PDA

View Full Version : WFB noob needs help. 1,5k Dark Elves

Plague Lord
05-11-2013, 01:17
Hi guys. Long time WFB player here, been playing 40k for the last couple of years but my mates are trying to get me back into wfb. I used to have beastmen but sold em and still had some dark elves so with the new release I'm settled on them. This is an army based on mostly what I have. I want it to be a corsair themed army (since my mate's empire is a pirate army! fun!) and doesn't have to be really good just fun to play and produce tight games. I'd like a tactical challenge, not just point and click but bear in mind that I haven't played wfb for like 7 yrs. Oh and we aren't so keen on 8th's uber magic phase and might rework it back to 6-7th schematics so I'm taking no magic casters (or defence, thought there's isn't much you can do against 6 dicing uberspells is there?)

Here it is:

Lords:
Fleetmaster /w ogre blade, enchanted shields -> TRying to use his ability to kill ppl to get me some unbreakable corsairs. Str 6 with rerolls of 1 seems good and an armour save of 2+ should keep him alive.

Heroes:
Assassin /w adHW, dark venom -> this guy will try to kill some heroes or just mince infantry/knights with his killing blow. Maybe not ideal but I have the model and like the fluff ;]

Core:
20xDreadspears /w FC -> Defensive block. Either 5 or 4 wide, can't decide. Assassin here.

20x Corsairs /w addHW, FC -> main offensive block with my lord.

10xDarkshards /w musician
10x Darkshards /w musician - Shooty units. I'd imagine a fleet would have lot's of these fellas

Special:
2xReaper bolts throwers - More shooty + my anti cavalry units

Rare:
2xKraken -> Seamonster galore. Have the really old hydra model(metal one) with some heads missing. Going to greenstuff it up to make a huge maw with tentacles giving me a giant walking squid monster!

That's it. I guess it's not great but hope it's not bad. I really do like the executioners! Oh and my mates play: OK, HE, O&G, dwarfs, WE, LM, WOC, DOC and TK - lot's of fun games!

Cheers,

The PLague Lord

Plague Lord
06-11-2013, 14:39
No one? :(

Soundwave
06-11-2013, 14:49
Looks good!Throw some reaper bolt throwers in there and away you go.The fleet master will give you a good challenge he is not ideal,dread lords kick way better to the point where you wont need to be unbreakable,but if you like him keep him:).
Edit...sory you do have rbt...missed that.

npow34
06-11-2013, 14:50
It is a fluffy list which I am sure you will have fun playing with, but I think you will have a very hard time winning games against high strength, high toughness armies. I like your theory behind the fleetmaster and I love the model, but honestly he is too expensive for what he gets. I would use him as a standard dreadlord and kit him out accordingly.

Your 20 dreadspears will not be enough to be a defensive block. They just die to easily. You would need more to create a defensive unit like 25 to 30.

Your corsairs are not an offensive block. They just lack any type of punch without magic support (shadow).

NOW, if your whole game plan is to sit back and wittle down your oppenent with shooting and then rush in with your infantry and monsters that could work. Be sure to double up with your charges and coordinate the your units. Bring in the Karibdryss with the corsairs and the same with the spears. Try to get the monsters in the flank.

Darkshards are great at this point level, but I would reccomend giving one of the units the banner of eternal flame.

The bolt throwers are a win.

The pair of Karibdryss are good.

Hopefully this helps. I am a more competative gamer and every list for the new Druchii starts with Warlocks.

Romark
06-11-2013, 15:00
It is difficult to make a fluffy list for a Corsair raiding party that wont be annihilated instantly. Personally, i think the Black Arks would have taken some Cole One Knights along with them, fast, powerful and scary. Perfect for driving people out.

Dreadspears are actually worse at acting in the defencive role than Corsairs now. Corsairs have a 4+ AS as standard. I'd consider dropping this unit and looking elsewhere to make up Core allocation. A small unit of Dark Riders to clear chaff wouldn't go amiss.

