PDA

View Full Version : Normal 40K Characters Against Primarchs Experiences

Godzooky
08-11-2013, 11:12
Good morning, all.

I'm curious to hear any tales of 40k vs 30k games you might have played.

More specifically, I'm interested to see if anyone has a story of an unlikely, but epic, primarch take-down at the hands of a 40k special character.

Camman1984
09-11-2013, 12:13
I have seen lysander beat up angron before, took a couple of rounds but he did it.

Also saw lukas the trickster stasis bomb the same angron in a different battle. Not sure it was legal afterwards but during the game it was allowed.

Akwikone
09-11-2013, 16:42
I have seen lysander beat up angron before, took a couple of rounds but he did it.

Also saw lukas the trickster stasis bomb the same angron in a different battle. Not sure it was legal afterwards but during the game it was allowed.

Lukas's Stasis bomb works on any model, including and exceeding a Warlord class titan.

agurus1
09-11-2013, 17:05
thats pretty epic :)

Freman Bloodglaive
10-11-2013, 03:08
I think a Black Templars Chapter Master with usual ingredients, hammer, shield eternal, artificer, bike, would have a chance to smack over a Primarch.

Not necessarily a great chance, but a chance anyway.

Losing Command
10-11-2013, 05:53
I've only seen Angron shredded by some marine's with bolters during a apocalpse game. There were some sergants involved, but it probably doesn't count :p

Mortimer
10-11-2013, 05:59
Angron getting torn to shreds by 30 grots shooting him was fun.

he had lost 2 wounds already so maybe it was a little easier.. but 30 of the buggers overwatching him, for him to die is funny.

SimaoSegunda
10-11-2013, 12:22
I wasn't directly involved, but I was playing in a game of Apoc where somebody was using Horus. He deep struck in, got into a fight with some Grey Knight character. He killed the Grey Knight, but there was some power that meant when the Knight died, he got to take a psychic test, and when he passed the test, Horus was removed with no saves.

The Luna Wolf player was raging!

GreyishKnight
10-11-2013, 13:04
That would be the Brotherhood Champion's Heroic Sacrifice psychic power doing it's usual job then. :D

Mortimer
10-11-2013, 13:15
I wasn't directly involved, but I was playing in a game of Apoc where somebody was using Horus. He deep struck in, got into a fight with some Grey Knight character. He killed the Grey Knight, but there was some power that meant when the Knight died, he got to take a psychic test, and when he passed the test, Horus was removed with no saves.

The Luna Wolf player was raging!
Horus is an Eternal Warrior.. I am pretty sure the GK stance can't kill you outright if you have EW, but I may be wrong.. it has been a year since i last wiped my **** with that dex

09philj
10-11-2013, 16:21
Angron bit off more than he could chew and got pulped at the hands of Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka and his boyz. In another game my converted Old Zogwort turned Fulgrim into a Squig.

Retrospectus
10-11-2013, 21:20
Horus is an Eternal Warrior.. I am pretty sure the GK stance can't kill you outright if you have EW, but I may be wrong.. it has been a year since i last wiped my **** with that dex

the attack doesn't inflict instant death, it simply removes the other model. thin jaws of the world wolf or diresword

Kijamon
10-11-2013, 21:37
They're not even that great in 30k! I had a game where a guy used the Moritat to blow Angron to bits with dual plasma pistols.

Dunno what FW were thinking with those rules. 15 wounds to save is not likely even with a Primarch.

cuda1179
10-11-2013, 22:17
My friend tried to kill my Necron royal court with Fulgrim. It was his first time experiencing massed Mind Shackle scarabs. I had 4 guys in the squad using them, so the chances of Fulgrim NOT being controlled was pretty low. It was fun watching him bash himself in the head while the occasional lord got lucky with a Warscythe hit.

Camman1984
11-11-2013, 14:04
I think this was always the risk of having official rules for primarchs, they are always written as being unstoppable, unkillable masters of war, but due to game mechanics its quite possible to kill one with models of a much lower standing.

