PDA

View Full Version : Memorable moments (VERY long post)

Scaryscarymushroom
20-11-2013, 06:00
I invite everyone to reminisce about some of their most memorable moments with 40k, but the invitation comes with a caveat: you need to put up with me telling you my 40k life story. ;)

Starting out
It all started for me when I was at my father's house. I lived with my mother. When my parents split up my dad took a job back home - to be nearer to us kids. My dad is sort of eccentric. After a fraternity near the local university was shut down for partying too hard, he bought their old house. It came with a biiiiiig table. The thing was a monster - exactly 4 feet wide, and about 20 feet long. (To feed an army of college students). I think I was 15, I was in 10th grade. I had a huge project due for my AP geography class, so I set up a space for myself at the end of the really long table.

My friends liked coming over to his house when I was around, because the house was so weird, and so big you could get lost in it. That weekend, my friends brought some models over. One (I'll call him John), was really eager to show the other (I'll call him David) how to play. John knew all the rules pretty well, I'm not sure how many games he had played before. But it was David's first game. David had exactly 11 models - ten PAGKs, and a Brother captain HQ. John had something like 40, and one of them was really big - he played tyranids.

I was a little distracted, but after I finished my homework I watched them finish their game, and I was transfixed. John showed me the rulebook. I knew I wanted in, but I had no idea what army to pick. After a long, tortured hour, one of them jokingly suggested, "Hey, you should pick the girly army." I took them seriously, and before the end of the week I had placed an order to GW for a rulebook, three or four different sister superiors, 2 of every Sister of Battle trooper sculpt available, 2 Heavy flamers, 2 Heavy Bolters, 2 Multi-Meltas, 2 flamers, and 2 meltaguns, a Canoness, 2 of each basic Seraphim sculpt, 1 seraphim commander, 3 seraphim with hand flamers (I had no idea what I was doing). I had to convince my dad to pay for it - it was more than $300.

When I got my stuff, GW had mispacked/mislabeled a few of their blisters. John noticed it before I did. "That's not a heavy flamer, it's a heavy bolter." he said. So I looked at the ones labeled "heavy bolter" and sure enough, they had the same gun. So I called GW and explained the problem. They said they would ship 2 heavy flamers to me.

I took the box of stuff over to John's house, and I started putting my models together. He told me about squads, but we didn't play.

Fixing Problems
GW sent me 2 more mislabeled heavy bolters. And I called them again. Somewhere around this time, I went over to David's house and John and I played together on David's carpet. I used the army list in the back of the 3rd edition core rulebook, and he used his Tyranid codex. I didn't really know about restrictions or point values or anything, we just set up all our models on the floor, in squad shapes, and that's how I started playing my first game. I found out later that I was breaking a few rules. I had included all three of my hand-flamer Seraphim in a single squad. There was terrain, and John had a Lictor. He was really excited to use it, but after he revealed it, my Seraphim flew right up to the edge of the forest and cooked it. David was watching, and when John went to make some 2+ cover saves, David pointed out that flamers ignore cover saves. John got really bitter about it, but he removed his model anyway.

I played in a 2v2 against David and another guy (Ash) next. Ash routed one of my squads, and when I tried to have them regroup, an argument started. We called the rules boys, and I was dumbstruck by what they said. It just seemed really stupid to me that half a squad would become completely useless for the whole game, and I told him so. I mean, that half a squad was like 1/4 of my army. Totally wasted potential. (Later morale would become my favorite aspect of the game.) We might have played until 4:00 or 5:00 am, figuring out the rules as we went along. Ash continually insisted that his Dark Eldar had a special rule that let their player take his opponent's models, grab an exacto blade, and chop off their heads. The rule was called "Trophy hunter" or something like that. (It was really about victory points, but whatever, none of us really understood. And Ash was nice enough not to "deface" my $300 model collection, even though he insisted that the game rules gave him the right to literally destroy my models.)

Eventually either David or John took me to the Local Game Store. The staffer (I'll call him Rockwell) asked "what army do you play?" and when I told him, he said, "You sir, are a brave man." "Why?" I asked. Apparently there were rumors going around that Sisters of Battle were not ever going to be updated - that they would be dropped from the game. I asked him if they had a codex, he said "sort of." He told me about white dwarf, and that the Sisters of Battle list was in the white dwarf. "Your codex is in a magazine that you can't buy anymore. But, you can probably find a copy of it online." I bought his remaining stock of Sisters of Battle (two boxes of six models each), which gave me enough to field most of my models legally. When I got home, I hopped online. Sure enough, GW had about 15 pages of rules up, free for download.

GW sent me two more mislabeled heavy bolters. David and John were both upset at this point - they had been paying good money to grow their model collection, and I was getting some expensive stuff for free. Worse, heavy bolters turned out to be my best weapon against both Tyranids and Grey Knights. I now had eight of them, and I had only paid for two. "HERE'S YOUR HEAVY FLAMER! :mad:" *burns something* became a running joke.

Growing the group
Once my younger cousin saw people playing, he decided to get in on the action. He went to the LGS, surveyed his options and talked his mom into getting him a Necron battleforce, a Monolith, a Nightbringer, and a codex, all at once! He got an old-school Necron Lord from eBay, later. It had a 2" tall display base made of skulls, and it was the only thing in his army that was ever painted, but not by him.

I spent weekdays at my mother's house, in the next town over. I'd paint my models and chop up cardboard and cereal boxes. I even made my own rules for an RPG with a level-up system related to point values. I'd set up proxy games against myself, using canned food as a hive tyrant, just to test out the rules or see how many termagants I could fit under a heavy flamer's template, when they finally arrived. I was obsessed. And I told my high school buddies about the game. One of them (I'll call him Greenthumb), came with me into town one weekend, and we visited the LGS. Rockwell gave him a discount on a Tau battleforce (free codex). Greenthumb didn't have a lot of money. $90 all at once was hard for him to swallow. And then, when he opened his box, he decided that he didn't like the Kroot. He experimented with the bits, mostly ruining his other models. Over time, he built up a decent sized tau force that had no Kroot in it. We played a little bit, but his favorite opponent was David, because Grey Knights had an interesting rule that interacted well with Greenthumb's 72" range weapons.

