PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at a Dark Elf army list

Merellin
08-11-2013, 17:05
So, I'm just returning to Fantasy after 2 or 3 years of only playing 40k, And I'm starting a new army, Dark Elves. ow I dont remember much of fantasy and know less about Dark Elves, but I'v tried to make a army list for them, I want to expand it to get to between 2000 and 2500 points but I need help with it..

Dreadlord
-Sea Dragon Cloak
-Heavy Armor
-Shield

--Heroes--

Sorceress
-lvl 2
-Sacrificial Dagger
-Dispell Scroll

Master
-BSB

--Core--

20 Bleakswords
-Champion
-Musician
-Standard

20 Corsairs
-Champion
-Musician
-Standard
-Additional Hand Weapons

10 Darkshards

10 Darkshards

--Special--

5 Cold One Knights
-Champion
-Musician
-Standard

5 Cold One Knights
-Champion
-Musician
-Standard

10 Executioners
-Champion
-Musician
-Standard

We dont run super competetive lists for the most part, We just play friendly games in my group of friends so I dont realy want a lvl 4 mage, But I do want a killy lord..

Knifeparty
08-11-2013, 17:39
Hey, welcome back.

Dark Elves are one of the most awesome (my favourite) armies out there that can compete in every aspect of the game and dominate any of them.

A few things to comment on, first off are you planning on 1500 or 2000 pts? 1627pts is kind of a weird number so I'll just try to comment on what you've chosen .

First off, Dreadlords are cool but not really worth it for the most part unless you have specific purpose in mind. If you are going to invest in a Dreadlord maybe consider putting him on a Dark Pegasus. A good build would be something like this: Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Dark Pegasus, Sword of Bloodshed, Potion of Strength or possibly the Ogre Blade and the Cloak of Twilight. This way you can fly around the board and run into expensive enemy units like knights and monsters and decapitate them. Otherwise running just a naked Dreadlord is not advisable.

The Sorceress has 2 arcane items, she can only have one so I would drop one of them. They are both very useful but as you say you don't want to play overly competitively I would suggest just using the dispel scroll. The Sacrificial dagger is more useful on a lvl 4 anyway.

For the Master, again like the Dreadlord, you should kit him out to do something. Because he is the army BSB I would suggest kitting him out for survivability and putting him into the Cold One Knights. A good build would be: Battle Standard Bearer, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Lance, Cold One, Armour of Glittering Scales, Dawn Stone. So he has a 1+ re-rollable armour save and enemies are -1 to hit him in combat.

At 1500 points you only need 375 points of core, and at 2000 you only need 500. You are way over core and definitely don't need to be. Take whatever core you need and take what is useful.

I would drop either the Corsairs or the Bleakswords, both of them generally fill the same function in the army which is a Steadfast bunker for your sorceress. They don't win games, and at this point you don't have enough of them to be steadfast for long. Generally speaking, if it's a core unit of infantry with strength/toughness 3 then you want about 30 to 40 of them just to hold units in place for a couple of turns before you can get your hard hitting units in to win the combat.

Darkshards a cool and useful, you could keep these in to fill core. They are good at killing enemy fast cav and light units but don't expect miracles from them either.

I would put minimum 2 units of Dark Riders in the army. They are the best fast cav in the game and fill your core choices up. You have no chaff/re-director/harassment units in the army as of now so I would highly suggest putting these guys in there. They are a must have in every army, never make any army without at least 2 units of chaff.

Cold One Knights are great and I love them. I never leave home without them. The rule with Heavy Cavalry is you go big or you go monster hunting. If you go big, make it a huge unit of around 12, so 6 wide x 2 deep. Put a couple of characters in there for support and just ruin things in your way. If you go small, just take 6 with only a musician and possibly a standard bearer with the flaming banner to negate regeneration. Just run around the board and try to fight lone monsters or get a good flank charge, at this point they are a support unit only.

Executioners are also very good. However 10 will not get anywhere quickly, and will likely die before they even touch combat. With executioners you want at least 30 of them at 10 wide and 3 deep so they can get 30 attacks at strength 6 with killing blow.

The main problem I find with your army is that you lack a main fighting unit, which is a must in this game. You really need to focus on one unit in your army that really lays the hurt on people and go from there. Everything else in your army should be used in support of that main fighting unit. At 2500 points you can focus on 2 main fighting units as you have more points to utilize. Big units are the name of the game in fantasy, it's very different from 40K.

I hope this helps.