Ssilmath
11-11-2013, 15:04
If it has stats, it can be killed. Though I prefer to think of characters being killed as simply being "driven from the battlefield." I can see even a Primarch pulling back to reengage after seeing a dozen plasma guns aimed at them.

Nubl0
11-11-2013, 17:54
My swarmlord has claimed both the lives of angron and fulgrim so far, having access to biomancy helps too :P

Zaszz
11-11-2013, 18:10
We are playing through the betrayal campaign at the moment, and the two times a primarch has taken the field, he was completely unstoppable. He hides behind a wall of land raiders, advanced into range, charges and massacres whole units. Let alone combined charged from terminators first then the primarch.

Even when we have managed to get multiple units able to fire at them they just seem to soak it up. Crazy high toughness combined with awesome saves and it will not die is just nasty. They play like a suped up tyranid monster in combat, but have a model size more like a dreadnought so they are easier to get cover with.

nosebiter
11-11-2013, 18:22
My friend tried to kill my Necron royal court with Fulgrim. It was his first time experiencing massed Mind Shackle scarabs. I had 4 guys in the squad using them, so the chances of Fulgrim NOT being controlled was pretty low. It was fun watching him bash himself in the head while the occasional lord got lucky with a Warscythe hit.

Sais more about the daft mindshackle scarab rules then the primarch rules.

I think they are were they need to be. Powerfull and need the right amount of force applied to off them.

I had Mr Mannus facesmash against my mates orks this saturday. He was a monster but got offed in the end by a loota sqaud. But he had chewed through most of the dangerous stuff in his army by then. A warboss, some mega nobz, a killa kan mob and a mega dread.

Ssilmath
11-11-2013, 18:28
I had Mr Mannus facesmash against my mates orks this saturday. He was a monster but got offed in the end by a loota sqaud. But he had chewed through most of the dangerous stuff in his army by then. A warboss, some mega nobz, a killa kan mob and a mega dread.

That sounds epic, and exactly what I would expect from a cinematic representation of a Primarch.

nosebiter
11-11-2013, 20:08
That sounds epic, and exactly what I would expect from a cinematic representation of a Primarch.

It was huge fun. For the both of us. All in all, the Legion List form Betrayal has given out local group alot of enjoyment, no one has given the new marine codex much thought, all the marine players ik the group (all 2!!) are re organising their marine armies for the Legion list.

agurus1
11-11-2013, 20:25
It was huge fun. For the both of us. All in all, the Legion List form Betrayal has given out local group alot of enjoyment, no one has given the new marine codex much thought, all the marine players ik the group (all 2!!) are re organising their marine armies for the Legion list.

good to hear that more people are being inspired to turn to the true book!!!! lol I'm the only legion players in my area at the moment, but the people I have played have enjoyed the games so much that they are starting to look into it for themselves.

Mortimer
11-11-2013, 21:01
good to hear that more people are being inspired to turn to the true book!!!! lol I'm the only legion players in my area at the moment, but the people I have played have enjoyed the games so much that they are starting to look into it for themselves.

I love plating against legion lists.. as it is funny to sweep 15 marines in CC, or have the "Dev" squad equiv run away and keep running.

Though they do have some nice tanks. and Contemptor Talons make a mincemeat of my units foolish enough to be caught out of cover.

nosebiter
11-11-2013, 21:16
I love plating against legion lists.. as it is funny to sweep 15 marines in CC, or have the "Dev" squad equiv run away and keep running.

Though they do have some nice tanks. and Contemptor Talons make a mincemeat of my units foolish enough to be caught out of cover.

Well, playing against an opponent that is a fool apparently makes it easier ;-)

TheMav80
12-11-2013, 03:53
I think this was always the risk of having official rules for primarchs, they are always written as being unstoppable, unkillable masters of war, but due to game mechanics its quite possible to kill one with models of a much lower standing.

