PDA

View Full Version : Pinting on the sprue: A Cadian experiment.

Piku
07-06-2006, 02:09
I got hold of some cadians a little while ago with the mechanised infantry boxed set, (5 extra for ten models, no complaints).
These aren't the regiment that I collect but I figured they would bolster my bits box a little.

I was examining the sprue yesterday when a thought occured to me . why not paint them while they are still on the sprue and assemble them afterwards? Maybe this is common practice, but it's new to me.

Well the reasons why not are clear and listed below

1.flash
2. poly-cement doesn't hold well over paint.

So far those are the only objections I can think of. There may be some problems later on, but this is an experiment so...
I reasoned that I could work around those problems anyway and to test this I decided to give it a go.

The problem of flash turned out to be no more troublsome than with assembled models. To make matters easier, the seam ran along the same plane so it was clear where to file, also fewer missed spots. There are a few areas where the file can't get at but a modeling knife could.
Obviously I will have to file down the bits where the sprue holds the models afterwards and touch up those areas with paint. I'll find out when it comes to it, but I don't see this as a major problem.

1.Undercoating a sprue where all the components are laid out flat actually gave better coverage with less wasted spraypaint.
I only needed to use a tiny amount of black ink to cover spots on the legs and the very top of the helmets. This is a lot less than I would have had to do with assembled models where the limbs cover areas of detail.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h255/cheeseandchives/sprue1.jpg

2. Painting, this also presented fewer problems than I had expected this may be unique to the cadian sprue, but there are no difficult to get at areas, whats more I had something to hold the models with other than a slottabase.
Production-lining was easier too, since similar components were placed together.
For the same reason as the undercoating, there will be no areas of detail untouched by paint.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h255/cheeseandchives/spruepaint3.jpg

Well, there are two fairly dull pictures for you to go with a fairly boring thread. I doubt it'll get any more interesting but I'll post the assembled figs later.

devolutionary
07-06-2006, 02:15
You can do the bodies with ease, but the arms and weapons are connected to the sprue at very obvious locations. These will lack paint, and touching them up later will be rather obvious, as the pain thickness and colour will vary. I am thinking about taking this route with my Marines for their bodies, if only because of the hard to reach areas once they are assembled.

I'll be keeping an eye on progress though :D

sir_robin
07-06-2006, 15:37
I've tried this method some time ago,work quite well IMO..the only problem was when you had to remove them from the sprue...you have to repaint some areas and it's harder to glue them,as poly-cement doesn't hold well over paint...

HPD_Andy
07-06-2006, 18:23
Same experience as sir_robin.

ZAChos
07-06-2006, 18:44
You can always file the paint off the parts you are going to glue. My main problem with this method is that you can't convert the models to any large extent, such as repositioning and sculpting.

kermit
07-06-2006, 19:09
I have tried this too... I just put a bit of tape (masking tape) on the parts that I was going glue. It was a bit of a pain to put the tape on, but I think in the end it was worth it.

I found it much easier to handle for plastics!

Good thread, hopefully people find inspiration in it.

starlight
07-06-2006, 19:45
kermit beat me to it.:D

I've done this for some sprues in the past, but I'm doing more this way all the time.:D

I find that the little bit of extra prep work is worth it in the long run.:D

Piku
07-06-2006, 21:08
My camera has been borrowed by a mate for a theatre project , so there's no photo updates today.

Thanks for the feedback (and here was me thinking I'd discovered something new and radical!:D) and apologies to those people who came here looking for Pinting on the sprue...

I'll give a rundown on the painting so far instead (you'll probably be able to guess where the colour scheme comes from :evilgrin: ).

1. Black undercoat. Black wash to fill in missed areas.

2. 1/1 Watered down Boltgun metal applied to the bayonnettes, las-barrels and metal details. 1/1 Watered down black wash over.

3. Fatigues, hands and faces given three coats of 3/1 water and snakebite leather

4. Armour plates and helmets given several coats 3/1 water and fortress grey until even.

5.Thin lines of codex grey applied to the deep recesses of the armour.

6. 1/2 blazing orange to the fatigues.

. 1/2/2 of chestnut ink, yellow ink and water applied to the fatigues.

