PDA

View Full Version : New to High Elves - Looking for 800 point list to begin & hints!

Belthelas
28-11-2013, 11:38
Hello fellow High Elves Generals!

I have taken the plunge into the world of WHFB and have bought myself a box of spearmen and also have 5 Lothern Sea Guard. I love the High Elves models and have already come up with a paint scheme so now I need to get the army book and start building an army.

I want it (to start with) to be quite infantry heavy, i really like the idea of large blocks of infantry and I like the spearmen and phoenix guard models but other than that I don't really know what I should be going for. I also don't want to spend money on units that I will never end up fielding!

If someone could perhaps come up with an 800 point list that I can start working towards (that is the beginners point limit at my local GW) so that I can get started as soon as possible I would be really grateful!

Also, and hints, tips, advice or tactics would be greatly appreciated!

Kingly
28-11-2013, 12:02
Depensding on your overall design (I.e. fun or compy) you cant go wrong with Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers, Silver Helms or chariots. You can also generally pick up Sword Masters x 10 for around 12 off Ebay, so they're a very good Special choice. 2 attacks at Str5 always strikes first at I5 (And this can easily be bumped with hand of glory from any mage on a 5+ so one die it! Lvl1 mage casts on 3.)

From my 20-30 games I have found Archers to be fairly useless so I'd recommend avoiding those, in their place I have found Sisters of Averlorn to be AMAZING, seriously seriously good, I dont go to a game without them now.

Other units to avoid I don't really know as everything else seems really good, Elyrian Reavers are good fun but I cant seem to use them right yet...Eagles good, White Lions ace, Phoenix Guard I'm struggling with (And I bought 40!) Sea Guard are way nicer miniatures than Spear in my opinion as Spear are a lot more hero scale so they have huge ham fists. The way spear should have looked are like the crew you get on the chariots, so skirts finish at the knee wiht a dynamic pose on the legs and thinner hands.
Anyway...
800 points...
Lord on steed with Star lance and all the usual armour, very tasty on the charge. Add to that a reaver bow if that's legal? and a potion of strength to pop opposing chariots...
what else, if you use the Storm of magic book, or is it the FW book, you can take white lions as a unit, as in actual WHITE LIONS, so save the guys you get with the chariots if you arent using them as a white lion chariot, which is also ace by the way but 120 points, and unfortunately both chariots are special not core :( Damn chaos with their core chariots at T5 3+SV... :(

Wow I'm hungover and rambling...

All I'd say is stay away form archers, terrible unit and terrible miniatures. (I bought a box and almost puked, then converted ten to Sisters as I used the main box of Sisters/Shadow warriors for ten shadow warriors OH also I know Shadow warriors look amazing but in two games I have used them they have bloooowwwwwwnnnn so bad, and they're 13 points each.

That's about all I have so far...

Wizards are ace b t w.

liddan
28-11-2013, 12:05
You'll probably want a mage on foot for your general. The high elf mage plastic kit is really cool and let's you design your mage a couple of different ways. Take a dispel scroll and remember to use it, that's warhammer 1:01 :)

Your two big infantry blocks will be the phoenix guard and the spearmen, you'll probably want atleast 15 phoenix guard and 25 spearmen. Preferably alot more.

Eagles are really good if used right, might want to consider one to mop up the enemy's smaller units.

Yes, the white lion chariot is a steal for what it costs.

Good luck!

Belthelas
28-11-2013, 13:49
Thanks for the replies, really helpful! I did see an army list of around 800 points whilst looking on the net which was essentially a wizard, a block of spearmen, a block of phoenix guard and an eagle.

I do like the chariot models too so I might get a couple of those and see how it goes! Thanks for the warning on the archers too, I was thinking of getting some quite soon, think i'll give them a miss unless i'm seriously lacking in firepower! I havent gone through the lore's yet neither, which one's should I be looking at primarily?

I was worrying about the mage box too as I dont like the model on the stones, i prefer a normal one standing!

liddan
28-11-2013, 15:49
You don't have to use the stones at all. My friend has him standing on the base and it looks way better in my opinion. Chariots are usually really good in smaller games where the infantry blocks are generally a bit smaller.

thrawn
29-11-2013, 02:19
Depensding on your overall design (I.e. fun or compy) you cant go wrong with Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers, Silver Helms or chariots. You can also generally pick up Sword Masters x 10 for around 12 off Ebay, so they're a very good Special choice. 2 attacks at Str5 always strikes first at I5 (And this can easily be bumped with hand of glory from any mage on a 5+ so one die it! Lvl1 mage casts on 3.)

From my 20-30 games I have found Archers to be fairly useless so I'd recommend avoiding those, in their place I have found Sisters of Averlorn to be AMAZING, seriously seriously good, I dont go to a game without them now.

Other units to avoid I don't really know as everything else seems really good, Elyrian Reavers are good fun but I cant seem to use them right yet...Eagles good, White Lions ace, Phoenix Guard I'm struggling with (And I bought 40!) Sea Guard are way nicer miniatures than Spear in my opinion as Spear are a lot more hero scale so they have huge ham fists. The way spear should have looked are like the crew you get on the chariots, so skirts finish at the knee wiht a dynamic pose on the legs and thinner hands.
Anyway...
800 points...
Lord on steed with Star lance and all the usual armour, very tasty on the charge. Add to that a reaver bow if that's legal? and a potion of strength to pop opposing chariots...
what else, if you use the Storm of magic book, or is it the FW book, you can take white lions as a unit, as in actual WHITE LIONS, so save the guys you get with the chariots if you arent using them as a white lion chariot, which is also ace by the way but 120 points, and unfortunately both chariots are special not core :( Damn chaos with their core chariots at T5 3+SV... :(

Wow I'm hungover and rambling...