Merellin
08-11-2013, 18:10
Thanks for the reply, Like I said I'm trying to build it up to arround 2000-2500 points. I compleately forgot about the 1 item of each type rule, Been so long since I played Fantasy.. What if I armor up the Dreadlord and Master a bit and put them in the Cold One Knight unit? I picked Bleakswords cus I remember liking sword and shield better then spears, Sure it is a couple of attacks less but they are more survivable.. XD And I like Corsairs, Ok, So if I buff up the corsairs, And drop the Bleakswords, And combine the Cold One Knights.. And then buff up the Executioners a bit.. My group dosent realy use hordes though (We used hordes once or twice before we stopped playing and not at all after continuing)

What else would your ecomend adding to the army to come up in points?

Knifeparty
08-11-2013, 18:40
You could definitely beef up the cold one unit. For the last 10 years I've been running 11 Cold One Knights with a Hydra Banner BSB to great effect. Now that the Hydra Banner is no longer an item for Dark Elves I've been trying to figure out how to use Cold One Knights. They are a bit trickier to run now than they used to be because the Hydra Banner gave everyone in the unit +1 attack on the charge. I've decided to run them with Malus Darkblade who I think will make the unit as powerful as it once was.

Remember that Strength 3 attacks don't win you games no matter how many attacks you have (unless you have poison and armour piercing), which is one of the reasons why I've never found Corsairs that useful. At least now they have a 4+ armour save. They are just too expensive points wise for my taste.

Hordeing isn't for every unit. I haven't run a horde formation of anything this edition except for Grave Guard, and now with the new Dark Elf book I will be running a Horde unit of Witch Elves and Executioners because I feel that they are all offensive, and benefit the most out of being in the most offensive formation possible.

As for units that I could recommend to buy, it would be 2 units of Dark Riders first and foremost. Then perhaps 3 bolt throwers or 2 Chariots or possibly a unit of Warlocks.

Merellin
08-11-2013, 18:53
I never thought about special characters.. Hmm.. Seems like the Malus Darkblade model is gone from the webstore.. And Chariots.. Hmm.. A couple of Cold One Chariots might be fun to add.. What is the use of the Dark Riders? They look a bit fragile..

Knifeparty
08-11-2013, 19:47
I think that the idea of Fast Cavalry/re-director/chaff units is one of the hardest concepts for 40K players to grasp when starting fantasy.

Dark Riders are Fast Cavalry, they are fragile (although probably the most well armoured fast cavalry in the game) but the point of them isn't to get into combats with big blocks of enemy units.

All fast Cavalry have a free 12" movement before the game starts (scouts is the rule in 40K, in fantasy it's called vanguard). Then they can march up to 18" meaning they can be on the other side of the board on the first turn, right in the enemies face. Basic uses for Fast Cavalry include taking out enemy war machines, scouts, or other fast cavalry. The best use for Fast cavalry is to move right in front of an enemy unit stopping 1" away. In fantasy you have to move as a block formation, you can't just run around units like you can in 40K. So the enemy has to either charge you to get you out of the way so that they can move forward, or they have to re-form and march sidways and then re-form again to face forwards which costs the enemy all of their movement value to do, so actually an enemy infantry unit can never manoeuvre around your fast cavalry quickly enough to get away from them because your unit is so much faster than theirs. This is a useful technique in keeping enemy units tied up for a while or making sure that his units get broken up so that you can take on one unit at a time. If he chooses to charge your fast cavalry, you can choose to flee from the charge and because you are faster it means that you are more likely to flee to safety while his unit fails the charge and gets stuck out in the open so that you can freely charge him in the next turn with one of your units like Cold One Knights. Then on the next turn, Fast Cavalry can rally from the fled charge and move around and do it again (they have a special rule that allows them to do this).

So basically fast cavalry are one of the most important elements of the game that a lot of new players overlook. It takes a while to get used to how to use them properly, but when you do it opens up a whole new element to the game and definitely gives you and advantage over your opponent. In fact, fast cavalry are so important that they are immediately the first thing I shoot at in a game, you need to get rid of them as quickly as possible to gain the upper hand.

Merellin
09-11-2013, 07:10
*nods* That does sound useful, But complicated. I guess I'l take a group or two and try it out, Thanks ^_^

mypantsarefree3
10-11-2013, 17:27
I think it's a fine list, but I'd combine both CoK units so when they do get to the enemy lines they still have the attacks to matter. I dont think the dreadlord brings much to the army for his points. I'd get rid of him and put the points toward more executioners. In this case the sorceress would be field-promoted to general. If you wish to keep him I'd find a way to protect him better.