PDA

View Full Version : Ymgarl Tyranids

spacemonkeymojo
21-11-2013, 01:16
Does anyone know if there was any explanation as to why Ymgarl tyranids seek out the hive fleet when it arrives? I read the lexicanum article that they believe it's due to the absence of the hive mind for so long but was wondering if there were any other theories or ideas presented regarding. For example how blanks are believed to be inserted by necrons, is there something behind ymgarls?

Saunders
21-11-2013, 05:46
Well, at the very least it would be instinct I imagine.

MajorWesJanson
21-11-2013, 06:50
Wasn't Ymgarl the original planet that Genestealers were discovered on? They were probably pure hive fleet constructs, while later gen genestealers have had a bit of non-tyranid seep into their makeup, things like self preservation.

Grarik
21-11-2013, 09:00
Wasn't Ymgarl the original planet that Genestealers were discovered on? They were probably pure hive fleet constructs, while later gen genestealers have had a bit of non-tyranid seep into their makeup, things like self preservation.
the normal genestealers are actually the purestrain ones, the reason they don't return to the digestive pools is that they try to sneak onto escaping ships, so that they can infiltrate a new world, start a cult, and attract the hive fleet. ymgarls as far as I remember were the remnants of an ancient fleet, and suffer some pretty severe genetic issues, possibly due to the extended period away from the hive mind, possibly due to warp exposure, possibly because they were a failed experiment, who knows. this mutation somehow removed the drive to flee the digestive pools, and instead they head to the nearest hive fleet to be re-digested. Hive fleets go out of their way to "avoid" digesting them though, something about their genetic template being deleterious.

Harwammer
23-11-2013, 01:09
I don't know if this is still true (or even if I am remembering correctly) but back in 2nd ed (when genestealers and 'nids were still a little separated) the genestealers of Ymgarl had to use some giant leeches as their hosts in order to reproduce.

Perhaps the Ymgarl genestealers spent so long on that planet, using the leeches as genetic hosts, they somehow permanently absorbed some leech DNA into the Tyranid portion of their DNA.

Take that with a pinch of salt as I haven't checked my old books.