PDA

View Full Version : Question on Negating Steadfast while being disrupted

Artinam
24-11-2013, 20:47
Greetings all,

I have a question. Last weekend I had a tournament. I played with my Bretonnians against the Dwarves of my opponent.
At a certain time I charged two units of Knights into the front of a block of 30 Dwarven warriors with great weapons.

What happened I beat him. I managed to kill enough to bring him down to a single rank. Of my two Knight units only one other unit had a rank. However this unit was standing/fighting in a forest (The clever opponent moved his dwarves behind a forest). So this unit is disrupted because I'm in a forest. Can this unit still deny my opponent his steadfast?

I check the steadfast rules, and normally you can be disrupted (by being flanked) and still be steadfast (and hence I guess also deny steadfast). However a forest is different in rules so we were unsure how it worked out. I couldn't find any rule or listing that denied my unit from preventing steadfast. But the situation was very weird. The judge agreed with me and ruled in my favor.

Was I correct and did I deny the steadfast correctly?

yabbadabba
24-11-2013, 20:51
Disruption only cause you to los the combat points for ranks - not any other benefits due to those ranks. So you were right. However I am not sure why you were disrupted, as in a forest you have to take difficult terrain tests and cannot be steadfast - have I missed an FAQ?

sholcomb
25-11-2013, 15:56
I think you got the forest rules all wrong. Forests do not disrupt your unit, they simply take away steadfast.

SanDiegoSurrealist
25-11-2013, 16:12
Pg 119
A unit with the majority of it's models fighting in a forest can never be steadfast (unless it is Stubborn).

Skirmishers (and lone infantry characters) in a Forest are always stubborn if the majority of their models are in a forest.

Did not know about the lone infantry characters in a forest, learn something new about this game everyday.

dooms33ker
01-12-2013, 00:19
Pg 119
A unit with the majority of it's models fighting in a forest can never be steadfast (unless it is Stubborn).

Skirmishers (and lone infantry characters) in a Forest are always stubborn if the majority of their models are in a forest.

Did not know about the lone infantry characters in a forest, learn something new about this game everyday.

But the internets told me wood elves suck? A few strategically placed forests can wreck even the biggest skaven horde.

Blkc57
01-12-2013, 01:28
But the internets told me wood elves suck? A few strategically placed forests can wreck even the biggest skaven horde.

Except the internets remember that wood elves have pathetic saves and rather overpriced in terms of points. The WE armies that tend to do the best from my perspective have always been the ones to eschew close combat fighting and focus on dancing away from their opponents. I imagine they'll get better though when they get that nice little ASF from that elf blood that courses through their veins.

bigbiggles
01-12-2013, 17:26
And they changed their wood from anywhere on their table half to just their deployment zone. Much less useful

Spiney Norman
01-12-2013, 21:50
And they changed their wood from anywhere on their table half to just their deployment zone. Much less useful

That depends what you want to use it for, if you're using it as a start point for teleporting a unit into the enemy backfield with the moonstone then its quite useful to put it in your deployment zone.

Its not like putting a forest into the path of your enemy is remotely useful any more since they made terrain largely meaningless. About the only advantage to have your enemy in a forest is being able to use the direct damage version of Treesinging.

yabbadabba
01-12-2013, 23:18
That depends what you want to use it for, if you're using it as a start point for teleporting a unit into the enemy backfield with the moonstone then its quite useful to put it in your deployment zone.

Its not like putting a forest into the path of your enemy is remotely useful any more since they made terrain largely meaningless. About the only advantage to have your enemy in a forest is being able to use the direct damage version of Treesinging. I disagree. Catching a normal unit in a forest gives a skirmishing unit a great chance of at least delay, if not victory for those that have a high damage output.