PDA

View Full Version : WYSIWYG Assistance, new to Warhammer, Warriors of Chaos

Avin_Chaos
10-11-2013, 06:06
Greetings.
So, some friends of mine have decided to take up playing Warhammer fantasy and I've decided to join them, so I picked a Warriors of Chaos army book and a Battalion box and happily went about my day. As I'm picking through the models in this box and the rules in the book I've come to realize that there are a number of upgrades in the rule book that I would expect to have a WYSIWYG representation but for the life of me I've no idea what they are.

Of the following what kind of things should I be concerned with making WYSIWYG and what ones should I not worry about?

Aspiring Champion vs Chaos Warrior
Marauder Chieftain vs Chaos Marauder
Doom Knight vs Chaos Knight
Standard vs Magic Standard
Mark of (god name here)
Chaos Warrior great weapons and halberds don't seem to be included in this box.
Light Armor for Marauders
Any upgrades for Warhounds
Ensorcelled weapons

Photos of anything of that nature are more than welcome.
Also if there is anything else I should be aware of in the mean time any help would be wonderful.

furrie
10-11-2013, 07:44
you can find the great weapons and halberds here (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440112a&rootCatGameStyle=wh). As for the champion upgrades(Aspiring Champion, etc.) Just let them stand out, so its clear who the leader is. Magic standards don't need to be visible, but some people make conversions for them. Mark of a god can just be part of the paint job, even if you only do the spot colour. You can of course also convert the models to make the marks even more obvious. The rest is something I haven't looked at.

Mr_Rose
10-11-2013, 08:02
Unit champions are explicitly excepted from WYSIWYG actually, so you should feel free to model your aspiring champion/marauder chieftain/doom knight however you want. Standards vs magic ones is also a thing you ought not worry too much over, but generally magic = more jewels, runes and fetishes.
Chaos marks should definitely be represented but generally it's more than enough to paint using the god's favoured colour(s) and making the relevant god rune prominent on the armour somewhere. Some people go to greater extremes though, modelling the traits associated with the favour of the relevant god as much as possible (Nurgle followers are particularly fond of this it seems) especially on units like chosen or chaos knights, and characters.

The chaos warrior and marauder kits are now quite old and (more than) due for replacement IMHO but in the meanwhile you can paint light armour on your marauders by giving them leather-coloured skin with metallic dots to represent form-fitting studded leather, or you can sculpt on chain mail with green stuff. For the Warriors, you can convert/kit bash stuff or you can buy the "official" bitz from here (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440112a&rootCatGameStyle=wh). Warhound upgrades and ensorcelled blades are pretty much all in the painting however.

mypantsarefree3
10-11-2013, 17:44
Greetings.
So, some friends of mine have decided to take up playing Warhammer fantasy and I've decided to join them, so I picked a Warriors of Chaos army book and a Battalion box and happily went about my day. As I'm picking through the models in this box and the rules in the book I've come to realize that there are a number of upgrades in the rule book that I would expect to have a WYSIWYG representation but for the life of me I've no idea what they are.

Of the following what kind of things should I be concerned with making WYSIWYG and what ones should I not worry about?

Aspiring Champion vs Chaos Warrior
Marauder Chieftain vs Chaos Marauder
Doom Knight vs Chaos Knight
Standard vs Magic Standard
Mark of (god name here)
Chaos Warrior great weapons and halberds don't seem to be included in this box.
Light Armor for Marauders
Any upgrades for Warhounds
Ensorcelled weapons

Photos of anything of that nature are more than welcome.
Also if there is anything else I should be aware of in the mean time any help would be wonderful.

- aspiring champs have bits included to make them stand out, but doesnt need them to be legal. Just inform your opponent prior to the game what the units have for command and point out a specific model for the champ in the front row. Sane thing for marauders and calvary.

-at the game start you tell your opponent command options purchased for your units but THAT'S IT. Magic banners are secret. Warhammer fantasy is unlike 40k in which lists are not open. The standard model can be vanilla bland painted, it doesnt matter. You can use the same standard one game as magical and another as mundane.

-marks are a modelling choice. You can paint your army mono colored or use the GW studio colors for the specific units. You can paint a skullcruskers blue ans a disc of tzeentch green. As long as units are explained prior to the game all is fine. However, for your opponents benefit I'd put a clear marker of some sort by each unit or a specifically-designed unit banner to show the marked god.

-great weaps and halberds are unfortunately purchased/converted in addition to buying the unit box. It sucks. There are a lot of cheapish conversions available to choose from. Just search away and take your pick.

-armor for marauders and upgrades for hounds dont need to be modeled. Just tell which upgrades were chosen at start of the game.

-ensorcelled weapons are included in the plastic box, but you can use the lances as both lances and ensorcelled weapons, again, alerting your opponent prior to the game.

Good luck!

Malagor
12-11-2013, 22:26
WYSIWYG doesn't exist in fantasy just as it doesn't exist in 40k anymore.
It's all about recognision.
As long as you are aware of which unit is which and which model is which and this is made clear to your opponent then there is nothing to worry about.
So no need to paint them in their god's color or wear their symbols.
Paint them in the colors you want and use whatever symbols you like.

Piercefierce
18-11-2013, 02:16
Yeh i paint all my warriors undivided. Then I paint spare symbols of the appropriate god to use on the standard bearer which I make inter changeable. You do NOT have to paint them green to be nurgle etc. You don't even have to do what I do. I dmt for personal reasons.

Lord Zarkov
20-11-2013, 19:26
Yeh i paint all my warriors undivided. Then I paint spare symbols of the appropriate god to use on the standard bearer which I make inter changeable. You do NOT have to paint them green to be nurgle etc. You don't even have to do what I do. I dmt for personal reasons.

They do have to be identifiable as marked though (even if the identification is as simple as "they all have mark of X".

You're opponent should be in no confusion as to what unit has what mark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

mypantsarefree3
21-11-2013, 04:04
Yeah, the modeling/painting is fine with whatever. Just make sure your gaming group clearly states unit upgrades, marks, characters, etc. prior to the beginning of each game.

Another player cannot dictate how you hobby but they deserve clarity in the army description and in the end judge if they'll play you again by your manners in this regard.

Now go bless the world in the name of the chaos gods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)