Greenthumb told Philip, and Philip told a few other people, and soon the word got around my high school that the three of us played Warhammer. We connected with another group, and the 40k community at my school sort of lit up. I'd gone from 4 regular opponents in a town an hour away from me, with no car, to 11 possible opponents. We had John (Tyranids), David (Daemonhunters), myself (Sisters), my cousin (Necrons), Philip (CSM, Khorne), Greenthumb (Tau), Ash (Dark Eldar), my good friend Doug (CSM), and about 5 others. We'd ask our professors if they had any extra packing supplies from their new projectors or computers, and they'd give us their styrofoam.

New Codex
At some point, Codex: Witch Hunters came out, and I started playing like crazy. It annoyed David, because it made his Daemonhunters less unique. I stole his inquisitors, his assassins, even his beloved Lance Strike - A S10 AP1 large blast that fell from the sky every turn. I was perfectly fine with having access to inquisition stuff, but I decided not to ever use it, for two reasons. First, I liked my SoB just fine. And Second, I respected that David was sort of there first, with the inquisition thing. I stuck to SoB to keep the meta more diverse.

John would play against me, but I'd just set up all eight of my heavy bolters where they had good sight lines, and his Tyranids couldn't ever stand a chance. It would start out with him saying, "Oh, that's ok. I have lots more bugs where that came from. Tooku tooku tooku!" (Tooku was the sound that Tyranids made. :confused:) And then it would happen again and he'd get kind of somber. And then when the big guys came close enough to be a problem for me, I'd let loose with my faith points, and cause a whole bunch of AP1 wounds to his big guys: 4 or 5 wounds a turn to his Hive Tyrant or his Carnifex. And that's when he'd get upset and start asking loudly to see my codex, and he'd start looking for a period or a comma, or some way to interpret faith points in a way that favored him. Sometimes he'd find them, and I'd keep in mind that my codex didn't let me do this, or do that. But it never make a huge difference in our games. It came to the point once where he'd start shouting.

Uncle Lenny
David took me down south one time, to meet his Uncle Lenny. It wasn't really his uncle - David's mother was an only child but she always thought of Lenny as her brother. Uncle Lenny was an interesting guy - he was tall, he had thin, greasy white hair, and was probably about 400 lbs. His t-shirt was stained. He had tens of thousands of points of several different armies, and an absolute truck-full of Tyranids, which he liked most. His wife played Orks. His living room was an absolute nightmare - it was packed wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling with army cases and empty GW boxes that he'd saved. I considered the house unusable, but of course I didn't say anything. No sense in being rude.

I figured out that this was where David got about a third of his meager model collection. Uncle Lenny liked buying him Warhammer stuff. Then David would ask his estranged father for Warhammer stuff as birthday and Christmas gifts. David never had many models. His army was even more expensive (per model) than mine. My parents would pay me to do all kinds of crap - from mundane chores like shoveling snow, to things like helping them with home renovations for their rental properties, or doing stuff for their business office. I could blow $100 every few months, but David didn't have those sorts of opportunities. His family didn't have as much money as mine, and it was becoming clear from the amount of models we both had. I felt bad.

Anyway, we played a game with Uncle Lenny. He tried giving us army-list advice. He told me not to use Sisters of Battle, and that annoyed me. He kept trying to push these things on me called "Adeptus Arbites" which I had never heard before, until he pointed to a designer's note in my codex in the inquisitorial storm trooper's entry, saying that they could swap their hellguns for shotguns, free of charge. He let David take some imperial guard as a meat shield for his Grey Knights, and I just stuck with my SoB. Immediately, Uncle Lenny started thrashing us. I started to learn tactics. I learned about using close combat to block line of sight, and when to go around terrain versus when to go through it. Mostly Uncle Lenny seemed happy with the game. He got to use a barbed stranger on a carnifex to wipe out eight guardsmen at once, and that just seemed to make him giddy. David was confused: weren't these supposed to be a meat shield? They did nothing for him if they were dead. And then the Carnifex charged into combat, did some wounds, and caused the guard to take a morale test, at a -8 modifier or something like that. These were the things that made Uncle Lenny happy. He liked watching his opponents take leadership tests when the only way they could succeed was by rolling a 2 on 2d6. He liked completely decimating his opponents in a really casual manner. By about the third turn, it was clear we were going to lose. He had wiped David's forces out, so I started acting recklessly. I moved my Sisters of Battle closer to his Genestealers. And he laughed, telling me, "Those things are doomed! I can't believe you're doing that! Hahaha!"

Then I let the bolters rip, and I rolled better than I should have. I killed 3/4 of his squad. He shut up. And it was really satisfying.

But then I tried sizing up his attitude. He had the same look on his face as John. It was a bitter, grouchy face. Sort of scowling, and pale-faced, while he removed his models from the table. I liked Uncle Lenny, but I didn't know what to make of him. He was a lot like all my friends, but he was easily old enough to be my father. I didn't expect him to act like us.

After the game, I figured out why we came down. Uncle Lenny had borrowed one of David's models, and he had made a resin cast of it. He showed us the clear plastic grey knight. "What do you think, David? If you want some more, I can get them from a friend. He will charge me $5 for 10. You can have as many Grey Knights as you want, if you can pay for them." David took his original model back, and we both admired the clear resin cast. But David just said, "Nah, thanks. I'll just buy metal ones."

