PDA

View Full Version : eBooks, Warlords, Munitorum, etc

brionl
13-11-2013, 05:12
I searched on this site but I couldn't find anything pertinent.

Looking at the Black Library website, they have a whole bunch of small eBooks for prices <$5, from 9 to 21 pages. For instance the Warlords of the Dark Millennium: Azrael (http://www.blacklibrary.com/games-workshop-digital-editions/Azrael.html), or the Munitorum: Ranger Long Rifle (http://www.blacklibrary.com/games-workshop-digital-editions/ranger-long-rifle.html). What's in them? Has anybody actually bought one? Is it just fluff & artwork?

Or the Noise Marines, Plague Marines, etc. Are those new content, or just extracts from the Codex: Chaos Space Marines?

shadowhawk2008
13-11-2013, 06:09
Those are digital rules for using those characters for tabletop gaming I believe.

DarkChaplain
13-11-2013, 08:09
They're basically a short (though usually still longer than in the codex) version of the character's/unit's/weapon's/place's background. Not too indepth. This is usually followed by the thing's rules, some pictures of the painted miniatures, and for the heroes there's a few schematics / descriptions of their wargear (like the Talon of Horus for Abaddon, or Drachnyen, however that's spelled).
They're basically mini-tactica about the topic and what makes them special.

I don't feel the prices are worth it, especially since the lore sections aren't too impressive and just rehashes of earlier material, but they could certainly be helpful for tournament-orientated people who want to know what enemy special characters or gear are able to do, if they don't want to buy the whole codex. Still, I'm not a fan.

duffybear1988
13-11-2013, 12:11
I would avoid them at all costs. They offer very little that you don't already know, or can't find out for free elsewhere.

Havarel
13-11-2013, 15:13
The unit entry items (ie Centurions) are pretty good reads for the price. You get background details (a lot more than the codex entry), artwork, mini pics and sometimes a mini-story involving said unit (the kind of thing you used to get in WD). Some of the articles are rehashed from older sources (ie the Chaplain entry uses a lot from the old Index Astartes articles) but considering most of these sources you haven't been able to buy for a long time it's acceptable.

TL;DR if you're new to the hobby (ie the last 5 years) then the information is stuff that you likely haven't seen before and is well worth reading.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

brionl
13-11-2013, 15:26
They're basically a short (though usually still longer than in the codex) version of the character's/unit's/weapon's/place's background. Not too indepth. This is usually followed by the thing's rules, some pictures of the painted miniatures, and for the heroes there's a few schematics / descriptions of their wargear (like the Talon of Horus for Abaddon, or Drachnyen, however that's spelled).
They're basically mini-tactica about the topic and what makes them special.

I don't feel the prices are worth it, especially since the lore sections aren't too impressive and just rehashes of earlier material, but they could certainly be helpful for tournament-orientated people who want to know what enemy special characters or gear are able to do, if they don't want to buy the whole codex. Still, I'm not a fan.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like I'll be skipping them then.

What I'd really like to see for enemy codices is a cheaper version with just the rules, no fancy pictures or fluff. I used to buy all of the codices, but they're too expensive now. I'm just buying the ones that I might actually use.

Havarel
13-11-2013, 17:23
Well worth it, especially if you're a newer player as you won't have seen the material previously.

The background sections go into a lot more detail than the codex entries (Centurions for example have a lot of detail on their origins, usage etc whereas they get the equivalent of a brief summary in the codex) and even where is is recycled (ie Chaplains, Dreadnoughts) it's from sources that are loooong out of print and good luck finding the equivalent online.

You also get stats, and in the case of characters some neat artwork depicting their wargear/weaponry. For 3.50, we'll worth it (my boss spends more than that on a coffee in the morning!) . Even more worth it is the 20 IA bundle.

brionl
13-11-2013, 20:02
I'm not a new player though. I've been playing since Rogue Trader days. The book is sitting on a shelf a couple of feet from me right now. I'm not that interested in retreads of old fluff yet again.

Sandlemad
16-11-2013, 14:38
I'm not a new player though. I've been playing since Rogue Trader days. The book is sitting on a shelf a couple of feet from me right now. I'm not that interested in retreads of old fluff yet again.

If it's been covered in any Index Astartes, you know exactly what you're getting with them. They're not terrible if they cover a new subject that interests you.