PDA

View Full Version : 2,400 Competitive High Elves (1st attempt)

Snake Eyes
05-11-2013, 10:30
Last weekend there was a Fantasy Tournament held by one of my local gaming clubs. It is held once a year and consists of 2 games at 1,000 points and 2 games at 2,400 points. This year with a bit of a poor show, my Ogres and I came a respectable 13th place out of 36. A group of my friends are looking at all doing a new army for next year’s tournament working out that about 100 points to build and paint every 2 weeks is reasonable.

I thought this seemed like a good idea, so I have decided to join in with High Elves. The only fantasy army I have ever owned is my Ogres and everything else in the system seems quite different when looking at army selection. After reading through the Tactica Thread here, amongst talking to a few other people I have come up with a good starting basis and would like some opinions and help from the Warseer community.

The below is what I currently have been working at. I still have 174 points left which I am unsure about what to spend it on. All comments and Critique would be greatly appreciated.

Lord:

Loremaster – 330 points

Sword of Anti Heros
Shield of the Merwyrn
Book of Hoeth

Hero:

Noble – 153 points

Battle Standard Bearer
Elven Steed with Barding
Dawn Stone
Dragon Helm
Heavy Armour
Great Weapon

Mage – 110 points

Level 1 (Lore of High Magic)
Dispell Scroll

Core:

Silverhelms (14) – 342 points

Shields
Musician
Standard Bearer

Elyrian Reavers (5) – 95 points

Bows
Musician

Bows
Musician

Bows
Musician

Special:

White Lions (27) – 421 points

Musician
Standard Bearer
Banner of the World Dragon

Rare:

Frost Phoenix – XXX points

Sisters of Avalorn (10) – 140 points

Sisters of Avalorn (10) – 140 points

Great Eagle – 65 points

Always Strike First
+1 Strength on the turn it Charges

Total points comes to 2,226 which leaves 174.

chipperchopperchappi
05-11-2013, 18:37
out of interest why are you choosing a loremaster as opposed to an archmage?

Snake Eyes
06-11-2013, 11:21
I decided on the Loremaster over the Archmage purely as a personal preference. I havent had a game with the High Elves yet, but the flexibility of the Loremasters casting, plus the fact he can look after himself in a fight was a nice bonus. Having played Ogres previsouly my Casters have never been too squishy in combat, but a lot of my friends seem to worry about how survivable casters are when in combat. The combination of the combat ability and the flexibility just appealed to me.

Looking at what to spend the rest of the points on I have been considering a Noble on Great Eagle. The set up I have been looking at is:

Noble - 173 points
- Great Eagle with Swiftsense
- Golden Crown of Altazar
- Charmed Shield
- Heavy Armour
- Lion Cloak
- Sword of Might

What do people think?

Snake Eyes
06-11-2013, 12:27
Double post. Interesting...

K3nn3rs
06-11-2013, 21:15
I'm in a quandary between Lore-master and Arch Mage- I'd would be interested to see how it fairs.
Love Reavers - though I run mine with bows and spears.

Kahadras
06-11-2013, 22:41
Looking at the list...

Loremaster - Not sure about the set up as he's a lot of points. I like the Book but I'd be tempted just to get him something like the Dragonhelm and leave it at that. It would give him a 4+ save, Fireborn and 3 strength 6 attacks in combat. He can get a Regen save from Earthblood, get wounds back from Lifebloom and boost his strength and toughness stats with Wildform. If the worst comes to the worst get off Miasma and swap him for another friendly character who's within 18 inches of him.

BSB - I'd take Dragon armour instead of Heavy armour. I'd drop the Dragonhelm and the Great weapon and take a normal shield and the Sword of Might. You lose a point of strength but you gain back your ASF. You also get a 6+ ward save to go with the 2+ armour save and you keep Fireborn. I'd probably drop the Dawnstone to save some points.

Noble on Eagle - I think he's probably better run cheap and cheerful. I'd give him a basic Eagle, Dragon armour, Enchanted shield and a lance.

Mage - I'd probably drop him and spend his points elsewhere.

Core - Looks OK to me.

Special - Not a lot to say.

Rare - I'd probably try to get two Frostheart Phoenix at the expense of the Sisters.

Snake Eyes
07-11-2013, 08:42
Dropping so much from all the characters and removing all the sisters for a second Phoenix leaves a lot of points. What are you thinking they should be spent on? I think the Book of Hoeth on the loremaster is essential. I know he ends up quite expensive, but as a level 2, the book gives him an edge when competing against level 4 wizards. The change in set up on the BSB seems reasonable. Again, not so sure if dropping the Dawn Stone is worth it. Loosing a lot of the protection from the characters seems risky. Again with the Noble on Eagle.

I can understand that they are quite pricy points wise, but is it even worth running him without the protection? He seems too easy to deal with. Loosing a decent shooting Element for a second Phoenix again seems like an odd choice. I havent played with the army yet, but is there a reason why you think a second Phoenix would be better?

I admit there are a lot of Vampire armies around my area which is why I went for the sisters over the RBT. But having neither for a second Phoenix is an interesting choice.

Kahadras
07-11-2013, 10:09
Loosing a lot of the protection from the characters seems risky. Again with the Noble on Eagle.

IMHO the BSB and Eagle Noble don't want to be getting into protracted combats/challenges so layering up protection isn't worth it.

Loosing a decent shooting Element for a second Phoenix again seems like an odd choice. I havent played with the army yet, but is there a reason why you think a second Phoenix would be better?

What's better than a flying monster that comes with WS 6, S6, T6, 5 wounds, Terror, a 5+ armour save, a 5+ ward save, magical attacks and gives opponants in combat both ASL and -1 strength? Two flying monsters that come with WS 6, S6, T6, 5 wounds, Terror, a 5+ armour save, a 5+ ward save, magical attacks and gives opponants in combat both ASL and -1 strength.

SteveW
09-11-2013, 06:20
You have 600 points in lords, get the archmage and the loremaster. You don't have to spend every possible point you can in magic items on them to make em worth taking, just take the loremaster with a armor of destiny and an Archmage +1 level, 4+ ward and the book. There you go, you still have 15 points in lords.