PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Warriors?

Superfly
28-11-2013, 08:36
I was flicking through my copy of Rogue Trader and on the page that shows 12 chapters, there is one called "Rainbow Warriors". Their icon appears all the way through the book, but then never mention again. Did they get dropped, change name, turn to chaos? Basically any fluff for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)c

Spider-pope
28-11-2013, 09:03
I was flicking through my copy of Rogue Trader and on the page that shows 12 chapters, there is one called "Rainbow Warriors". Their icon appears all the way through the book, but then never mention again. Did they get dropped, change name, turn to chaos? Basically any fluff for them?

As a Chapter they've never really been developed. Their original little bit of fluff has certainly changed - they were one of the First Founding and the Ultramarines were one of their successor Chapters.

What remains is a possible homeworld called Prism, shown on several maps as a restricted planet with the Rainbow Warriors symbol next to it, and a reference in the Space Marine Codex about their participation in the 'Blood Star' campaign, during which they lost their Chapter Master. For a while it looked like they'd been renamed as the Death Strike Chapter, due to a photo of a marine with the same paintjob and symbol, but they seem to have retained their original name and made appearances since.

There are several fan made backgrounds for them, ranging from thought out, detailed Aztec inspired fluff to frankly horrid, homophobic rubbish. I even have my own collection of Second Company Rainbow Warriors that i plan to flesh out with fluff and whatnot.

Superfly
28-11-2013, 09:31
Cheers. Quite liked the colour scheme...time to build some rainbows!

DeathGlam
28-11-2013, 09:38
My favourite Space Marine chapter,had a small army of them going back a few years ago, as they have three great aspects, 1 awesome name, 2 not much fluff so plenty of freedom and 3 they really enrage the occasional secret homophobe especially if they lose to them, which as a "crazy" liberal i enjoy very much mocking.

williamsond
28-11-2013, 09:50
I think the name of the chapter came as a nod to the greenpeace ship The Rainbow Warrior, which was sunk by the french navy in the 80's.

Spider-pope
28-11-2013, 09:56
I think the name of the chapter came as a nod to the greenpeace ship The Rainbow Warrior, which was sunk by the french navy in the 80's.

Yeah, it pretty much exists as a pun. A piece of art in the Rogue Trader book is a Rainbow Warrior being shot by a Sister of Battle, who of course have French inspired iconography.

A.T.
28-11-2013, 10:00
Though they might also be a reference to the original rainbow warriors of Norse mythology, guardians of the bifrost (the rainbow bridge from Asguard to Midgard)

Polaria
28-11-2013, 10:05
When the Warhammer 40 000: Rogue Trader (aka 1st edition) rulebook came out I was just a little kid, but I knew Rainbow Warrior (the ship) since it was sunk by French just a couple of years ago. At that time the connection between the chapter name and the ship (which was named after a Native American legend) was obvious enough for kids to pick up.

jareddm3
28-11-2013, 12:44
There was a line in the digital version of the 5e codex about the Deathstrike chapter. It mentioned that they still maintained an animosity towards the Ultramarines for having previously purged their brother chapter. Obviously it doesn't have to be the Rainbow Warriors and would even seem strange considering what we know of the two chapters is the Deathstrike are Imperial Fist successors and the Rainbow Warriors are Ultramarine successors. But I still like the idea of it being them.

Last bit, the two chapters symbols aren't identical either. The number of prongs are different between them.

Romanov77
29-11-2013, 21:04
Do they got pony cavalry?

Kurgan Ironbeard
29-11-2013, 21:40
They are in the current codex on the time line. They are an aztec themed chapter.

Spider-pope
30-11-2013, 21:26
They are in the current codex on the time line. They are an aztec themed chapter.

The Aztec theme isn't official, it's not from any GW source. It's fan created background.

Kurgan Ironbeard
30-11-2013, 23:43
Hmm perhaps although didn't an author say he wanted to write a book on them with the theme in mind and make them a lot more serious than their name would suggest.

Azazyll
01-12-2013, 16:26
Hmm perhaps although didn't an author say he wanted to write a book on them with the theme in mind and make them a lot more serious than their name would suggest.

In many cultures rainbows are quite serious. In judeo-christian tradition they signify a covenant with God not to flood the earth ever again. In Norse tradition they represent the bridge between worlds. It's our hangup, has nothing to do with rainbows themselves.

Of course, you could always base them on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon

VaeVictisGames
01-12-2013, 21:45
In many cultures rainbows are quite serious. In judeo-christian tradition they signify a covenant with God not to flood the earth ever again. In Norse tradition they represent the bridge between worlds. It's our hangup, has nothing to do with rainbows themselves.

Of course, you could always base them on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon

And in Hawaii they are a sign of impending bad luck. I'd say a force of Space Marines about to arrive and killify your army is definitely impending bad luck, so the name fits.

Harwammer
01-12-2013, 21:54
Rainbows are associate with God/the gods. It makes sense the warriors of the imperium's god would use it.