Obviously, you have to have Corsairs in there (i'd be tempted to get rid of the Darkshards and make them Corsairs with Handbows, just for some extra Black Ark lovin') and try to find the points for 8-ish Cold One Knights. Dropping one of the K-Diss' and maybe some core? I'm not sold on Assassins either at this point level, no defence and they die very easily. In big battles they are a luxury. Maybe switch him out for a standard Master kitted with Mundane gear and BSB him?

It is a decent list, and looks fun to use, but against the higher toughness armies you would struggle to compete.

Plague Lord
06-11-2013, 15:51
That's some stellar input! It seems that most of the armies my mates have are tough besides TK and HE. Damn.
Thing with the spearmen is that I have around 25 of em from back in the day and would like to use this unit so not to buy new stuff. Corsairs are great for this since they are so cheap(money wise)
I was thinking about ditching the darkshards for some corsairs with bows but wouldn't that make my shooting worse at long range?

The assassin again I have just got the model from a mate's old collection...huzzah! I can see that statswise the dreadlord is better point for point but the fleetmasters unbreakeable thing is interesting... tests to be done! CoK I have allways loved but they cost a lot, to get a decent unit I would have to drop a kraken and possibly a unit of crossbows or the assassin. Might do that though won't they hit around the same as the kraken?

Romark
07-11-2013, 07:39
You would have 6" less shooting, but with a better AS and they always get Stand and Shoot. So for the last bit you can position yourself 1" in front of the unit, shoot, then when they charge get a stand and shoot. So maybe you wont shoot first turn, but it should work out about the same.

For the CoK. It's a tough one. I dont think with your current set-up you'll be making much use of the K-Diss' abilities. But if you swap out 1 K-Diss and a unit of crossbows (as you suggested) you have 9 CoK's. These have 1 less S (on the charge) than the K-Diss', but 4 more attacks and wounds. And with a better AS. And not forgetting the attacks from the Cold Ones. Now, if you can get the K-Diss to get a supporting charge off on the target unit you will cause a lot of damage, and the K-Diss' leadership ability will come into play.

I'm a fan of the Fleetmaster. Overpointed and not very good stats/rules for it's price. But damn is it fluffy!

Kaim
08-11-2013, 17:27
Fleetmaster /w ogre blade, enchanted shields -> Trying to use his ability to kill ppl to get me some unbreakable corsairs. Str 6 with rerolls of 1 seems good and an armour save of 2+ should keep him alive.

A really bad idea, Fleetmasters are the worst characters we have in this book. You'd be better off with a Supreme Sorceress lvl 4. She's cheap to get and the plastic one looks very good. If you really dont want any casters you are crippling yourself as hell. Dark Elves are all about the magic, without it they are medicore. Magic wins games for us.

Assassin /w adHW, dark venom -> this guy will try to kill some heroes or just mince infantry/knights with his killing blow. Maybe not ideal but I have the model and like the fluff ;]

He is okay but youd be better off with a master BSB on a pegasus with the cloak.

20xDreadspears /w FC -> Defensive block.

They are fine I guess, but you should get some Execs.

20x Corsairs /w addHW, FC -> main offensive block with my lord.

Again fine but I'd keep either them or the spears not both and get Execs.
Keep in mind that they need magic, most DE units need magic support.

10xDarkshards /w musician
10x Darkshards /w musician - Shooty units.

I'd drop one unit and give the other the flame banner.

2xReaper bolts throwers - More shooty + my anti cavalry units

Fine.

2xKraken -> Seamonster galore. Have the really old hydra model(metal one) with some heads missing. Going to greenstuff it up to make a huge maw with tentacles giving me a giant walking squid monster!

They are pretty meh tbh if you are not planning on getting other models let them stay. A way better option would be adding Dark Riders and the awesome new Warlocks.

That's it. I guess it's not great but hope it's not bad.

