PDA

View Full Version : Just started Woodies! What to get next?

Yamabushi
14-11-2013, 06:15
So, I have finally given in to temptation and started Wood Elves!

Bought myself two battalions, and now I do not know what to get next. A Highborn and a Spellweaver seem to be the next logical choice.

But what else? While I do love the unit entry of Treekin, the models turn me off (same for the Treeman), same for Wardancers.

Spiney Norman
14-11-2013, 06:50
So, I have finally given in to temptation and started Wood Elves!

Bought myself two battalions, and now I do not know what to get next. A Highborn and a Spellweaver seem to be the next logical choice.

But what else? While I do love the unit entry of Treekin, the models turn me off (same for the Treeman), same for Wardancers.

Treekin are good, Wardancers not so much, I sympathise about the treekin models, they are horrible. I use Raging heroes tree warriors instead http://www.ragingheroes.com/products/the-tree-warriors.

The sad thing about wood elves is that about 2/3 of their units are are just plain awful. I would recommend that you get some eagles for your rare section (the plastic eagles from the Hobbit range are brilliant), but most of the rest of the really good stuff is in core (glade guard and dryads). The treeman is a strong choice as well, just be aware that there is almost certainly a new plastic model for the treeman on the horizon (expected in about 6 months).

Ero-Senin
14-11-2013, 15:45
Would disagree about treekin, personally would consider them the worst MI in the game. Treeman is awesome and personally I like wardancers (they're not very good but I am very fond of them from when they won games in 5th edition +) Agree with Spiney Norman that the raging heroes models are much better for treekin but they are pricey.

So in short I would say Treeman, eagles and more glade guard and dryads

dutchwarlord
14-11-2013, 16:28
Treekin are not bad, they have t5 s5 and a 4+5++ save. They are the only unit in the wood elf army that can fight enemy hordes in combat alone. Wardancers are not bad either. I usually use a small unit of them and they do a lot of damage. You will usually have to make a flank charge with them to decrease the amount of enemy attacks against them. They are very manouvrable, so with some good positioning they will work.

Wild riders and eagles are pretty good too. And you will need lots of glade guards. Treeman are awesome too, especially if you use two of them.

For the miniatures, I bought two classic Treeman of ebay (I especially like Durthu) and use classic dryads on 40 mm bases as Treekin.

Don Zeko
14-11-2013, 17:41
You might want to wait and see what happens when the new book comes out in May.

MOMUS
14-11-2013, 18:32
ATM wood elf nobles on eagles are a nice choice

orionwoodking
15-11-2013, 05:32
I like the LOTR Ent model, I use it instead of the current treeman model, plus it only costs Au$55
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1500452a

Yamabushi
15-11-2013, 06:38
Thanks for the answers all!

I am aware that rumors point to WE being released next year May. Just feel that now is an opportunity to paint up that excellent looking core and character models...before GW increases the price. Its inevitable. I am not going to pay 20 pounds for 10 Glade Guard. XD

@orionwoodking - hows the scale like? I do not own any LOTR models...

orionwoodking
15-11-2013, 08:29
@Yamabushi - There are no scale problems with this model, it fits perfectly onto the 50mm Monster base

Evil Hypnotist
15-11-2013, 09:02
I found this post on Asrai.org very useful:

http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25574

Yamabushi
15-11-2013, 09:19
That was immensely helpful! Thanks a lot!

CauCaSus
18-11-2013, 09:59
Build your own treeman! There is a thread on asrai.org about that as well.

Poseidal
18-11-2013, 10:22
The LoTR Treebeard sans-Hobbits on a 50mm base makes a nice Treeman Ancient IMO. I use it along with the LoTR Ent as I didn't care for the Warhammer Treeman model that much.