PDA

View Full Version : Optimum 1st Turn Steam Point Generation

Lord Dan
09-11-2013, 05:42
This may already be common knowledge, however I thought I'd share some insights on what I feel is the optimum number of steam points for an Empire player to generate for their Steam Tank on the opening turn of the game. Please note that this logic does not carry through into subsequent turns, when the context of the situation will determine how few - or many - steam points are required to get the job done.

In short, the optimum number is 4.

I see many players in my local meta generating 3 steam points because it's the "safer" option, and because 3 is generally enough to get decent use out of their tank; a long drive, or a medium drive with a short cannon shot, depending on the situation. The thing is, 3 isn't really safer than 4.

Let's quickly break it down:

When generating 3 or 4 steam points you consult the boiler mishap on the exact same artillery dice rolls: misfire, 8, and 10. In either case there's a 50% chance of something "bad" happening, and exactly what happens depends entirely on the subsequent D3 roll. Here's the catch: the only thing generating 4 steam points changes is that you risk rolling a 7 on the boiler mishap chart (D3 + steam points, which is in this case 4, whereas with 3 you could only ever get 6) which is actually a better turn 1 result than some of those which could be rolled up at lower values. In fact, a turn 1 roll of a 7 on the boiler mishap chart averages you 6 steam points, which gives you an opening turn of 3d6 inches AND a hail mary cannonball toss to something across the field for the reasonably low cost of 2 wounds.

In other words the mishaps you'd want to avoid on turn 1 (any which cause you to lose steam points) can be rolled with either 3 or 4 steam points generated, and generating that extra steam point actually opens the door to what I feel is a preferable turn 1 mishap.

Thoughts?

SimaoSegunda
09-11-2013, 20:53
Erm... Why would you consult the misfire table on turn one if you roll an 8 or a 10? Steam tank has 10 wounds, and you only misfire on a misfire result or a score higher than your current wounds. So until you take damage, the odds of misfiring are only 1/6.

Lord Dan
09-11-2013, 21:37
WOW! I had misread that paragraph to say something to the effect of: "If the roll + steam points is greater than your wounds..."

Just ignore this thread, then. :D

BattleofLund
09-11-2013, 21:41

Sir! Yessir! :)

MOMUS
10-11-2013, 08:36
WOW! I had misread that paragraph to say something to the effect of: "If the roll + steam points is greater than your wounds..."

This isn't a true lord dan thread, it didn't have a poll

Lord Dan
10-11-2013, 20:29
I wish I could like posts, MOMUS.

Roshan
11-11-2013, 11:05
in truth, i always generate 4 until it gets to 3 wounds, then i drop to 3 steam points. The amount of times you get a lucky missfire and get the points to still move or fight outweighs the amount of time it stands still..