If you plan on fighting people with nasty lists dont expect to win. If fluffy lists then, well maybe.
Also CoK work only in a unit of 10 or 7. They are good though, bit expensive but good.

Yanos666
10-11-2013, 10:33
Its not a bad list at all for a fluffy one, my only issues would be to exchange the dreadspears for more darkshards, archers can have shields and add hw's, I'd take a unit of 20 you can reform them from 10x2 into 5x4 it needs be, take the flame banner with them, also if you are going to use an assassine, manbane is better than dark venom I find.

Also no sorc.... I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a sorc free army (though my dark elves army is themed around the convent of the sorceress in Ghrond)

Dirty Mac
10-11-2013, 10:38
Try to make some space for shades if you can.

Plague Lord
11-11-2013, 12:27
Played my 1st game with DE yesterday! A similar list but a bit changed and 2000points to that!

Here it is:

High sorceress /w lvl4, common 4++ and fencers blade - rolled the 2 primaris powers, the power that makes a unit take a ws test and black horror.
Master /w heavy armour, shield, dragoncloak, bsb, dragon helm (for a 1+ save), dawnstone
Fleet master / w ogre blade, enchanted shield

27 dreadspears /w fcg
20 Corsairs /w fcg, addHW
10 darkshards /w shields
10 darkshards/ w shield

20 executioners /w flaming banner, fcg
2 reaper blt throwers

1 kraken

Well it well... kinda. My crossbows shot up a unit of clanrats and some poisonwind globadiers and then got off a flank charge on some plague monks so that unit did very well. My sorceress had all her spells dispelled except the black horror which I 6diced on turn 1 (no IF though) and rolled a miscast so it killed her, around 6 dreadspears and 5 corsairs (yay for magic!). I stupidly charged the kraken into the HPA and it caused 1 wound and died. Then my executioners took the charge of the abomination and failed their feartest (on a reroll the bsb was withthem) so had ws 1 and only managed to put 4 more wounds on it (so it had 1 left and killed like 10 of my elves :/ ) added to that I had no mage so my mate's plague monk managed to get in the nmr6 plague spell from his plague monk 2 turns in a row and that killed a load of my elves! So the HPA eventually went down but I lost all my executioners (I held on a nice snake eyes roll!) The he charged his plaguemonks with priest into 2 exectioners and the bsb (i chopped him up and managed to draw the combat even though the bsb was the only one left. Then my spear elves wiped most of his units. A fun battle! The fleet master was pretty good, adding some good combat resolution to his unit and winning every challenge.

I hate the fact that my mage blew herself up turn 1. Think I'll just get a level 1 with the tome of furion and spend my points elsewhere...

Romark
11-11-2013, 14:19
My sorceress had all her spells dispelled except the black horror which I 6diced on turn 1 (no IF though) and rolled a miscast so it killed her

Explain please... No IF, yet miscast? I wouldn't give up hope with Sorceress', a Level 4 can change the game. Also, against Skaven take a Dispel Scroll (even though in this case it wouldn't have mattered...), you never know when you need to throw one at the Dreaded 13th!

Plague Lord
11-11-2013, 15:00
Explain please... No IF, yet miscast? I wouldn't give up hope with Sorceress', a Level 4 can change the game. Also, against Skaven take a Dispel Scroll (even though in this case it wouldn't have mattered...), you never know when you need to throw one at the Dreaded 13th!

I got off the spell but rolled a misfire (sorry) on the artillery die and it landed on top of the sorceress, I failed the ward save and bam!... :/

Romark
11-11-2013, 15:03
I got off the spell but rolled a misfire (sorry) on the artillery die and it landed on top of the sorceress, I failed the ward save and bam!... :/

AH! I understand. Very, very unfortunate. Though, under the new Black Horror rules does it not just do a single wound? I dont have my Army Book at hand, and generally don't use this spell, so i could be mistaken.

Plague Lord
11-11-2013, 15:08
If you fail the test you die :/