Just like a Grey Knights player. What he wanted was a small, quality collection. He wanted one that stood shoulders above the rest - the best of the best. The Imperium's finest. No second-rate fakes would do.

Fourth Edition
That summer, the 4th edition core rules came out. We went to Rockwell's shop for the release party. I had enough money to buy the rules, and so did John, but David had to save up for the book, and he bought it the next month. Rockwell prepared a quick cheat-sheet for all the rules changes, and we had a big casual-play day in the store. My sisters of battle mostly improved thanks to the new rapid-fire and combat resolution rules, but it made one of the unit combinations in my codex completely useless. But the combat resolution rules and the fearless rules meant that David's Grey Knights just got worse. No two ways about it. They were less mobile, and more vulnerable. And the wound allocation rules made his inquisition squads weaker too.

Except for Greenthumb, We were all pretty competitive. Every single one of us didn't know our rules very well - and we started getting to know our opponent's rules better than they knew them themselves. Lots of us started saying things like "I don't like playing with Andy. He knows the rules, but he has a tendency to only remember the ones that are good for him, and bad for you. It's unfair." Add to that the fact that a few of us were brats (myself included), and most of the games any of us ended up playing started out fun - and started out sounding like a good idea - but they pretty much turned into tense series of prolonged rules arguments. Games would last until 5am on a routine basis.

As I got to know other peoples' armies, I started having feelings of inferiority, and I felt like it just wasn't right. Why should Chaos Space Marines have Obliterators, and Bloodletters, and Defilers that can mince my army from six feet away? I didn't have a good answer to stuff like that. I couldn't even think of one. Philip would pass me little doodles in our physics class: pictures of a chibi defiler with a smiley face cannon killing sisters of battle by the droves. And Necrons, with their Monoliths, and their space marine equivalent statline that completely outclassed mine. I always struggled with monoliths because every anti-tank weapon in my army was neutered by its special rules.

My mother bought me a set of 96"x30" tables for my birthday, and we set them up in the basement for a gigantic 3v3 game on an 8'x10' playing surface. We had one time where my friend Andy took his Tau Devilfish transport and he did a tank shock. He reached one model that had a melta weapon and BS5. But I rolled a 1. A rules dispute popped up. Under 4th, if you stood and shot, and you failed to stop the tank, your model would die. Andy said that the entire squad was destroyed. We couldn't find the rules for it, but Andy insisted that the rule was in there, so we rolled a 4+ just to get on with the game, and I lost my entire squad. I hated that game. It made me very angry.

Philip and I played a game on an 8'x5' table later, and it was one of the better games of Warhammer I ever played. We were pretty evenly matched; and the game had a natural rhythm to it. He started out with the upper hand, then I won some ground, then he unleashed his bloodthirster and the tables turned again. He told me that his bloodthirster was Toughness 8, and he quickly made short work of every weapon in the army that could hurt a toughness 8 creature. But Daemonic instability eventually got the better of him. We ended the game on the end of turn seven, with his only model, a chaos dreadnought - weaponless and immobilized in the middle of the table - in base to base contact with the only surviving model in my army, a Sister Superior with meltabombs.

One time, someone suggested that we go participate in the Tanks-giving tournament at Rockwell's shop. The prizes were tanks for whatever army you played, or a Carnifex if you played tyranids. So we all went in and had an ok time playing games against strangers. I got an Immolator as an award for the best-painted army. I spent the rest of the day in the shop, putting it together. And then, when my aunt came to pick up me and my cousin, I dropped the thing down a flight of stairs onto a tile floor. Pieces went everywhere, but after about five minutes, I'd found them all again.

After the Orks codex came out, John sold his Tyranids and bought some Orks. They were more fun from a modeling perspective, and he figured they'd be pretty good on the table too. We played a game in David's kitchen one time, with his Orks. I can't remember exactly how the game went, but it was the same old story in the end. I shot down a few, he was ok with it, I shot down some more, he started to get bitter. But then his Orks gave him an ace up his sleeve. He had trukks, and his bikers got cover saves from all the exhaust they emitted. I tried using a faith point to make my guns AP1 on rolls of a 6, so I could shoot his trukk and score penetrating hits. He threw a tantrum. While he was raging, I checked my codex. And then I just flat out cheated. The special rule made all "rolls to wound of a 6 count as AP1." It was a vehicle, so there was no roll to wound. But I lied. "It's legit" I told him. Once he calmed down, we started playing again. And I won with a huge margin of victory.

And I caught a few people pulling the same shenanigans on me, but I let it slide, because arguing just wasn't worth it.

Scaryscarymushroom
20-11-2013, 06:00
My friend Doug had an interesting take on the whole game. He was a real neckbeard. He bought a Chaos Space Marine Codex and one box of troops. He tried painting the troops, and found out that he really hated modeling. But he liked the game and everyone was playing it, so his solution, if you want to call it that, was to buy a whole bunch of empty bases. I played a couple of games against him, and in each one, he completely demolished me. His nine empty medium bases were usually nine obliterators. But mostly, he just powergamed the crap out of everything and proxied to his heart's content. Empty bases could be anything in the book - no sense in actually spending hundreds of dollars when you can just spend $50 on bases and have several 2000 point armies.

Then we got to a couple of truly ambiguous issues. Philip had an army of Chaos Sorcerers. He'd get his entire army into close combat, and then turn whole squads into chaos spawn. He really liked hunting big game - he turned a nightbringer into a chaos spawn once. But he wanted to try it on Saint Celestine next: a model that comes back after it dies. I called the rules boys for clarification, and the first time, they said "Well, when it turns into a chaos spawn, it hasn't died yet - you need to kill the chaos spawn before it dies, and then you can roll for reserves to have her come back into play." But he didn't believe me, so I called them again while Philip was around, and they said "No. Turning into a chaos spawn corrupts her completely. She's removed from play, and you don't ever get to roll to bring her back again." And in a game against David, we found a contradiction in my codex: one of my acts of faith said, in the middle of the book, that I "gain an invulnerable save equal to my armor save." In the summary section, the same act of faith said my armor save "becomes" an invulnerable save. We decided to play it the "becomes" way, because it would be best for David - he had a few weapons that were AP2, and a few weapons that ignored invulnerable saves. So I had to choose between getting peppered with AP2 or peppered with 'no invuln. allowed' shots.

