PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point competitive Lizardmen (first list so bear with me!)

Carpathea
15-11-2013, 20:45
Hey all, this is my first try at 2K points. I know Slaan cant be loremaster of life anymore but i feel that with 4 spells from the lore of life still seems to provide enough utility.
Lords
Slaan Mage Priest, Lore of life, channelling staff, harmonic convergence, BSB (standard of discipline)- 385

Heroes
Skink priest level 1, dispell scroll, ancient stegadon, engine of the gods, lore of beasts- 370

Core
21 saurus warriors, spawn leader, musician, standard bearer - 261

Special
28 Temple Guard, musician, standard bearer - 412
Bastiladon, solar engine - 150

Rare
Salamander hunting pack - 80

Total 1999

thoughts would be awesome :)

Kayosiv
16-11-2013, 03:34
I see you've put a skink priest on a stegadon. This is a mistake in all situations. Put the stegadon in rare and keep the priest next to saurus. This will grant him a 4+ look out sir which is better than the +1 armor save he would have gotten while preventing the stegagdon from getting into combat without him dying.

That's a pretty dang big block of temple guard. I run 26 in my 2500 point list. With lore of life's ability to increase their durability and also resurrect them, you likely don't need a unit quite that big. Always bring a champion too. You don't want your slann getting stuck in challenges, and you should be taking advantage of their ability to take a magic banner too. Even +1 movement, +1 leadership, or magic resistance 1 are nice and cheap and should pay for themselves in a game many times over.

Your severe lack of skink shooting worries me. With no real re-directors or chaff you might find it difficult to get the match-ups you want with your saurus blocks.

Carpathea
16-11-2013, 10:23
Very nice points, Ill address each one separately.
1. Skink on a steggy:- thats totally fine about the look out sir id never considered that, and i know i was probably missusing the stegadon anyway, i might even drop him, from what i read he seems like a massive waste of 280 points :/
2. Large amounts of temple guard:- i will go down to 20 tg saving 112 points for skinks?
3. I was worried that a big block of skinks would just get eaten and not really do the work for the points? It seems really hard to get any use out of them before they get charged and murdered?

Carpathea
16-11-2013, 16:14
updated the list to look like this:
Lords
Slaan Mage Priest, Lore of life, channelling staff, harmonic convergence, BSB (standard of discipline)- 385

Heroes
Skink priest level 1, dispell scroll, lore of beasts- 90

Core

22 skink cohort, skink brave, musician, standard bearer, poison attacks - 184
22 skink cohort, skink brave, musician, standard bearer, poison attacks - 184

Special
20 Temple Guard, revered guardian, musician, standard bearer(lichborne pennant) - 325

Rare

feels better imo, but as always criticisms advice etc helps a lot :)

Kayosiv
17-11-2013, 01:59
Ah, I see your problem now. You're trying to fight things with skinks. This is a mistake in all situations. :)

The role of skinks are as follows.
1) Shoot stuff
2) Get in your opponent's way
3) Run away from things to set up counter charges
4) Die so more important things don't have to
5) fight REALLY weak things, the kind of stuff that your saurus doesn't want to bother with.

Skinks will almost always do better at range than in close combat, so you neither need big blocks of them or to bother giving them poison. If you were going to give skinks poison for their pathetic 10 attacks you might as well buy a kroxigar to give the unit fear and +1 leadership as well as a bit of hitting power that won't be turned away by armor.

A unit of 22 skinks, even with poison, will be crushed by just about everything in existence that is ranked and many things besides. Take those 368 points of skinks and delete them. Add 2 units of skirmishers, 10 large, no command. Use the remaining 200 points as you see fit.

MOMUS
17-11-2013, 15:34
Skirmishers are great but don't forget the humble cohort perfectly viable in units of 10-20 as speed bumps.

Just on the note of the old skinks, nice little trick wildfo them (opponent will always let this through) then zap them into the enemies face with WbW shoot and stand and shoot at S4 javs before the opponent has even moved

Carpathea
17-11-2013, 16:40
Dudes you're being so helpful thanks a million, taking both into consideration i quite like the option of 60 shots from this list

Lords

Heroes
Skink priest level 1, dispell scroll, lore of beasts- 90

Core

10 skink skirmishers - 70

Special
20 Temple Guard, revered guardian, musician, standard bearer(lichborne pennant) - 325

Rare

how does that look? I love the bastiladon model, is 2 overkil not sure what to do with the 152 points left
also are chameleon skins worth it? Because with the 300 odd points spare i could have a unit of 20 and scout in and start shooting real early?

MOMUS
17-11-2013, 17:41
Chameleons are fantastic.
Small units of chameleon skinks work best, dunno how many points you got spare but I would rather have 2X5 chameleon skinks than 1 bastiladon.

Kayosiv
17-11-2013, 19:59
With 2 wizards, having a lot of bastilladons are a waste. Lose 1 unit of skirmishers and the bastiladon and replace with an ancient stegadon. You'll get just as much shooting from the blowpipe machine guns on top and a mosnter that can actually hurt things. With that, your list is looking very solid.

Carpathea
17-11-2013, 23:27
With 2 wizards, having a lot of bastilladons are a waste. Lose 1 unit of skirmishers and the bastiladon and replace with an ancient stegadon. You'll get just as much shooting from the blowpipe machine guns on top and a mosnter that can actually hurt things. With that, your list is looking very solid.
i cant im 2 points short of a flat ancient steggy with no upgrades, if i lose skirmishers and bass im at 228 :p

Kayosiv
18-11-2013, 02:10
Lose another set of skirmishers and replace with 5 chameleon skinks

Carpathea
18-11-2013, 11:17
Lose another set of skirmishers and replace with 5 chameleon skinks
Right now this may seem stupid but here goes, what if i lose 2 saurus warriors and with the 22 points get an ancient steggy with either unstoppable stampede or sharpened horns?
I know i lose the 7x3 unit of saurus warriors, but is a 5x4 so bad? It means i keep 2 units of 10 skirmishers and have the steggy with 1 upgrade?

Kayosiv
18-11-2013, 15:56
No that's fine. I run my saurus 6 wide. There's an argument to be made for 5, 6, or 7 based on preference.

Carpathea
18-11-2013, 17:27
No that's fine. I run my saurus 6 wide. There's an argument to be made for 5, 6, or 7 based on preference.
awesome then that is how it shall be.
Thanks to everyone who chipped in and helped me write the list. Awesome help you guys are awesome
Tom
:)

Kayosiv
18-11-2013, 23:48
You ever need help feel free to PM me.