PDA

View Full Version : HE shield of the Merwyrm

Methios
05-11-2013, 19:53
I was wondering if give this item to a mounted character. (Say an noble on an eagle) Would it give the Noble a parry save in close combat even tho its mounted?
The rule book states a parry save cannot be given to mounted charcters. But the army book says. Unless he is fighting with a weapon that requires both hands. the bearer has a parry save

Kain187
05-11-2013, 20:07
Then you follow the rules of parry save. Their just stating if you have a magical weapon it does not prevent you from parrying. For instance you can not parry while mounted, flank attacks or stomps.

SimaoSegunda
05-11-2013, 20:47
I would argue he does get the parry save, because the item rules say he does, and army book trumps BRB. However, I'm aware opinions may vary.

Methios
05-11-2013, 20:50
Well i have seen in used alot. Even in tournies. I would say it does give you a parry save. But you are unable to use it because your mounted.

Kain187
05-11-2013, 21:33
Exactly the book doesn't change the rules for what is a parry save. The book gives you a parry save. If you can not use a parry save then you can not use it. The key wording is the "user has a parry save".

Citadel97501
05-11-2013, 23:52
I originally you got the save, but after thorough reading and discussion. I do not believe you do so. I will lit the current arguments, since their are only three real arguments for or against.

Best Argument: Exclusive vs. Inclusive Rules Set
The shield specifically states it gives you a parry save, and only lists on rule it overrides. Due to the rule set if it doesn't say it breaks a BRB rule, it doesn't.

Argument over Language:
Parentheses, as in (), are used to de-emphasize part of a sentence. Since they are included to explain (even if fighting with a magic weapon), this is simply an example of one of the many ways in which this item over rules the standard parry save rules. This means that you will get the save, regardless of the other rules here. The rules for parentheses are taken from this site. http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/parentheses.htm

Argument Issus:
This uses American English grammar rules, while we are unsure if the grammar is different in proper Queen's English. In addition this argument doesn't hold water, because then we are unsure of when you get the parry save, since if you remove one restriction without t being specifically excluded, what others apply? Do you get it vs. impact hits and stomps which is in the same section preventing it from being used by mounted models?

Argument for Save:
It givers you a parry save while mounted, because the restriction on getting a parry save, is for a normal shield parry.

Argument Issues:
This is incorrect the parry saves are under their own heading, but are near the shield rules just for clarification since in the BRB its the only method of getting a parry save.

Wesser
06-11-2013, 06:29
Al usual restrictions to parry saves apply:

Can't be used while mounted

Can't be used against attacks in the character's flank or rear

Can't be used against impact hits or stomps

Still a great item for a foot lord though

Citadel97501
06-11-2013, 08:23
I agree Wesser, if I am not fielding Alarielle then I am fielding my preferred Lore Master build.

Lore Master
-Sword of Anti-Heroes, Shield of the Merwyrm, Book of Hoeth.

This build works out very well, as I can effectively cast and can deal with any annoying challengers pretty efficiently. I almost always get 4 or 5 attacks out of this guy at strength 5 to 6. I think once I even had this guy up to strength 8 and 6 attacks due to buffs, and a death star.