Then, around the time the 4th edition Chaos Space Marines came out, someone broke into philip's car, and stole all his chaos models. He bought some dark eldar models to replace them. By this time, he'd figured out the rules pretty well, and he kept powergaming in mind when he bought his list. He got a copy of Chapter Approved: 2004 (which I had never heard of before), and used the Wych cult rules. His new wyches were absolutely ruthless, and he started winning all of his games.

Winding Down
By the time I reached my final year of high school, a lot of things started happening. But 40k was still sort of at the forefront of my life in many ways. My aunt was preparing to move to Montana when she was killed in a tragic murder-suicide involving her boyfriend. My cousin left to live with his father in Los Angeles. It was the least of my worries at the time, but that's probably when our gaming group started falling apart. We all loved her. David, John, Philip, Doug and I went to her funeral in Montana. But in addition to that, with my cousin moving to L.A. we lost a Necron player.

I started buying up inquisitorial models for my Witch Hunters army, because I was looking for some more variation in my games. And, I bought some Space Marines to exploit the allies rules in the Daemonhunters and Witch Hunters codices. I figured I could field armies of all stripes and colors - imperial guard would give me access to autocannons, mortars, and lascannons, none of which SoB had. But my expansion plans got distracted when I bought battle for Maccrage. After Philip started dominating our local meta, people lost interested in playing. John started to realize that he hadn't ever really had an enjoyable game of Warhammer. I don't know what I was thinking, maybe I was compensating for our collapsing game group. But after buying Battle for Maccrage for the terrain and the space marines, I decided to build up a tyranid army too. I got some hundreds of dollars worth of bugs, and I made a really cool Hive Tyrant conversion with eight scything talons as legs.

David started getting jaded about the time that I finally started expanding into the non-sister of battle side of my army. His Grey Knights kept on losing games, and he didn't really like the inquisition, space marines, or imperial guard. He stopped playing. Philip started going to a new store and he met some new wargaming buddies. He went pretty regularly, but none of us ever went with him.

Somewhere in here, my Brother bought a couple boxes of Orks. He wanted a lot of help with them, and it wasn't really a good time for me. I was dealing with a lot of crap, and I was generally in a bad mood. So I laid into him like there was no tomorrow, giving him a whole lot of verbal abuse, telling him how stupid he was that he didn't know how to mix paints to get the color green. I regret treating him poorly. I was really awful to him and I have no excuse. He just sat there and cried silently, while he globbed a whole brushload of thick paint onto his models. Shortly after that, he tried cleaning up a metal model, and he sliced open his finger with an exacto blade. He really scared himself, and it must have hurt pretty bad. He didn't know what to do, so he ran all over the house looking for our parents. He got blood on almost every carpet in the house.

Right before we graduated from High School, I agreed to play a really unusual game with Andy. We'd play a 750 point game during our free period. Tau v. Sisters, in our school's library. I'd supply the terrain. We had to set up and play lightning-fast, because we only had 80 minutes. And it worked out really well. It was one of the best games I think I have ever played. We both took a real gamble - He was worried that I would take a penitent engine, and totally screw him up. I figured he'd plan for it and take a broadside battlesuit to shoot it down. If he took the broadside, I could ruin him with jump infantry. But in 750 points, we didn't have room in our lists to take both. So I took my jump infantry and he took his dedicated transport instead of a broadside. But it was all secret and the mystery and the gamble added a lot to the game.

Eventually I played another game against Philip and his Wyches - I list tailored like no-one's business. Using whatever models I had, I split up all my heavy bolters into as many small squads as our 1000 point game would allow. Rather than absolutely demolishing two of his four raiders in one turn, and then getting wiped off the table in the next turn by the remaining two, I could snipe the raiders down - only doing as much damage as absolutely necessary before moving on to the next target. It worked - I beat him. And his reaction was "Oh. OK. good game. Yeah, it's a game. I'm cool with losing." I was annoyed. Whenever he beat me, he'd be sure to rub my face in it. But now, he was being an adult! It was absolutely unfair. He denied me my gloating rights by being so passive.

Greenthumb moved to Vancouver to go to film school after graduation, so we lost a Tau player. John got engaged and followed his Fiancee to Oregon State University (they broke up a few years later). So we lost an Ork player, as if he wanted to play.

Philip kept on going to the new store until 5th edition came out. When it became clear that no one wanted to play, he got into Warmachine. He tried getting me into it, but I wasn't really interested. I already had a wargame, if I wanted one. The whole group just sort of petered out as we all went our separate ways.

Two years later
I had three entire bookshelves in my mother's basement filled to the brim with models. There were over 2000 points of sisters, about 1500 points of tyranids, and a motley assortment of space marines and inquisition models. I stayed up there for a week one time, and the models just sat on the shelf, staring at me. I decided to talk to David about Warhammer again. We talked about how the game went, and what happened with his army with the rules updates, and what bothered us about the game. By the end of the week, I decided to look on GW's website again, and I noticed that AoBR was only $75. I wanted a GW community, so I made an account on Warseer. I bought Black Reach, and I bought my younger brother a whole ton of Orks. I took the space marines, and he took the Orks, and we learned how to play 5th edition. My girlfriend tried very hard to understand the game. She asked me all sorts of questions, and then she came with me to the LGS one time. All on her own, without input from me or anyone else, she bought herself a box of Necrons. The shopkeeper gave her a big discount, no doubt because he thought she was cute.

