PDA

View Full Version : Halberds + Shields (WoC) and a stomp question

Noodle!
13-11-2013, 13:19
I've seen some people using shields with their halberds, but as I understand it halberds are two handed weapons and this you'd get no benefit from a shield. What's the deal here? Am I wrong?

As for the stomp question I'm going to assume that if you're in a challenge and you kill the enemy character in the initiative steps before thunderstomp/stomp then the stomp does not happen. Right?
However, if I always strike last does the stomp and ASL attacks happen at the same time?

Thank you!

GotrekFan
13-11-2013, 13:32
Not too sure on the Stomp part of the question, but as to the halberd and shield option, while you wouldn't be able to use the shield in combat you would get the +1 save from missile attacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

theunwantedbeing
13-11-2013, 13:39
The halberd requires two hands to use in close combat, you can't use a sheild as well so you'll not get the +1 armour save bonus while in close combat.
You will however get it against shooting attacks. (as you're not in close combat)

Stomps have ASL, so if you die before that step is reached, you don't get to make a stomp attack. (same as dying before your own initiative step)

If you have a weapon that strikes with ASL (great weapon usually) then you'll make those attacks at the same time as all other ASL attacks (this includes stomps).

Blinder
13-11-2013, 17:22
Stomps are lost if you kill a challenge opponent before ASL (as are any other lower-initiative attacks from a mount or such), just as you cannot be struck by slower attacks from the unit if you slay your opponent.

Noodle!
13-11-2013, 18:05
Thank you for the answers!

Regarding the stomp, in other words it might be beneficial to actually get a weapon with ASL so you don't kill the enemy character before stomp for purposes of getting overkill?

theunwantedbeing
13-11-2013, 18:20
Regarding the stomp, in other words it might be beneficial to actually get a weapon with ASL so you don't kill the enemy character before stomp for purposes of getting overkill?

Yes, you want all your attacks to happen at the same initiative step if possible in a challenge (which is usually very tricky).

Noodle!
13-11-2013, 18:54
A shame I can't make my daemon prince ASL.
Good info! Thanks everyone.

-Totenkopf-
13-11-2013, 21:27
Weird, I really thought that you kept the +1 to the armour save when using a shield with a halberd but lost the parry save.. I could have swore it. Looks like it's time to read my rules again

Mr_Rose
13-11-2013, 21:30
Weird, I really thought that you kept the +1 to the armour save when using a shield with a halberd but lost the parry save.. I could have swore it. Looks like it's time to read my rules again

You can keep it with a spear, but halberds are two-handed.

theunwantedbeing
13-11-2013, 22:43

Page 7 of the current FAQ (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3180060a_WARHAMMER_RULEBOOK_v1.8_APRIL13.pdf).
It's not in Pink so it was at least covered in errata 1.7 (which was around a year ago? It's also in errata 1.4 which must have been at least two years ago).

Untill it was covered you could potentially argue that you got the armour save bonus from having a shield even if you were using a weapon which required two hands (as plenty of people did...).

boli
14-11-2013, 14:35
FYI Stomps are not ASL, they "happen at the end of combat"; which is after great weapon attacks.

theunwantedbeing
14-11-2013, 14:44
FYI Stomps are not ASL, they "happen at the end of combat"; which is after great weapon attacks.

Sorry boli but you're completely wrong on this one.

The rules are perfectly clear, stomps have ASL
Page 76 of the rulebook (under Stomp)
A stomp has the Always Strikes Last special rule...

Great weapons also have ASL.
Page 90 of the rulebook (under Great Weapon)
Added that just for completeness sake more than anything.

Mind if I ask where you're getting the idea that they happen at the end of the combat from?

boli
14-11-2013, 15:08
The blurb to the left of the rule in the BSB; whilst it may just be clarifying a point having automatic hits on a unit sounds almost identical to impact hits except for at the end of combat not the beginning; so I've always played it as:

- ASF will not effect it
- Happens after ASL

NurglesRot
14-11-2013, 21:44
Impact Hits are different though and are mentioned as being resolved at the beginning of combat before blows are struck.

The book is quite clear clarifying that Stomps/Thunderstomps have ASL so would go at the same tims as other ASL troops.