PDA

View Full Version : Did they just jack up the price of every audio book download by 3-5 quid

budman
16-11-2013, 19:54
Yes yes they did
20 or 22 from to 25 quid :eyebrows:

my 6 book wish list has gone up almost 30 quid overnight
(bear in mind it 6 quid a book on audable

now They can charge what they like I know that but we live in the age of the steam sale and humble bunlde and download prices going up is crazy is the price of transferring data going up or getting rare these days...

shadowhawk2008
16-11-2013, 21:39
Should we be surprised? Not really.
Should we be concerned? Hell yes.

BL pricing is starting to go the way of GW pricing.

DarkChaplain
16-11-2013, 22:45
From 24€ to 32.50€, yep.

Remember the more expensive retail releases of Prospero Burns and A Thousand Sons they released years later, and the Vulkan Lives retail release now? 35€ vs 24€ for digital didn't match up.
Instead of finding the problem - a significantly higher price for an irregular, late release of an already existing product, which was then dropped for another dozen releases - they simply raised the digital prices to match up.

Funny how even Sigmar's 3rd, God King, got pushed up - and that is the one Fantasy audiobook we got, and it was sent out to die, never even seeing the 1st and 2nd installment. An unsupported product line, jacked up like that...

And yeah, fair point. An unabridged audiobook of 12 hours is 10€ on Audible with the 10€ subscription, which nets you another completely free. You can return them if things go awry and even without the subscription the audiobooks will still be cheaper than pre-raise BL ones. The only positive on BL's end is that they don't use Audible's ****** DRM.

I wonder how much BL's audiobook sales would increase, and in turn how much profit they'd make, if they pulled their heads out of their butts and offered their audios via Audible like pretty much everybody else...

budman
17-11-2013, 18:36
I wonder how much BL's audiobook sales would increase, and in turn how much profit they'd make, if they pulled their heads out of their butts and offered their audios via Audible like pretty much everybody else...

I have an audible subscription and I would get every last one of them....

Mark

budman
26-11-2013, 08:56
So after a back and forth with them at BL by email it came out that the price has gone up to bring them into line with all the new audio books they are putting but they are going to put them on other seller but not audable.
also they are not adding anything

DarkWarrior1981
26-11-2013, 11:20
also they are not adding anything

What exactly do you mean with this?!

Anakwanar
27-11-2013, 09:59
Will you not buy audio book, with AL fighting SW tooth and nails in HH, because it costs 25 GBP? Yes - you will. And many others too. So, BL will be rising prices till the moment - THEN YOU WILL STOP BUYING STUFF!

budman
27-11-2013, 14:47
Will you not buy audio book, with AL fighting SW tooth and nails in HH, because it costs 25 GBP? Yes - you will. And many others too. So, BL will be rising prices till the moment - THEN YOU WILL STOP BUYING STUFF!

No I will not they have cross the line in my mind from costly diversion to Over the top costly diversion

here the the back and forth with the very nice stuart.

Dear Sirs

This is the first time I have ever written an email like this and I would like to question the rise in prices of your audio book downloads I had a number of them on my wish list and was just set to buy two (betrayer and fear to tread) and every last one has gone up in price 15% to 25% or 3-5 per book.
I understand fully it's your company and you may do with it as you will but I would like to understand why the rise in download price when the whole rest of the market has cut down the prices (steam sales etc.)

the cost of Data has not jumped up in price

For 75 I can down load 3 books from you or for 70 I can get 12 books from audible and have change for a pint.

So why the price rise?

Thankyou for your time in reading this.

Kind regards

Hi Mark,
Thank you for your email, I am sorry to hear of your disappointment. The price of our audio books reflects the quality of the product we provide, as we source the best possible actors for the roles to bring our stories to life, as well as add extra content to these products such as the audio scripts, maps and cover images to immerse the listeners in the story. I hope this explanation addresses your concern. and please feel free to contact me with any other question you may have.

