
My friend who plays Eldar has a pure Wraith army 95% of the matches he plays Eldar in.

Poseidal
04-11-2013, 09:55
Addressing the OP points:

Wave Serpent shields are the best thing for dealing with Wave Serpents. They ignore the jink and holofields saves, while at S7 you are fishing for glances rather than a good roll on the penetrating table which the Serpents have more protection from. It's like the perfect anti-serpent gun with no wasted stats.

Dark Reapers also take out serpents well, ignoring Jink and firing Krak missiles.

Those two are the best anti-serpent firepower in the game, without relying on external buffs (just the units on their own).

All Eldar enti infantry weapons shred Eldar infantry easily. The T3 means they're taking a lot of saves for quite expensive models, and sometimes the good save is ignored. Any Shuriken catapult wounds on Wraith units ignore their armour save, meaning the big units are at threat from the small arms. Even D-scythes can one-shot a Wraithknight.