PDA

View Full Version : geographical locations on terra

Camman1984
07-11-2013, 10:26
I have been wondering where places like, the golden throne, the biggest hives etc were on earth, in relation to modern political and geographical borders. I know after 30000 everything will have changed so it wont be a case of 'just off the m4' but is there a map of terra?

Warsmith Tharak
07-11-2013, 11:26
I think the golden throne is located where the personal toilet to the boss of GW is placed in Nothingham.

Karak Norn Clansman
07-11-2013, 11:56
Not to my knowledge. The geography of 40k Terra is largely unknown, although one gets some ideas of the geography for 30k and Age of Strife Terra from the Horus Heresy books (including Mechanicum). What is know is that the Emperor's palace with dungeons and throne covers the Himalayas.

AndrewGPaul
07-11-2013, 12:57
The Inquisition HQ was previously described as being under Antarctica,

There may also be some more hints in the Space Wolves novel where Ragnar goes to Earth.

Sandlemad
07-11-2013, 13:26
GW and BL seem to be getting better at obscuring their Terran locations. For every clear 'Albia' and 'Scandia' there's an 'Oberath' and 'Solus Stellax', to pick just two from Massacre.

Colonel Mayhem
07-11-2013, 13:30
I believe a few Primarchs were building gadgets and gizmos in the Urals in a text I read.

EDIT: Here is where I found it(It's the chapter called"The Gorgon and the Phoenix"):

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Ferrus_Manus

Camman1984
07-11-2013, 16:20
Thanks for the advice, got more here than i found googling :)

Nazguire
07-11-2013, 18:23
Most of the oceans on Terra had evaporated by that point too, which would have opened up vast swathes of land to settle and build upon.

Imagine building in the Mariano Trench...

Inquisitor Engel
07-11-2013, 19:27
Most of the oceans on Terra had evaporated by that point too, which would have opened up vast swathes of land to settle and build upon.

It's possible the cities within the Mariana Trench were wiped out by the VIII Legion during the end of the Unification Wars. The description for one of their battles in Massacre is in the right area, given the other geographical information we're given.

spacemonkeymojo
07-11-2013, 19:37
I always thought the Emperor's Palace was described as being atop the Himilayan mountains. I picture it as incredibly grandiose - almost like elaborate baroque style meets the Vatican with some fortifications left from the Heresy. Unless I am mistaken, I also thought that they specifically mentioned the High Lords of Terra's location. I wish I could remember where but I think it was where the Vatican is.

Furls
07-11-2013, 21:10
In the Horus Hersey series there is a reference to the Atalantic plain (a barren land with a what reads like a post apocalyptic culture), an ndonesian bloc, and noble families/a hive on the South Merican continent. There are some others that I cannot think of off the top of my head.

Romanov77
07-11-2013, 22:16
Hy Brazil

Merica

Talia (Italy, of course)

Old Franc

That's all I remember.

Sandlemad
08-11-2013, 07:23

Definitely, there's multiple references to the 'Mediterranean Dustbowl' and I think there might have been a reference to settlement in dried-up parts of the Atlantic in The Outcast Dead

@ Inquisitor Engel: Nice catch with Vhnori and the Mariana Trench, couldn't figure out what canyon that could be.

Askil the Undecided
08-11-2013, 07:38
It`s stated that the hive cities of terra cover the entire surface to multiple levels nowadays b7t here is the important bit I know.

the Imperial palace was built on the himalayas (in fact most of the mountains were demolished to provide the building materials.)

The chamber of the astromonicon choir is on the (somewhat reduced) peak of mt. everest.

the Urals are famed for their forges (probably an early base of manufacturing Mk1 thunder armour, later the forge the primarchs used to create some of their legendary weapons.)

Camman1984
08-11-2013, 10:28
I love the scope of everything in 40k, mountain range sized fortresses and all that :) is any of the surface clear at all or is it just a city planet?

Also what is the ambient temperature of earth and the humidity as barring massive solar activity the water should be there somewhere, either frozen in the rock (unlikely) as seas, or in the atmosphere, or has it simply been removed?

Retrospectus
08-11-2013, 14:21
Merica

'MURICA!! (couldn't resist)

Mellow
09-11-2013, 12:45
The Inquisition HQ was previously described as being under Antarctica

Didn't all the oceans boil away from the surface of Terra? Surely that would include polar ice caps as well?

Colonel Mayhem
09-11-2013, 20:32
Antarctica is not all ice ;)

AndrewGPaul
10-11-2013, 10:52
It was in Draco, and the ice was still there. The oceans vanishing is a more recent invention.

Forse
10-11-2013, 13:30
A question from someone relatively new to 40k fluff: Are we sure that the 40k universe is our universe in a distant future? The references are clear, but I was always under the impression that this was one of of those things GW left ambiguous on purpose. Yet people talk about Terra as our Earth with such certainty that I fear I've missed something.

