PDA

View Full Version : 2 treemen in 2000

rapscallion
14-11-2013, 00:57
whats up warseer, gota question for you. Im trying to run a competitive woodelf army in the 2000 pt range, I was wondering what your thoughts are on running a treeman and a treeman ancient together. pros cons etc.

Minigiant
14-11-2013, 01:33
My opinion is that two normal Treemen is better because it allows you to run more Lv4 Spellweavers

Wesser
14-11-2013, 05:55
Can't run two normal Treemen at 2000, but one and the ancient is a solid enough option as it gives you as much combat oophm as you're likely to get.

Of course your magical options will be limited as you won't get a lvl 4, but since Wood elves generally don't field big units anyway there's really the same sense of doom and dread when the enemy starts casting.

Spiney Norman
14-11-2013, 07:02
Can't run two normal Treemen at 2000, but one and the ancient is a solid enough option as it gives you as much combat oophm as you're likely to get.

Of course your magical options will be limited as you won't get a lvl 4, but since Wood elves generally don't field big units anyway there's really the same sense of doom and dread when the enemy starts casting.

That's not really the problem with leaving out the spell weaver. Most armies can cover magic with a couple of level 2s if you really want to bring a non-mage lord choice, but because spellsingers only have access to the lore of Athel Loren that's really not an option for woodies. The lore of Loren is so unutterably useless that it really is go big or go home for wood elf magic ATM, and the fact that even the best of our units are critically disadvantaged against other armies means we need the magical buffs that life and beasts can give us to compete.

If our spellsingers could take life of beasts I would say yes, but treeman ancients are for larger games IMHO.

orionwoodking
15-11-2013, 05:46
I have found that if used properly the treemen can become retard magnets if you put them both together toward one side of the battle line. They can soak up a very fair amount of damage and if you put them near a forest your enemy can get a very large number of bound D6S5 hits during the magic phase.
The magic issue is real, but a level two, or even a L1 branchwraith with a cluster of radiants (if you want more forest spirits) can give that little boost that you might need

WizzyWarlock
22-11-2013, 17:29
I'm starting to come to the decision that Wood Elves can't do without their Level 4. If they had more lore options with their level 2's it would be more doable, but without it I find you either need the boosts that come from Lore of Beasts or the mass death and regrowth that come from Lore of Life, over the hitting power of a lone Treeman Ancient. You're basically giving up +1S/T on any unit, -1 to hit on any enemy unit, the choice to turn into a Greater Fire Dragon which puts the Ancient to shame, plus all the other bonuses. If you can get a Level 4 AND an Ancient then great, otherwise for me it's a Level 4 every time.

SteveW
22-11-2013, 20:12
If you don't go level 4 you can do flying circus with multiple eagle nobles to take out the enemy warmachines.

Von Wibble
24-11-2013, 09:54
That's not really the problem with leaving out the spell weaver. Most armies can cover magic with a couple of level 2s if you really want to bring a non-mage lord choice, but because spellsingers only have access to the lore of Athel Loren that's really not an option for woodies. The lore of Loren is so unutterably useless that it really is go big or go home for wood elf magic ATM, and the fact that even the best of our units are critically disadvantaged against other armies means we need the magical buffs that life and beasts can give us to compete.

If our spellsingers could take life of beasts I would say yes, but treeman ancients are for larger games IMHO.

Exactly this.