PDA

View Full Version : Concerns with the cauldron of blood

TsukeFox
04-11-2013, 16:49
1) if the Cauldron joins a unit, is this new unit considered a mixed unit, for purposes of negating stomps & thunderstomps?
( only other example is the Screaming Bell & Furnace )

2) if the unit & Cauldron break a unit, can the unit elect to reform while the Cauldron pursues?

3) can the cauldron with the Hag still alive make way? As it is a character mount & the same foot print as the unit. Or is it bound to remain in the center?

Now the Bell & Furnance ( also are unit type "unique" ) I would cannot make way as they do not get to make independent moves of their unit, but as the Cauldron is just a chariot mount should not the Hag be able to make way with the Cauldron ?

mostlyharmless
04-11-2013, 16:56
Yes, yes, and yes. As it is a character mount, is capable of moving independently of the unit, I would say yes on all accounts.

theunwantedbeing
04-11-2013, 17:06
1. Probably not*
2. No, it's part of the unit so either the whole unit persues or the whole unit reforms
3. It has to be in the middle of the unit, so no

*since the lizardmen FAQ has gone and skink&krox units can now be stomped
We need an FAQ on the matter really, but the FAQ team seems to have died

Kalandros
04-11-2013, 18:43
Yes, yes, and yes. As it is a character mount, is capable of moving independently of the unit, I would say yes on all accounts.

Nope. While its part of a unit, it can only leave in the Remaining Moves or after declaring a charge of its own - pursuit, overrun and such do not allow leaving a unit.

bigbiggles
04-11-2013, 21:02
1) probably, its a pretty easy category to get into
2)no
3) pretty sure no, think it says something about how it has to stay in middle of a unit

Blkc57
04-11-2013, 22:13
You guys do realize the part about not being able to stomp a mixed unit was part of the Lizardmen FAQ right? An FAQ which really isn't in existence anymore. This is why I always complained about GW not putting important FAQs like defining a mixed unit into the Main FAQ and instead trying to do that BS in the army book FAQs. They changed the way mixed units worked for Lizardmen, so now the FAQ changes and now we go into the dark again.

bigbiggles
08-11-2013, 18:46
As far as I know, skaven giant rat packs are a unique/unusual type. People laugh that they can't be stomped even though both parts are stompabe

Blkc57
08-11-2013, 22:00
Why do you say, bigbiggles, they can't be stomped? There is no definition for mixed units as being unique anymore, that was the key part of the Lizardman FAQ and something that is now gone. In fact the Lizardman book went one further and said you can in fact stomp the mixed Kroxigor/Skink unit now. Skaven giant rat packs can now be stomped again unless there is another FAQ somewhere that defines a mixed unit as being a completely new unit type that is immune to stomp attacks. Something I can't discount since GW loves to hide important rules in strange places.

redisdead
10-11-2013, 18:27
I have another issue with the cauldron:
in a case where the cauldron is alone, and the hag dead... The cauldron profile do not have any leadership value for the serving witch elves, so how does it works if it has to pursue, flee, etc?
Shall we use 8 for command value as for the usual witch elves? Are the tests automatically succeeded ?

NurglesRot
10-11-2013, 22:12
Doesn't it say in the BRB that "-" stats automatically fail etc?

Seems like an odd one that no leadership is assigned to the actual chariot itself. Are you sure that the crew themselves don't have a leadership value? (don't have the DE book so can't check)

theunwantedbeing
10-11-2013, 22:27
Doesn't it say in the BRB that "-" stats automatically fail etc?
Regular stats do.
The leadership stat seems to be separate and doesn't, but a roll of a double 1 would be required to pass (auto-pass) as you wouldn't be able to roll lower than - (0).

Seems like an odd one that no leadership is assigned to the actual chariot itself. Are you sure that the crew themselves don't have a leadership value? (don't have the DE book so can't check)
The Skaven Screaming Bell and Plague furnace both lack a leadership stat on either the thing itself or their crew.
The Dark Elf book makes the same mistake.

The Bloodwrack shrine gets a leadership value, but that can't be purchased as a mount.

redisdead
10-11-2013, 22:40
Yes, the DE book just gives "-" for both the chariot and servant. Only the hag has a leadership stat.
the sanctuary, cold one chariot and scourge charriot all have Ld value for the setvants, so I assume (hope) itīs a mistake in the book redaction...

to support this assumption, I would mention that for the scourge chariot the black steeds have a Ld value given p94 and p96 (short description) but not p38 (description with fluf)
(sorry if page numbers do not comply, I have the french DE book version)

Necromancy Black
11-11-2013, 06:24
Regular stats do.
The leadership stat seems to be separate and doesn't, but a roll of a double 1 would be required to pass (auto-pass) as you wouldn't be able to roll lower than - (0).

Nope, Leadership 0 or - auto fails any leadership test. See the BRB FAQ.

Use to be fun completely destroying a screaming bell by hitting it once with the old Blade of Realities.

SanDiegoSurrealist
12-11-2013, 20:39
1) if the Cauldron joins a unit, is this new unit considered a mixed unit, for purposes of negating stomps & thunderstomps?
( only other example is the Screaming Bell & Furnace )

2) if the unit & Cauldron break a unit, can the unit elect to reform while the Cauldron pursues?

3) can the cauldron with the Hag still alive make way? As it is a character mount & the same foot print as the unit. Or is it bound to remain in the center?

Now the Bell & Furnance ( also are unit type "unique" ) I would cannot make way as they do not get to make independent moves of their unit, but as the Cauldron is just a chariot mount should not the Hag be able to make way with the Cauldron ?

1) No, the "No Stomping unique/mixed unit" rule is gone. But chances are it is/will be FAQ just like the LM rule. As long as there is infantry in base contact with it, they can be stomped. Once all infantry are dead any extra wounds caused by stomps are lost.
2) No, pursuit is all or nothing.
3) Without having the rule-book right in front of me I would hazard to say "yes it can makes way as long as it does not take anyone out of combat."