PDA

View Full Version : 1500 ogre kingdoms

graeme27uk
12-11-2013, 22:08
Hiya,

I've played 4 games of WHFB now and our league is moving to 1500 pts.

We have grown from 500 pts and are adding a further 500 pts each time. We cannot change the army lists as the points increases, only add to them.

For 1000 pts I had:

Firebelly

level 2

great weapon

5 ironguts

standard bearer

27 gnoblars

trappers

4 leadbelchers

bellower

4 leadbelchers

bellower

ironblaster

For my next 500 pts I was thinking of going:

Firebelly

level 2

great weapon

ruby ring of ruin

Bruiser

bsb

standard of discipline

heavy armour

8 ironguts

standard bearer

28 Gnoblars

trappers

6 leadbelchers

bellower

6 leadbelchers

bellower

ironblaster

sabretusk

What do you think?

We cannot duplicate warmachines until 2000pts. No lord level characters until 1500pts, but then do I want to spend 500pts on a SM?

My experiences so far:

1) Panic tests hurt - hence the BSB and +1 LD banner
2) gnoblars are not as effective as I thought.... trappers just get ignored. Though if I line them up 5x5 then maybe rank bonus will help...
3) Firebelly is ok, but I think augments from Gut magic is better for ogres
4) IF my IG can get into melee stuff dies... but getting there is a pain
5) WoC destroyed me! ARGHHH
6) still love leadbelchers - even if they can be hit or miss with shooting... ogres with cannons! what's not to love?

I'd like to try Man-eaters, they look interesting. The Thundertusk sounds great, the freezing aura sounds good if you can get it to work as it overcomes Ogre poor initiative.

The Ironblaster is ok, but again can be hit or miss....

gero_nz
12-11-2013, 22:52
Hey,

You need to remove the points costs from the post - too much details

How are you fielding your gnoblars? Should be 5 wide - perhaps bump the unit to 30-35

WOC are a pretty good army, suspect your issue is largely experience/practice though

BSB is a good move, though I would consider ditching the magic banner and giving him some solid defence

Perhaps a bit heavy on the belchers - but then if you love em.... can't argue with ogres with cannons tbh

Cheers
A

graeme27uk
13-11-2013, 06:15
Removed the points. :)

I could replace the solo sabre with more gnoblars, maybe taking the unit to 30 (5x6). The problem I have with them is they are slower than the rest of the army, the trappers get ignored as they don't get charged, they just get obliterated if I charge them into hth.... with really poor LD they just lose combat on resolution and run... get pursued and wiped out.

The banner is in reaction to my experiences to date. Ogres have poop LD and panic tests have lost me units. It seems once an ogre army starts running it doesn't stop!

I wonder if gnoblars would be useful against WoC... walk small units with trappers in front of the WoC block of troops. The WoC can't charge anything with gnoblars close in (apart from the gnoblars with trappers which is risky). So whilst the gnoblars are holding up the WoC my ogres can get in place to charge.. or leadbelchers / shooting can start taking some down. Gnoblars don't cause panic for ogres so I won't run that risk.

Hmm... must be a solution!