After a while, David agreed to play another game against me, and I taught him some of the 5th edition rules. I played 4th edition tyranids against his 3rd edition daemonhunters with the 5th edition rules. And the game was completely unfair. He and his grey knights were completely outclassed by my zoanthropes and my endless horde of termagants (they had the sustained attack rule). After a particuarly devastating close combat in which David lost most of his models, he cracked. David was usually very patient. If he wasn't enjoying a game, he'd just power through it and get to the end. But not this time. "You know what? I'm done!" I wanted to say that I understood. But my body language made it painfully clear that I was disappointed that we couldn't have a game. It was another sort of affirmation that an era was over, and that 40k was, in fact, behind me. David saw my disappointment, and then his tone changed. He insisted that we finish the game. I immediately recognized that Warhammer could be a sour experience, so I became determined to make it a positive experience for my brother, who I had recently bought an army for.

One of the things that bothered David and I were our win/loss ratios, which we felt had nothing to do with us as players, and more to do with game imbalance. Anyway, I was determined to build up a few opponents for Warhammer games, ones that would stick around for ages, so I could continue to play with my close friends for years to come. To this end, I went on a secret mission, to purposely lose my games. If people won, or if people knew that they had the upper hand, they would be more likely to play against me later. It would be a win-win thing, they'd be happy to win, and I'd be happy to play.

In other words, I manipulated a lot of the people I cared about most.

Greenthumb came back from Vancouver, and I tried to get him to play with me. We had a game, and then he gave me his entire army, with instructions to give it to my brother. So my brother inherited a tau army.

With my girlfriend's help, I threw my brother a 40k themed birthday party. Each person would get one space marine, that they could speed-build any way they wanted, and then speed-paint with whatever color scheme they wanted. And then there would be an anonymous voting round, and first place would take a space marine that I had painted gold. Second would take a space marine that I had painted silver, and Third would take a space marine that I had painted bronze. Then we played a game against my Girlfriend's necrons using the "Movie Marines" army list, and everyone got to control their own space marine, RPG style. And he had a cake, that had two layers on one side, one layer in the middle, three layers on the other side and four layers on one corner. The whole thing had been covered in fondant, decorating chocolates, frostings, etc. We made trees, rocks, hills, and his cake was a bonafide diorama with the gold, silver, and bronze armored space marines surrounded on all sides by slugga boys. That party was a blast.

I started chasing ghosts. I bought up a handful of chaos models, and a whole slew of old 3rd edition and 4th edition codices. I was trying to preserve the Warhammer I knew and loved - all of it that I could. I bought diaz-nettes, I bought more SoB, and I bought space marines. My Girlfriend started buying her own Necrons, until she had about 1500 points. True to my plans, my brother had happily started buying his own models. Philip gave his Dark Eldar to his younger brother, who was the same age as my younger brother. People at my brother's high school started getting into Warhammer 40k, and then I had a solid player base again. I could choose opponents among grey knights, orks, necrons, dark eldar, space marines, and space wolves. I had a healthy player base again, and I made it myself. I found a local store - a hole-in-the-wall - that offered 20% off on GW, and would treat it like a web-sale with free shipping to an out-of-state address. (In the US, if you do websales to another state, the buyer doesn't have to pay taxes.) Illegal? Almost certainly. But I wasn't sure on who's part. I didn't ask for that treatment, they just gave it to me. Were they committing tax fraud or was I? Either way, I was grateful to these guys, because they provided a community and a gaming table. I got in a whole bunch of good games at that store, and I gave them all my patronage for quite a while.

In addition to all the recapturing I was doing, I also laid my hands on a handful of forge world goodies and made some really bomb Inquisition stuff - vehicles mostly. I got an IG valkyrie to transport my Inquisitor in using the rules from IA:2. I got some forge world rhino doors etc.

When she started learning to play, my Girlfriend tried playing against David. This put me in a weird position. She relied on me for tactical advice for the entire game, and David was getting kinda short. "Who am I playing against, you or her?" David has been one of my best friends for years, and I didn't want him to have another game like the one we had played with my Tyranids. But my Girlfriend is hyper-competitive, and she's very open about only liking games that she wins. I guided their game to a tie result, and then David very proudly proclaimed a "minor victory" based on victory points - which 5th edition didn't use. Still, I didn't bother correcting him. It was one of the only games he'd "won" in six years. Based on it being a pleasant experience, I figured Warhammer might interest him again. So whenever we met up at the University, I'd talk his ear off. I'd talk and he'd just listen, and chuckle a little bit here and there, and say "uh huh, ok..." in that way that people do when they're not interested and they have nothing to say, but they want to be polite. After about a week of this, I just bit the bullet and accepted it: he was patiently entertaining me. Every game of Warhammer we played in the past year (and there had been a few) had nothing to do with what he wanted. Win or lose, I was twisting his arm into playing. So we had that conversation. "Every time we play warhammer, I'm just twisting your arm aren't I?" "Yeah, sort of..."

So I stopped talking to him about it.

Then the new Necrons codex came out. We started buying up some more stuff, but my Girlfriend quickly decided that it was too much effort to learn all the rules - again - and we put all the Necron models in a box, in storage.

And then I started to notice the prices going up. Land Raiders cost $66, and were about to go up to $74 when I decided to make my last, capstone purchase: a land raider that I could put Inquisition doors on, and magnets so I could make it a redeemer/crusader whenever it took my fancy. That model is still in a box, waiting to be assembled.

I started being introduced to other, new ideas, mostly through Warseer. I found Avatars of War, and the Sci-fi/Fantasy general forum, and I started trading some of my stuff. Initially I hated the idea of Warmachine, because of MKi's Page 5 rules. I thought it was a testosterone-frenzied ultra-competitive game for insensitive dickwads. But I eventually traded some Black Templars for an old Warmachine starter kit. I played a few games, giving it an honest chance.

