PDA

View Full Version : Allies Fluff

Mon-Keigh Buanna
20-11-2013, 06:13
hello everyone.
after a tactics post gone awry, It came to my attention that there is some very interesting mythology between alliances.

So I decided to create a new post dedicated to allies and how they came to be.
Don't mind any comments on it and would like to see a bit of all races in here.

thanks

=Angel=
20-11-2013, 12:17
Willing to fight as mercs for space gold:
Chaos marines/renegade space marines
Orks
Newcrons
Kroot
Renegade tau?
Eldar pirates
Rogue trader plus household troops (inquisitor/guard army)

Tactically flexible enough to fight alongside an enemy in order to defeat a common foe:
Tau
Chaos
Space marines
Guard
Orks?
Newcrons
Eldar
Kroot

Will not speak to xenos or traitors, even in the face of destruction of nonsensical proportions.

Sisters!
Oldcrons
Tyranids
Some chaos factions
Some spacemarine chapters.

Menthak
20-11-2013, 20:43
=Angel= was pretty succinct in his post. If you want to go deeper it'd have to be on a faction by faction basis.

Starting off with Tau:
-Willing to fight with any faction really, as they have no longstanding prejudices but will think twice about allying with Orks or Dark Eldar.
-Chaos I'm sure would have trouble allying with Tau, considering they can barely see them (warp-wise)
-It has been hinted that Genestealers can get inside their heads, and I'm sure they've tried to control tyranids, so it's not impossible.

Now Imperial guard:
-Guard vary regiment to regiment, there will be some regiments that will probably use xenos mercs as a standing force, and some that would never work with them even if the Emperor's life depended on it.
-Renegade regiments are mostly the same I'd say with more tolerance due to their need to get more troops on the field
-Guard units will obviously fight alongside space marines and other Imperial forces, unless obviously renegades.
-Renegade guard units will probably be able to fight alongside imperial forces, provided that they didn't defect to Chaos
-Xenos species like Eldar, Dark Eldar, Necrons would never 'ally' as such, or at least without real need, it is more likely that these factions would manipulate/force Guardsmen to their side.
-Genestealers cults use humans as their bread and butter, so it's not impossible.

Space Marines (loyalist, Puritan)
-Imperial forces, assuming they share their views are a-okay, but will probably be difficult alongside certain units (Ogryns and other abhumans)
-Renegades (assuming not to Chaos) I think that would be fine, but would probably be subject to a purge afterwards
-Xenos would be a probable no-no, unless Chaos came to the field
-Chaos is an absolute no

Space Marines (Loyalist, radical/questionable)
-Imperial forces obviously depends on their alignment, but some more neutral units (Guard, force example) would probably have no choice, although after the battle there would be issues
-Xenos, it has been seen before, (Angels and Necrons, Ultramarines and Tau, Blood Ravens and Eldar), but it would never be a permanent thing, with the exception of Renegade astartes that still refuse Chaos that would have to turn to lesser xenos or Tau.
-Chaos, this one is iffy, but not impossible, the name doesn't come to mind, but there was a Chapter that used Chaos artifacts, I'm sure there are some chapters out there that consider themselves loyal, but still use chaos.

Eldar/Dark Eldar
-I doubt Eldar have ever had proper allies (tools they'd call them)
-Chaos and Necrons is just a no, two species that are enemies of them since the dawn of time, although some people like the idea of Chaos Eldar, so I guess it's not a 100% no, every race has it's radicals.
-Imperials is entirely situational, only when they really need them (Tyranids, Chaos, Necrons)

Orks
-Every race is fair game, both in war and in alliance, but only if the orks deem it. So basically I'm sure blood axes will have no problem allying with anyone, from Guard to Chaos.

New Necrons
-Similar to Eldar, it's about if they suits their needs or not.
-I'm sure they'd have no problem forcing control upon lesser species to use as fodder

Oldcrons
-Can you ally with the machines of death? Only if you are their eternal servants I suppose.

Chaos Marines
-Some Chaos Marines would still retain their hatred of xenos, but they need forces as the 'underdogs'.
-Having said that, I'm sure that some warbands have no care who they fight with.
-I'm also sure that dependent on warband, they'd be glad to dominate and use other races as slaves.

Who am I missing?

Lord Damocles
21-11-2013, 22:27
Will not speak to xenos or traitors, even in the face of destruction of nonsensical proportions.
Oldcrons
Except for renegade Techpriests which were actually a playable unit, and heavy hints of Necron/C'tan worshipping cults (from the Cult of the Dragon, the death cults from The Necron Threat, to cultists like those from Dead Men Walking, or the Wreckers on Angelis, of course...

Mon-Keigh Buanna
24-11-2013, 00:23
I just read Menthak's post.
I am just wondering though, why?

Why don't Tau like orcs?
when did they try and control Genestealers.

also, in the Rulebook, why aren't Grey Knights Battle brothers with anyone else?
and why Black Templar 'allies of convenience' with Eldar, despite the fact Black templar hate psykers?

I like long stories, so don't worry about boring me
thanks

Menthak
24-11-2013, 02:21
I just read Menthak's post.
I am just wondering though, why?

Why don't Tau like orcs?
when did they try and control Genestealers.

also, in the Rulebook, why aren't Grey Knights Battle brothers with anyone else?
and why Black Templar 'allies of convenience' with Eldar, despite the fact Black templar hate psykers?

I like long stories, so don't worry about boring me
thanks

Tau don't trust Orks due to their nature and experience with them. If I can find a source, I'll link you.
They have however never tried to control genestealers, but I imagine that considering the scientific nature of the Tau, it would theoretically be a good idea for justifying a theoretical alliance (considering that the current rules don't allow this)

The idea behind Grey Knights not being battle brothers with other factions, is that they do not trust the inquisition enough to be that intimate in an alliance. Although I think that certain factions should have the option to do so, Imperial Guard and certain Marine chapters.

Thanks for pointing out Black Templar's alliance of convenience with Eldar, that makes absolutely 0% sense, since they're both xenos and psykers, but I guess it's up to the players to choose the sense behind their alliances, and I guess there are worse xenos to be allied with.

Lord Damocles
25-11-2013, 18:17
To quote myself:

Because the allies chart is arbitrary and weird.
You can come up with an explanation for why any faction might fight alongside with any other faction. The chart would work much better if everyone could ally with everybody else, and it was left up to the player(s) to come up with reasonable fluff (yeah, you'd get overpowered abomination lists; but Riptides buddying up with Wraithknights is long-standing background, right..?)

Grey Knights might have been made Allies of Convenience in an attempt to balance their grenades and psychic powers somewhat (well, it lasted until Codex: Inquisition, at least).
Of course, that explanation would rubbish the idea that the chart is narrative/background -driven...