Thats them so far, later on I shall be giving the fatigues a wet brush of blazing orange (not sure how to highlight yet, poss. orange+white+orange wash..)
The armour will recieve its highlights of skull white and the faces with a mix of dwarf flesh and whatever comes to hand (I normally improvise faces.)

The light is failing this evening so I shall pack up till tommorow. On a curious note, I normally paint the faces first, but I'm leaving them till last for this. Having painted limbs on the sprue gives them a greater animism, and I'm fairly sure that disembodied heads will give me the heebie-jeebies:p .

I'm going to have to think of a good reason for their high visibility colour scheme, I'm thinking a shipboard security detail. In which case means no stocks on the guns, no stocks means no bayonnettes. These are easy to cut off, but I'll see.

McMullet
07-06-2006, 21:46
This suddenly makes my 144 Gaunt nid army seem more plausible without resorting to dipping (not that I have a problem with dipping, just I don't think it'd work with the colours I want).

I'll be keeping an eye on this. I like the sound of the shipboard security guys though, they sound like they'll look interesting indeed.

Erestor
07-06-2006, 23:28
Faster ways to glue, use a scapel/knife to scrape the paint off, remove the worst offenders in terms of really obvious holes, ie on the shoulders, then blue tack/use a very tiny amount of super glue, them to a piece of sprue, so that the shoulder join is not exposed to paint, then, play on.

I'm going to try these techniques for my dwarfs for the same reason. too many covered spots.

Also, Piku, make sure you don't spend too much time painting details that won't be all that visible when they are assembled. I've done that. (flashback... Me: "gosh that chest eagle looks really good, damn, I wish I could see it through his arm!")

Piku
08-06-2006, 02:38
Also, Piku, make sure you don't spend too much time painting details that won't be all that visible when they are assembled.
Noted.
For the next batch I'll put a dob (the scientific measure) of PVA glue on the joins. I've realised that I'll be molesting the components with my greasy mitts in order to clean the atachments and the paint. For reasons I shan't go into here, I have a box of surgical gloves that I'll use for then.

McMullet, go for it, I'm getting through this unit in a matter of days, normally we'd be talking months.

Piku
08-06-2006, 18:36
I've taken the legs and the torsos off of the sprue, they're nearly done and if I'm honest I couldn't resist mucking about with them.

The heads are proving a bit tricky to do so they'll be off next.
Here they are are, the limbless expeditionary force to planet Ikea.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h255/cheeseandchives/offsprue1.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h255/cheeseandchives/offsprue2.jpg

McMullet
08-06-2006, 19:24
Impressive!

Couple of things don't stand out as much as maybe they should though: The Aquillae on the chest armour, and the belts. The belts will probably be hidden by the guns anyway, so that's not a problem, but the chestplates look a bit unfinished without something to make the symbols stand out a bit.

Piku
08-06-2006, 20:12
The belts are going to be given a run over with chaos black.

You are right about the chest plates, I think I will drip a little more codex grey into the recesses, aquilae will be painted shining gold over black.

Piku
10-06-2006, 17:33
So yes, I am a ponderously slow painter, these guys have taken a lot less time than normal though. It's probably a speedy technique for more efficient painters.

After weighing up the pros and the cons of painting on the sprue, I've decided to use a bastardised amalgamation of this and standard build and paint.

I'll be undercoating and bascoating while still on the sprue, assembling and doing the rest normally.

Ths is the (still not done!!) serge.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h255/cheeseandchives/built1.jpg

starlight
10-06-2006, 17:46
That's what I've found to be the best. Do most of the broad strokes (as it were) while on the sprue (cleaning, under/basecoating, dominant colours - the spray and assembly line stuff) then assemble and finish the details.

Months down to days? That was my experience also. I find it less imposing and far more encouraging to whip out the spray cans and do a bunch of sprues in one sitting than to plod through many minis. The sight of so many painted sprues is also encouraging because I'm *that close* to playable minis.:D

noneedforaname
10-06-2006, 18:00
is it just me or is anyone else seeing rebel alliance starfighter pilots. lol.

starlight
10-06-2006, 18:32
It's just you.:p

Yes, I did see the influence.:D

Khrangar
10-06-2006, 18:58
Those rebel scum... look quite good actually. Good job.