And I started to like it. I started playing Warmachine and Malifaux with Philip, and my younger brother. And I tried teaching the rules to my Girlfriend. But when we started playing Warmachine, I made a little mistake. I made a move that was so stupidly designed to expose myself and let her win, that she questioned me after the game. And I told her that I let her win. And she made a few guesses and I admitted to letting her win all our Warhammer games too. And she told me I had been a total ******* to lead her on like that.

And so for a huge collection of reasons, 40k sort of died for me.

But every once and a while I get on these forums and I see people say things and it takes me back. I've never been able to let it rest. With all the ups and downs, with all the anger and frustration, 40k was a hugely influential part of my life. My attachment to it drove me to do some questionable things.

Sorry everybody. I just really needed to get that off my chest. These stories have been looking for a way out for quite a while now.

How about all of you? What are some of your most memorable moments with 40k?

brightblade
20-11-2013, 08:55
Just wanted to say what an interesting read I found that.

All rings true. The great moments I have had are many and usually narrative. Rolling nothing but sixes to wreck a land raider with a haywire grenade in a tournament which resulted in kantor alone on a hill surrounded by my Eldar army. I refused to play the last turn. It was cooler left as it was.

Sacrificing my Eldrad (who I had never lost in a game) to guarantee a win and thus win best Eldar player at a throne of skulls was another.

Having my Avatar hold off two daemon princes and a blood thirster in cc, slaying them with the aid of a death company dread in the last turn and rolling a 6 to consolidate onto an objective thus winning a very close 40000 point apoc game. Another.

Finally getting slow and purposeful on dark reapers

It goes on.

What makes me sad is how the game has changed. Little moments are lost now ( like tears in the rain ;) ) as the game has shifted to powergaming consumerism. Everything changes but there will always be a game out there for fluffyist players. Still love 40k and the dream of what it can be as a gaming experience. How can I not?

(Sorry about the blade runner hijack!)

budman
20-11-2013, 08:56
The bending Shell of the warp
So a Chaos vindicator behind cover can only see one unit ofscouts so I take a pot shot at them it misses massively max range miss and hitthe Marine termy squad and Chapter master behind a building that there is noway it should have hit
It does
boom all gone

Never Fly off the table
a 750 Point tony my Wingedhive tyrant is up against marines in the final and I am one vp up
I fly my Winged hive tyrant off the table at the end of turnfor him to come back from ongoing reserves
And the game ends lost the warlord and kill point and thegame

They will not die
Zombies of Typhus VSspace wolfs
space wolfs turn one drop pod on the Typhus back line and shoot the hell out of everythingand wipe all but one unit of Zombies and Typhus for four turns the zombies justwill not die and make every save or feel no pain they can long fang targetsthem and lascanons hit them and roll a one to wound plasma blows up.
I have not used Typhus since I may have burned out his mojo

mpepperdine
20-11-2013, 10:04
Some of my best memories were 5 or 6 years ago as a kid. It was around the end of 4th ed. and I played really small pointed games against a close friend, making up scenarios as we went along.

Because we hardly had any money of our own back then, each new unit we brought to the table was a really big deal. I remember how incredibly a broodlord or assault marine squad seemed back then.

Although I still love the game, it seems like I'm playing a strategy game now, rather than a cinematic game, which I'm still undecided if I like or not.

I think the main thing that's killed the enjoyment of the game for me, is the way I have enough money to buy my own models. Means I can put together an army quickly, instead of unit-by-unit, so I get less attached to the squads :(

Still, the people I play with are still great friends, so there's no problem on that front

SpanielBear
20-11-2013, 11:19
Flukey moment- I had a single ratling left out of a unit of five. Pinned down on the top floor of a ruin, forced to go to ground to avoid the shots of a bastion, sergeant harker and an auto-cannon all pouring on him. Meanwhile a squadron of Vendettas were tearing up behind my lines. This ratling makes a single snap shot, hits one of the vendettas in the rear. Then rolls a 6 for armour penetration, making him rending. Finally, his rending roll was another six. He shot the vendetta out of the air, without even breaking cover. Still lost the battle but, damn! This was the same game my general decided that, contrary to my thoughts and fluff, her name was actually River Tam and she beat. Up. Everybody. Then shot Marbo in the face. With a plasma pistol.

Konovalev
20-11-2013, 17:13
My most memorable 40k moment would have to be an apocalypse level game back in 3ED before apocalypse rules were out.

I was running a Forge World Armoured Company list. It included a baneblade, a converted shadowsword, 6 basilisks, 2 fist platoons with attached chimera's, a destroyer tank hunter, and about 8 leman russes. Against me was a nidzilla list full of big nasties, including a 2000pt bio titan.

First turn I go to fire my baneblade's demolisher cannon at some warriors I think it was, that were entirely too close for comfort. The shot scattered far... and back onto my shadowsword. It penetrated, rolled for damage result. Weapon destroyed. Just like that my counter to the bio titan was lost.

Fast forward a few turns and Commissar Yarrick, in a moment of heroic sacrifice, tied the titan up for a turn in single combat buying me time to deal with the rest of the tyranids bearing down on me. With the bio titan unscratched, and inches from my tattered lines, I was in dire straits. My Baneblade had been destroyed, along with 1 fist platoon, my tank hunter, 3 russes, and all of my basilisks. That was when an idea formed.