Many thanks,

Stuart

Dear Stuart
Thank you for your response and I can understand a price rise for future books as there had been between the first and second set of Novels. It's not disappointment as it is so much as confusion as how gw is going one way and the whole other market is running the other way.

so what has been added to the six audiobooks below to justify a 25% price rise
Outcast Dead, The (unabridged audiobook)
Know No Fear (unabridged audiobook)
Fear to Tread (Unabridged audiobook)
Angel Exterminatus Unabridged Audiobook (MP3)
Betrayer (Unabridged Audiobook Mp3)
Mark of Calth (Unabridged Audiobook)
Do they get the scripts, and maps ect?
The actors were paid up to two year ago in some cases. so that's not an issue.
There is no warehouse costs as an mp3 product
So please let me know why the price has gone up on old product when It's data and rarity is not an issue.?
Are you looking at putting your books and shorts on audible or audio go to get them out to am many listeners as possible and grow the brand?
Kind regards
Mark

Hi Mark,
Thank you for your reply. We are currently not looking to update the content of the titles you have included, the price increase of these titles were to bring them in line with the newer products. Having said this though we may go back and add the extra content at some point in the future. As for Audible do not have any current plans to put them on sale via this means, but we are currently looking into other outlets to sell our mp3 downloads.
Many thanks,

Stuart

Dear Stuart
Thanks for letting me know.

Kind regards
Mark

duffybear1988
29-11-2013, 10:07
Basically they sent a giant F U. I can't say I'm surprised as GW seem to think they are selling 'premium everything' these days. My advice is either hunt around on ebay for second hand copies, or go elsewhere and read/listen to some other fiction.

Also try your local library - I have slowly been encouraging the stock librarian here to order in some BL stuff. In fact I would encourage everyone to visit their local library and try and get BL books from them. It's very easy (and cheap) to place requests on books and if the issue figures go up then the librarians do take note and will order in more and newer titles. With GW price hikes seeming to never end this looks like the logical step. Support your local library (my job depends upon it :)).

Tymell
07-12-2013, 14:09
Basically they sent a giant F U. I can't say I'm surprised as GW seem to think they are selling 'premium everything' these days. My advice is either hunt around on ebay for second hand copies, or go elsewhere and read/listen to some other fiction.

Also try your local library - I have slowly been encouraging the stock librarian here to order in some BL stuff. In fact I would encourage everyone to visit their local library and try and get BL books from them. It's very easy (and cheap) to place requests on books and if the issue figures go up then the librarians do take note and will order in more and newer titles. With GW price hikes seeming to never end this looks like the logical step. Support your local library (my job depends upon it :)).

Pretty much, and good advice.

The 'logic' given in the email exchange above makes no sense: if new books have new or higher quality content and they believe that justifies a higher price, then fine. But that doesn't explain jacking up the prices of existing and totally unchanged books.

"Bringing them in line" is pure nonsense - If newer books have better or extra content, then prices -shouldn't- be in line, to represent the fact that they're the better (or just newer) products. If you release a new video game with lots more content than the last one in the series, you don't suddenly ramp up the price of the old game to "bring it in line".

Mage
08-12-2013, 20:26
I wouldn't say it was a giant 'F U', they are probably the reasons amongst others they did jack the price up. While I might not agree with it, with the exception of paying the Voice actors, who I would not mind getting more money, they did take the time to answer you without a generic or pregenerated answer, you can't fault them for that.

nosebiter
08-12-2013, 20:43
I lol'ed.

"It is for you, the consumers, sake that we raise the prices of old items to match then new ones. To avoid confusion"

If there ever was a bigger /facedesk moment....

M'ichal
09-12-2013, 19:49
well, comparison to steam sales is not really the best :)

Their response, while not terrible, is also not the best. Seems like they raised it cause they could. Even inflation doesn't justify 3-4 pounds. Bear in mind that this is still somewhat of a niche market - prices will be higher than mainstream stuff. The book prices are still reasonable, fortunately.