All the dead primarchs would seem to indicate this is false.

The Illuminated
12-11-2013, 04:02
All the dead primarchs would seem to indicate this is false.

And what killed them? Fellow Primarchs, or they committed suicide (Kurze and Dorn). ;)

Nubl0
12-11-2013, 05:12
Prim arches can be a tough and unstoppable as they want, but nothing is walking away from multiple lascannon/plasma in the face. In the books they do seem to shrug off a lot but then they never get some real heavy ordnance on top of them, they always end up in melee where they excel. I feel their in game rules are fine, and it's things like GDs and avatars that could stand to be more like them.

agurus1
12-11-2013, 07:15
Well, playing against an opponent that is a fool apparently makes it easier ;-)

agreed lol, in my experience a well put together Legion list will give you a good fight win or lose, and hopefully never be a pushover. It can hurt when/if the larger squads get swept in CC, but honestly by far prefer the Legiones Astartes special rule compared to ATSKNF.

As far as primarchs are concerned, one of the things we have to keep in mind is that if a primarch is being used, the 40k opponent should have access to a Lords of War slot as well (basically a FOC slot that give you access to Super Heavies and Gargantuan Creatures), and the game will most likely have to be 2000+ points. I may be a bit biased since my chosen Legion's Primarch (Perturabo) hasn't been released yet, but I would never run him in anything short of apocalypse.

Primarchs being Independent characters is nice since you can attach them to squads for some LoS rolls, but often that will leave them having to walk to the opponents army since their size makes it hard to fit them (with attached squad) inside anything short of a Land Raider Spartan, Storm Eagle, or Thunder Hawk.

Ursus
12-11-2013, 07:30
hard to fit them (with attached squad) inside anything short of a Land Raider Spartan, Storm Eagle, or Thunder Hawk.

Not seeing that as a problem.

agurus1
12-11-2013, 08:11
Not seeing that as a problem.

except that is nigh on impossible to do short of apocalypse levels and still have much of a flavorful army. consider that most primarchs are in the 400-500 points range makes it at the very least 25% of your army (Lords of War rules state that it can only be 25% of your army), and only a 2000+ point list can field one, then stick say a land raider spartan in there, thats another 350ish points to make it properly field-able. Soooo around 50% of you list right there at 2000, maybe leaves you room for two 20 man tactical squads, and a small terminator squad to stick in the spartan, and a centurion or two but not much else. Really easy for your opponent to prioritize the Raider, leave the primarch & friends walking and then destroy other scoring units throughout the game. Also a highly mobile army can just run circles around him the whole game (meq-dar or dark eldar, any flying circus's, ect...). So not necessarily competitive. I feel like a Heresy era player would want to field their primarch properly, in an epic game 3000+ points with hundreds of legionnaires and tanks alongside!

I'm not saying its a problem, but the rules only really facilitate using a primarch at higher points levels. I'm more tempted to bring a heresy era superheavy at 2000 :) 3000 is where I'll drop in Perturabo and friends

Fizzy
12-11-2013, 08:40
My Angron have yet been taken down. Funny enough.

My friends use very little tanks and big weapons. They use hordes of units. And Having Angron in a unit of 20 marines with CCW helps a lot. They took 2 wounds in total I think and that was the HQ's and a lascannon from a heavy weapon team.

My girlfriend came closest. Fighting her warboss "Kookie" (I know) and with the help of a supa kannon he was standing with 1 wound left.

And I am yet to see how Ferrus Manus will perform.

Ohh almost forgot headshoted the last wound of Fulgrim with Kharn's plasma pistol :) Felt pretty epic as Kharn had lost his squad to Fulgrim. Failed leadership test and ran. He eventually turned back and fired at Fulgrim to kill him.
(This was before the rules for Kharn came out, I made my own. Very similiar to the ones in Massacre)

agurus1
12-11-2013, 08:59
yeah Massacre's Kharn has me wanting to make a WE allied detachment for my Iron Warriors :)