PDA

View Full Version : Non cheesy black knight unit

Sexiest_hero
03-11-2013, 03:19
Back in the end of7th and beginning of 8th I ran a huge unit of black knights and blood knights, back when everybody claimed cav was dead this edition. I did a few badly written fluff reports on here back then and wanted to continue the story. Now however black knights are broken and every army runs theme just about. How can I run then so they are useful so I don't get eye roles when I pull them out?

Moss
03-11-2013, 03:47
I don't think they're "broken," but if you just want to use Black Knights in a less conventional way, use them without a blender lord. They still need some kind of character support, so maybe something like (9) knights led by a Wight King or a "regular" Vampire. Not optimal, but definitely useful.

datalink7
03-11-2013, 04:16
Black Knights are far far far from broken. Usually what my black knights do is fairly inconsequential. They are simply a delivery system.

Borgomos
03-11-2013, 05:23
Black Knights are fine, they don't have a 1+ Save, Skelly Horses are even worse than regular horses in melee, but the rider has Killing bow and the unit is easily raised back. I don't consider the cavbus to be cheesy, especially compared to the "Screams, screams everywhere" lists.

Kayosiv
03-11-2013, 06:53
Black Knights are considered cheesy when loaded with vampire characters. A single vampire or wight king in a unit is... just a unit. Black knights are not at all terribly impressive in combat and while they'll do fine on a flank will lose to just about everything that is even modestly combat capable if they charge into the front.

NurglesRot
04-11-2013, 02:38
I've had quite a bit of success with 10 Black Knights and the Razor Standard. With no characters in the unit people tend to go for my other units to try and kill off the general and force crumble tests.

Also being S6 on the charge with -4 to the armour save, they mince most things they come into contact with. I've found the banner also helps if you get counter-charged, being -2 to AS and Killing Blow makes many opponents think twice. And when a single casting of
Invocation from a lvl 4 can bring back half the unit is a added bonus.

Coldblood666
04-11-2013, 05:14
I like using 13 + a Vampire lord for 2 ranks of 7

mypantsarefree3
05-11-2013, 00:06
Black knight busses arent considered cheesey by many. Go nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Blinder
05-11-2013, 15:00
Are they a 0-1 unit? Could always go with a couple smaller groups so people don't even really have an excuse for expecting the typical character overload, but you still have a place to put a couple mounted characters for a good punch?

mypantsarefree3
06-11-2013, 00:33
They are not 0-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

NurglesRot
07-11-2013, 02:52
Even adding a cheap Wight King on steed can add some extra punch to the unit. But for effectiviness either load up on a character bus and add several vampires and necros or keep it cheap as possible as a flanking unit.