PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Dark Elf Army. (Need Suggestions)

Exorcist
13-11-2013, 05:09
So. When i First started Out with Warhammer some 18 Years ago, i played two armies. 40k Orks and Dark Elfs.

Since i have a 40k Army allready These days i waited to Start a New Fantasy Army for quite a while now.
The New Dark Elf releases gave me the Motivation to go back to my First Love, So to speak.

So, as allways, im Starting out with buying some Models that i like and i want to paint. This is what in got so far.

1x Kharybdis/Hydra Box
1x Corsair Box
1x Dark Elf warriors Box (Want to Build them as crossbow Unit)
1x Fleetmaster (Love the Model)
1x Assassin

Soon to come:
1x Sorceress
1x Chariot Box

So, i have two theme ideas for my Army right now. One would be a klar karond based Army. The Fleet Master as the Commander of a black arc with mainly corsairs as Troops.

the Other would be the Personal Hunting Army of a High beastmaster.
Right now im liking the Second Idea better. Lots of Monsters. Id go with a high beastmaster on Chariot, 2 Hydras, Sorceress on Manticore or Dragon, Monsterhunting chariots.

But im Open to Suggestions. Im Looking for ideas right now Mostly.

(pls excuse the Speling errors. Im Tiping this on my iPad in a Hurry and autocorrect is killend me right now.)

Dirty Mac
13-11-2013, 08:37
Get some shades, they are great. Once you figure out how to use them properly, you will find them awesome.
They are a scouting unit, so you could have them as recon for your Fleetmaster fluff wise, or your High Beast Master even.

Exorcist
13-11-2013, 09:37
Oh yea, i forgot the box of darkriders. :)

Thanks Mac... that sounds good.

Dirty Mac
13-11-2013, 09:44
Shades, BS 5 , can march and shoot, 24" range repeater crossbows, +10" march is awesome, can deploy behind enemy lines, 2 attacks each, ASF re-roll 1s to wound, can take great weapons so strike at Init 5.
Assassins have scout rule so they can hide in a unit of shades. taking out weapon teams early, or small units of archers. or even fast cav if you are lucky.

Romark
13-11-2013, 09:50
Get Dark Riders, fit's into your, possibly, Black Ark theme (guessing with Fleetmaster, Corsairs and K-Diss around) and also a very strong Core choice for and DE army.

I agree with Shades. For War Machine hunting they are amazing. And they can hold their own against most Chaff if they have nothing to hunt.

Exorcist
13-11-2013, 16:14
Okay, so i gave it some thoughts and ive got a backround Idea. Since i dont have time to write it down right now, ill post the List i came up with here. (2000 Points that is)

Commander
High Beastmaster (300)
Scourgerunner Chariot

Heroes:
Sorceress (115)

Assassin (90)

Core:
19 Darkthorns (258)
Command

30 Darkspears (300)
Command

2 x 5 Darkriders (260)
Command
Shields & Crossbows

Elite:
1 Scourgerunner Chariot (150)

2 x Hydra (320)

1793 Points.

I didnt go full 2000, because as you noticed i didnt buy equip or magic items yet. I wanted mostly to show you a rough sketch of what models id buy. So, any suggestions are welcome. Im not looking for an uber competitive list thou. I just dont want to get stomped every game :)

edit: I realise shadows are awesome... i just cant make myself like their models. Dont know why... just dont like them.

envy
13-11-2013, 17:00
Just convert some. I made mine out of kit-bashing Corsairs and Warriors with Crossbows. Buying the Shadow Warriors/Sisters of Averlorn box and kit bashing with some left over DE bits could also work.

I have little to no modelling/hobby skills whatsoever and they look way better than the old models.

Exorcist
13-11-2013, 19:49
Okay, so, with an idea for the shadows i came up with a new army list :) (not much changed)

Commander
High Beastmaster (300)
Scourgerunner Chariot

Heroes:
Sorceress (115)

Assassin (90)

Core:
19 Darkthorns (258)
Command

20 Darkspears (210)
Command

2 x 5 Darkriders (260)
Command
Shields & Crossbows

Elite:
1 Scourgerunner Chariot (150)

2 x Hydra (320)

10 Shadows (190)
Greatweapons
Light armor
1893 Points.

Id apreciate some suggestions for magic weapons, items and standards.

Minigiant
13-11-2013, 21:12
edit: I realise shadows are awesome... i just cant make myself like their models. Dont know why... just dont like them.

Could always use the old dogs of war ones, the 'something' Manflayers. I always thought they looked considerably better than the standard ones

Dirty Mac
14-11-2013, 07:41
Drop the light armor on the shades, and drop the champion on each unit of Dark riders, and drop the champ on the dark thorns, and drop the scourge runner that your beastmaster is not using.
Saving you almost 200 points.

Make your Sorc a lvl 2 and take shadow lore , take the ruby ring of ruin and a dispel scroll on your sorc,even at such low points stopping a big spell at the right time could be the difference between a win and a loss.
Give you spearmen the banner of swiftness, and put your sorc in that unit.

Bump the thorns up to 20 men, and give them shields. Give your beast master the cloak of twilight, and keep him out of combat, since he is a sitting in a mobile weapons platform.
add a unit of doomfire warlocks and I have left your assassin naked, put him in the shades, you have 45 points left to give him items, I don't know what you should take, But try to put some sort of armor on him maybe.

Don Zeko
14-11-2013, 17:44
I kitbashed my shades using a box of wood elf glade guard and the leftover bits from the corsair sprue. Pretty easy to build, and I think the results look nicer than the finecast shades.

phlewis
14-11-2013, 21:22
I would recommend the following characters:
Dreadlord on Dark Pegasus with heavy armour, shield, Sea Dragon cloak. For magic items give him Cloak of Twilight and the Ogre blade. That gives him a 1+ save, 3++ ward save against magic and missile weapons, strength 6, with Killing blow and D3 wounds per wound inflicted in the initial round of combat.
Supreme Sorceress
Death Hag with Cauldron and Witchbrew

In core I recommend:
Corsairs with 2 attacks each or two repeater handbows and a 4+ armour save put out a lot of attacks and have the best armour save of all of the DE infantry.
Darkshards; with shields they have a good ranged punch, a 5+ armour save, and a 6++ ward save. I think they are the best of the three warrior units.
Witch Elves with the Cauldron. The Cauldron gives them a 5++ ward, reroll every missed wound, and double frenzy from the witchbrew for 4 attacks.
Dark Riders. Very versatile fast cavalry and now can take shield for a 4+ armour save.

In special I recommend:
Executioners for killing things with a high armour save and/or high toughness.
Reaper bolt throwers with their lower point cost in the new book are a good pick.
Chariots look good but I haven't used them yet.

In rare I recommend:
Warlocks as a troop type that looks good.

Hydras aren't what they were in the previous army book. They are still usable but much more fragile, less attacks with the loss of the beastmasters, and need to stay in the generals leadership bubble due to their low leadership.

Exorcist
24-11-2013, 20:23
So, ive tailered around a bit and this is my first 1000 Points im going to paint.

Sorceress 165
Ban Scroll, Rubyring of destruction, lvl 2

5 Darkriders 130

23 Darkspears

20 Darkshards

Kharybdiss 160

Probably has no synergy and i will get stomped by most other lists, but i want to build it around the backround. I will start a project log threat aswell soon.