PDA

View Full Version : Monstrous cavalry and choosing the model with highest number of wounds.

gormthegreat
08-11-2013, 12:53
When determing the wounds of the models; lets say a chaos Sorcerer lord on daemonic mount. Do you determine which wound characteristic to use at the start of the battle or before each attack?

So: Would the model have 3 wounds as both model and mount have 3 wounds or would it effectively have 6 wounds(as each time it is attacked and wounded a different model would have the highest wound characteristic)?

Artiee
08-11-2013, 13:14
No, Since the daemonic mount is monsterous beast, The Sorcerer Lord on a daemonic mount is considered Monstrous Cavalry. You use the highest of the wounds characteristic. Pg 83, 105 and FAQ. So the Sorcerer Lord would have 3 wounds. If a Sorcerer (hero) was on a daemonic mount, his wounds would be 3 also.

gormthegreat
08-11-2013, 13:34
I suspected what you say would be correct but it was after reading the entry on pg 83 that I asked the question as it doesn't say WHEN the Wounds characteristic is chosen.
I suppose T5 and 3 wounds will just have to be good enough :P

Thank for the reply.

bigbiggles
08-11-2013, 18:43
Well, if you want to think of it that way, then you would calculate it once before battle

Blkc57
08-11-2013, 22:17
I suspected what you say would be correct but it was after reading the entry on pg 83 that I asked the question as it doesn't say WHEN the Wounds characteristic is chosen.
I suppose T5 and 3 wounds will just have to be good enough :P

Thank for the reply.

Since the two parts are always considered one model and can never be separated, then your answer of "when" is quite simply...ALWAYS. Here it even says it in the FAQ:

Page 83 – Monstrous Cavalry. In the second paragraph, replace “All the cavalry rules...with one exception – monstrous cavalry always use the highest Wounds characteristic...” with “All the cavalry rules...with two exceptions – monstrous cavalry ALWAYS use the highest Toughness and Wounds characteristics...” The emphasis on always is mine.

warplock
09-11-2013, 06:04
I think what the OP means is:
A Chaos Sorcerer has 2 wounds, a Demonic Mount has 3. At the start of the game, the whole model uses the Demonic mount's wounds as that is the highest figure. But by that logic, once the model has taken 2 wounds, wouldn't the Sorcerer then have the highest amount of wounds?
The answer is, that the rule specifies that you always use the highest wounds 'characteristic', which is 3 regardless of how many wounds the model has actually suffered.

gormthegreat
10-11-2013, 09:11
Yep sounds about right. cheers warplock.

I only asked the question because the rules for monstrous cavalry specifically say that the way to work out wounds is an exception to the normal rules for cavalry. And, because it's an exeption you can't automatically assume that it is still relevant that when using cavalry you completely ignore the wounds of the other model. It does make sense that you wouldn't add the wounds together but at the same time it was something I wanted to make sure of.

Personally I think it's a shame but I suppose chaos characters are pretty scary already without having 5 or 6 wounds.

bigbiggles
11-11-2013, 02:20
Either way, you just add wounds onto a model, once it equals or beats its wound Value you remove the model