(I am aware that 'terra' is latin for 'earth' but this hardly evidence that 40k = our future world)

Romanov77
10-11-2013, 15:40
You known, they also mention Mars, Saturn, Titan, and the Moon...

Forse
11-11-2013, 01:05
Ah, right. I knew about Mars and Titan. But still, there's so much more in 40k that sort of speaks against a connection. I kinda figured it was one of those links created way back when they first wrote 40k, and since then so much has happened that it's just a few names in common that remain. Ah well :)

Inquisitor Engel
11-11-2013, 04:45
A question from someone relatively new to 40k fluff: Are we sure that the 40k universe is our universe in a distant future? The references are clear, but I was always under the impression that this was one of of those things GW left ambiguous on purpose. Yet people talk about Terra as our Earth with such certainty that I fear I've missed something.

(I am aware that 'terra' is latin for 'earth' but this hardly evidence that 40k = our future world)

Yes. We are 100%, absolutely certain, and have been since 1987. The Horus Heresy series has had The Emperor visit a Catholic church, references to Shakespeare, Ghengis Khan and even the old Dark Angels Codex makes reference to Edgar Alan Poe. It's so far removed from our period of time though that outside of these little drops here and there, it's not really of consequence.

Forse
11-11-2013, 05:01
Oh $#*%. Haha cool references, Shakespeare and Poe.

Thanks

Camman1984
12-11-2013, 12:13
High gothic is basically latin and low gothic is whatever language the reader speaks (translated from english) so in low gothic do people still call terra earth? Or has terra become the only name?

I wonder if people in the imperium have this shining modern world whether the streets are paved with angel feathers, whereas in reality it is a poluted over urbanised hellhole.

Bloodknight
12-11-2013, 12:37
'Oberath'

Overath is in Germany, Oberarth in Switzerland ^^.

Are we sure that the 40k universe is our universe in a distant future?

Sure, unless the other Terra has an Anatolia for the Emperor to be born at, too.

Nazguire
13-11-2013, 01:30
As Engel said, it's definitely our Earth, but is so far into the future that anything we do today would be nothing more than a half forgotten legend. Between now and the Horus Heresy is about 28,000 years. That's such a stupidly long period of time that anything we do now will be of no consequence at that time. Entire civilisations have disappeared and been basically forgotten about on Earth in not even a fraction of that time, let alone 28,000 years.

Mellow
13-11-2013, 19:51
That's the whole point isn't it. Everything from the Horus Heresy has become half forgotten myth and legend, which means the details of Old Earth would be completely lost to time.

It's a shame Malcador became toasted. He was collecting old artwork etc from the 20th century and before wasn't he...

Mellow
13-11-2013, 19:52
That's the whole point isn't it. Everything from the Horus Heresy has become half forgotten myth and legend, which means the details of Old Earth would be completely lost to time.

It's a shame Malcador became toasted. He was collecting old artwork etc from the 20th century and before wasn't he...

Poncho160
13-11-2013, 20:15
I was always under the assumption that Emperors Palace was sat on top of Nottingham ie GW HQ? Pretty sure I have read that in multiple places.

AndrewGPaul
14-11-2013, 09:34
So have I. Importantly, though, not a single one of those cites a source. It's just another baseless rumour.

Perhaps someone asked Rick at Games Day and got that as a facetious answer. Perhaps it even was "true" (inasmuch as that means anything in 40k; the location of the Imperial palace was never discussed in any terms more precise than "on Earth" in the background material), but going by the Horus Heresy series, it's not now.

Askil the Undecided
15-11-2013, 06:36

Yes it is, or rather yes it will be.

Terra is Earth. The wealth of referencess to places, religions and ancient histories are proof enough but if you really want to go into it it is explicitly stated that the emperor was born in north-western turkey (then called Anatolia) back in 3000BC IIRC (it`s 3k, 6k or 9k but i`m not 100% off the top of my head.) the old realms of chaos books go onto state that the Emperor lived in many guises trying to influence and advance mankind (basically that he was Alexander the great, Einstein and [insert religious figure here] but not explicitly stated due to RL legal issues with religious institutions.) It`S also stated that the Primarchs were made in labs on the moon.

Not to mention that Terra is in a solar system that matches ours exactly and is in roughly the same position on a galactic map. Can`t say for sure as I`m not a stellar cartgrapher.

As for the imperial palace it`s also said to cover the majorityof the Earth`s surface by the 41st millenium but I imagine this is more of a case of all the organs of imperial rule getting compressed into one sprawling megastructure consuming an entire hemishpereand all of it being referred to as the imperial palace because it is impossible to tell where one part ends and another starts.