I charged the chimera belonging to the lost fist platoon forward. Though its multilaser and heavy bolter had been destroyed, it could still serve The Emperor. I tank shocked the bio titan and he of course initiated death or glory upon it. We weren't sure if this was legal, but our friend who was watching/moderating said go for it. The biotitan rolled his attacks and... failed to score even a single immobilized or destroyed result. We let him reroll all of his attacks, and once again he failed to stop the chimera. We figured that the biotitan had slammed one of its great claws down at the chimera, missing, allowing the chimera to drive up the arm(it did have a dozer blade) and smash itself into the biotitans head, killing it.

A bit gamey, but in all good fun. After the battle I painted "Bug Squasher" onto the legendary chimera.

Harwammer
20-11-2013, 17:35
The bending Shell of the warp
So a Chaos vindicator behind cover can only see one unit ofscouts so I take a pot shot at them it misses massively max range miss and hitthe Marine termy squad and Chapter master behind a building that there is noway it should have hit
It does
boom all gone

Never Fly off the table
a 750 Point tony my Wingedhive tyrant is up against marines in the final and I am one vp up
I fly my Winged hive tyrant off the table at the end of turnfor him to come back from ongoing reserves
And the game ends lost the warlord and kill point and thegame

They will not die
Zombies of Typhus VSspace wolfs
space wolfs turn one drop pod on the Typhus back line and shoot the hell out of everythingand wipe all but one unit of Zombies and Typhus for four turns the zombies justwill not die and make every save or feel no pain they can long fang targetsthem and lascanons hit them and roll a one to wound plasma blows up.
I have not used Typhus since I may have burned out his mojo

Quoted because black text on black background is a pain :p

Ironbone
21-11-2013, 01:15
My memorable moments ? Oh, they are so many of them :D .

It all started in december night in 2004. I just bought games newspaper, and decided to try a demo of one game that was on attached CD.

It was Dawn of War.

You all know how awesome was the into. So i quickly buy a full game, and good lord, it was so much fun.

However, all references to Emperor, Inqisition, Eldar, Orks, Chaos, made just no sense to me. So I start searching, and discover all the wonderfull fluff about WH40k ( mostly about marines, suprise, suprise )

Year later came the winter assout. After finishing my campain, I knew one thing, if i would play Wh40k, i would play Imperial Guard.

Half year later, in summer 2006, opportunity finaly came, as my grandparentds give me lot of money as birthday gift. 1000 zł, wich was back then eqiliament of about 250-300$. And bit earlier, by total accident :) i discovered there is a gaiming club is my town. It was called "zadtrolla" ( literaly "trolls ass" or "trolls butt". Don't blame me, i wasn't one who designed this ), and so my gaiming carrer began.

And my very first game. Oh, i did so many uterrly ridicolous things in my very first game. Killing terminator with single lasgun shot. Killing BA chaplain ( and chaplain, BA ones especialy wre death machines back then ) in close combat with 10 guardsmans ( of wich only 3 could strike. They all hit, 2 wound, and enemy faild both 2+ saves ).

It wasn't my most intense gameing period, but some games were so funny, that i remember them even today. Like one, where special weapon squad, designed as suicide unit, was in fact my only unit that survive the battle, claiming impersive kill-count of baal predator, terminator squad and tac marines, more than 3x of their cost.

So 4th ed saw may frst gaiming experiences. We do not have lot's of players, but have thankfuly qiute diverse armies. CSM ( on ridicolousy :cheese: 3.5 book ), and of course it just have to be IW, BA, SW ( bit later on ), Orkz, SM, my IG, and later on AC ( paper flat, if you know what i mean ;) ) ...

And Nekrons. Uhh....If you dont remeber how was to play against nekrons in 4th, imagine GK in 5th, just twice worse. Army that i absouletly despite playing against. Irony, my best resoult against them, draw, i achived by plaing armoured company. And belive me, tanks armour, even more than nowdays, mean nothing to nekrons guns.

Then, in mid 2007 i have to move to diffrent city, as i began my studies ( wich belive me, ended poorly by being fired from univercity. 2 times in a row ), and my gaiming becames very erratic, even if I participated in one master-calass tournament, claming 30 place out of 40 players with armoured company army with so stupid list, that it made my opponets laugh. Well, stuff like 300+ pts tanks are laughing matter. Such situation repeted itself in 2008 and, so smaller scale, in 2009.

But then finaly came 5th ed IG codex.

If you don't remember, 3.5 guard codex was funny whan comes to list variety, doctrines were very funny to use ( for almost 3 years, i use diffrent set in almost every single game, yet i used just maybe 15 out of 40 doctines in diffrent combinations ) but in terms of power, not to use swearing, just bad. Guardsmans were over-expensive, undergunned ( well, they still are ), and that idiotic kill-points mechanics just raped the army.

During very fist 5th ed dex game it all changed. Well, not only that, as lot of thing changed in my life, as i started new studies, joined AIESEC, and help my parents with fufiling their dream of suburban house. My opponet just surrender in 2nd turn. Wow, just Wow. Suddenly I felt so powerful. You know, after years of occupaing place of walkover army, it was just so new feeling that now you can fight enemy on equal terms. And i even do not brong most Op stuff, i just used my old, tried and tested gunline + tanks army list, without any new unit that 5th ed dex give us. I bought my first Valkirie bearly a month ago.

Of course, guard power won't last very long, and when stuff like BA, SW, GK and nekrons came into system, and guard power faed away, again i start playing somewhat erraticly.

Interesting thing, even if I was a rather avarange player, i always was one to best know the rules. Kind of contradiction, but after all these years in club, i grow into position of "if you want to know the rule, ask him(me)" :D. So far, that in this year, I was elected to be maing juge on our biggest tournament, in wich majority of Poland ETC crew will take part in :D.

Maybe it's because i always like reading, and often just dig into all kind of codexes, Rulebook, and even FW stuff if I only have opportunity to do so.

So, yeah, warhammer was, and still is a wonderfull experience. Well, it's not without flaws - prices long ago crossed my border of acceptance, and GW idiocy that allow stuff like lash to enter the system just sometimes makes me red with rage, but overall, it's still just worth it, because of all fun it brings.

And well, not only fun. Wh40k was 2nd ( 1st beeing games, sorry :) ) best source of learnig english, and it also teaches how to think muliti-dimensional. Usefull not only on table. And last, but not least, without warhammer, i would probably not became a Brony :). During my short ( well, if you can name 1,5 year short ) journey into WFB, i encounter on forum thread about MLP. I intened to make laugh out of it ( sily, adoult men watching cartoon for little girls :wtf: ), but as I hate ignorance, i've decided to watch some espisodes. Afther 5th, there was not turning back ;).

Sir Didymus
21-11-2013, 03:02
Most memorable moment would be, when me and my most regular opponent suddenly stopped playing for the win with the complimentary ensuing heated rules debates, and just relaxed and played for the fun of it, stopping to discuss tactics openly udring the game etc. The pinacle of this, would be the 2v2 game where we ended up playing against each others and our team mates couldn't quite get their heads around, why we gave each other tactical advice.

In reality we didn't get any less competitive, we just started competing on a different level.

-

The other major turning point, was the time we made our first scenario with unique objective rules and extras. Taking control and making the game our own, instead of just relying on GWs guidelines, upped the involvement immensely. Sadly we've done this less as of late, as time has been sparse, but its definitely recommendable.

Nazguire
21-11-2013, 04:08
Some of my favourite moments have been relatively simple where myself and my opponent have said 'Cool!'. I don't mind playing my army relatively in character (Chaos), which is aggressive up the middle ;-) My Khorne Lord is running up the board, solo, for he does not need a squad to protect his mighty self. My opponent had cleverly placed an empty Rhino right in front of his path to hinder me, to make me go around to slow him down...

I could of gone around, which I think he was hoping I'd do. I could of changed tack and back tracked, which would have taken the Lord out of the game effectively. Instead, I merely assaulted the Rhino with my Axe of Blind Fury, rolled the D6 for daemon attacks, got 6, and proceeded to tear it apart in one assault phase. The Tactical Squad that thought they'd get one or two rounds of protection from that thing whilst firing down range at one of my Chaos Marine squads were basically left looking at an extremely pissed Chaos Lord. I said to the Tactical squad extremely enthusiastically, (don't hurt me Mods) "Surprise *********S!" My opponent loved it.

Another awesome moment was when I had my Ultramarine army and I was trudging my Terminator Librarian past a building towards an Imperial Guard blob. There was a building to his left that had one single Veteran looking at me from the second floor. I thought how cool it'd be if I shot at him with my storm bolted and blew him away before continuing on my merry way. Almost contemptuously in my shooting phase I shot at him with my storm bolted and blew him away, cover save and all out the window. My opponent and i thought that was a great cinematic moment.

And way back when, i was watching two friends play one another (Eldar 3 v Chaos 3.5) The Eldar player had managed to engage pumped up Khorne Chosen Terminators with Feel No Pain (back then it was 4+ pretty sure) with Striking Scorpions. He struck first with mandiblasters, then his chainswords. The sheer amount of attacks on this 5 man Terminator squad forced most to the ground...

Until they proceeded to get back up again due to Feel No Pain. The next Assault phase the Scorpions were butchered to the last Eldar. Awesome

Watching a single Havoc squad of my friend's 3.5 edition Iron Warriors with Tank Hunters single handedly pop every Ork Trukk, Buggy, Looted Vehicle without taking a single casualty over one game. Never seen anything like it. They single handedly put an army down. All with auto cannons and Tank Hunters. It was ridiculous. In the final turn they turned to a squad of Ork Boyz and minced them to green mist.

My Dark Eldar archon with Agoniser, Combat Drugs and Shadowfield on a Skyboard laughing as she lovingly slaughtered a Farseer and Warlock retinue by himself. Attacks bounced off, Agoniser cut up a frenzy, only for him to jet off after he was done into the back lines of Guardians with star cannons.

On my opponents side that I quite enjoyed but was not he receiving end...

My Dark Eldar Lord on foot with Incubi getting murdered by a last ditch Guardian squad. I was simultaneously shocked and amused.

A Terminator Sergeant managing to hold off by his lonesome my charging squad of Possessed. Not the worst match up ever, but the image in my head of this bloodied soldier fighting to the last against daemonically possessed monsters desperate to drag him down so they can continue on into the rest of the battle was awesome.

My Terminator squad dying to a man from lasgun Overwatch in a single charge. Yep. That wasn't so fun. Later on I laughed at the mental image of these Guardsmen desperately hoping against all Mother of God hope that they could somehow lessen the impact by firing blindly at this charging tanks, only to look up and find them all dead. Hilarious.

budman
22-11-2013, 11:24
Quoted because black text on black background is a pain :p

sorry happens when I post from word for spelling on the white backgound I use ...

SimaoSegunda
22-11-2013, 11:55
I had a rhino with a combi-bolter, that had already dropped off it's outflanking Recon Marine squad, and was stopped a few inches away from the Emperor's Champion. Two shots, two hits, two wounds, double-1 for the Armour Save. Good times!

Fizzy
22-11-2013, 14:31
I played DKok and had a Leman russ with a lascannon on the front hull. I fired it at a battlewagon for 4 turns without doing anything. And the 5th turn he was right infront of my face. I knew that the 20 boys+Warboss would kill everything I had on my side. My turn and I fired the lascannon. 6 to hit, 6 to penetrate, 6 on chart. It blew up killing 11 boys and taking a wound of the warboss. My guardsmen then fired a flamer and lasguns in the surviving orks killing all but 1 boy and the warboss. They charged me and I killed them in close combat.

Later the same game I got a clean blast with a plasma gun at a big mek taking his last wound.