All I'd say is stay away form archers, terrible unit and terrible miniatures. (I bought a box and almost puked, then converted ten to Sisters as I used the main box of Sisters/Shadow warriors for ten shadow warriors OH also I know Shadow warriors look amazing but in two games I have used them they have bloooowwwwwwnnnn so bad, and they're 13 points each.

That's about all I have so far...

Wizards are ace b t w.

so I have to disagree with much of what you've said. i'm not sure if your a tournament player, but I am and I can say with confidence, archers are extremely good.

it really depends on your meta. we play competitively and in the tournament scene here in Canada, and archers are essential (although I will agree the models suck :))

you need archers to eliminate chaff so you must take them. RBTs are also amazing, take them. I take one unit of sisters, usually just 5 strong. they lack the range (24") but have flaming/magical attacks that is essential against an ethereal vampire list or regen heavy list. fill out rare with a frosty.

sword masters are good, but you loss the ASF cause of double handed weapons, still good though cause they attack now with I5 but are losing the reroll to hit. I still take a unit of 3o for my bus with the banner of the world dragon.

for lords, loremasters are very handy cause of their versatility, so I take one and also a level 4 archmage on death. I also take a bsb with reaver bow and potion of strength, have a turn with 3 S8 shots is great fun.

reavers are awesome, I don't leave home without them. redirectors, pot shots, chaff, etc. they fill out a multitude of roles.

truth be told though, with the new dark elves out they're kind of out classed, but I still like them and am usually successful with them on the tourney scene.

Har666
29-11-2013, 04:37
I use wood eld archers in my high elf army, I find them a much better model.

You can usually find 3lves from the starter box on ebay, but everyone wants the sea guard most of the time which can make them a bit exe.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Belthelas
29-11-2013, 09:14
You don't have to use the stones at all. My friend has him standing on the base and it looks way better in my opinion.

Nice, I think i'll scan ebay for a cheaper boxset of the mage box then, I want to paint a character as I paint my spearmen to break up the monotony of painting the foot troops!

Again, thanks for all the advice guys. Everyone seems to say that the Reavers are awesome so i'll check ebay out for those too!

Solonor
29-11-2013, 10:25
I also have to disagree with some points

Depensding on your overall design (I.e. fun or compy) you cant go wrong with Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers, Silver Helms or chariots. You can also generally pick up Sword Masters x 10 for around off Ebay, so they're a very good Special choice. 2 attacks at Str5 always strikes first at I5 (And this can easily be bumped with hand of glory from any mage on a 5+ so one die it! Lvl1 mage casts on 3.)

Swordmasters strike in initiative order and don't have rerolls

Archers can dish out almost as many ws 4 st 3 attacks has spearelves and can be a threat from turn one, you just have to point them at the right targets (clearing chaff etc). i consder them much more usefull then spearelves. Althoug the models aren't real the most beautiful models GW produced for shure.

nope that's not legal you cant have two magic weapons.

to the OP:

HE are a good army to field elite Infantry, but don't rely only on infantry blocks. You should have a mix of shooting and chaff (mobile light units that can redirect, get in the way harass and kill enemy chaff or warmachines, like eagles, reavers, skycutters to some degree) to make sure your blocks survive to the battles you want. don't rely to much on only infantry because you are going to get outmaneuvered. the mobile elements you should choose to support your blocks depends on what you choose to have as Infantry.
I would choose a block of elite infantry supported by a big archer unit or two smaller ones, a reapeater bolt thrower and some units of reavers with bows to redirect, then a unit of silver helms to get some more punch in suppor of the blocks

Any of HE Elite Infantry is good, although most competitive players will point you towards White Lions or Phoenix Guard instead of Swordmasters, and i guess that for a less experienced player they are more reliable.

The best advice i can give you is to take a look at Ulthuan.net you will find many experienced HE generals that are kind enough to share their views and tactics, i have learned much there.

boli
29-11-2013, 13:59
Nice, I think i'll scan ebay for a cheaper boxset of the mage box then, I want to paint a character as I paint my spearmen to break up the monotony of painting the foot troops!

Again, thanks for all the advice guys. Everyone seems to say that the Reavers are awesome so i'll check ebay out for those too!

You can also use a "water swirl" for the mage instead of the stones and I *think* one other... not sure its been a while but that box (and the hero box) is amazing - you can build two models EACH and customise them both great. Bit expensive; true, but they look great.

Francis
01-12-2013, 19:58
On the elites, some of the better players on Ulthuan have been claiming lately that Swordmasters is a very good unit and especially if you can only take one elite unit, they can do a lot of damage with 2a, s5 and ws 6 and work against both hard and numerous foes. In the defence department they can take the role of PG if you send a high mage with them. PG is better as an anvil and Lions are better against high armoursave and monsters, but the Swordmasters are the most flexible of those three units.

For myself I usally take atleast 1 medium sized unit of them, and recently two 15 strong units with command have worked great in my games.

Spiney Norman
01-12-2013, 20:07
What kind of list are you looking for, one that will be easy to deploy and a massive headache for your opponents to deal with or a slightly softer list that plays all aspects of the game and teaches you the basics?

At the more competitive end the high elf list basically writes itself, Silverhelms are far and away the best core choice to the point where most of the high elf armies I see only take a pair of Silverhelms buses to fill up their min core requirement.

There is a little more flexibility in special, but usually it will entail some bolt throwers and a large block of white lions with the world dragon banner and then a pair of frost Phoenixes in rare. Sometimes I see Phoenix guard instead of lions in a less-optimised list and they still perform well because the gap between them is not that huge, but swordsmasters are too far behind IMHO. Chariots also sometimes appear if the points limit allows, but only the lion varient is worth its points.

Archers aren't terrible, but they suffer from being S3 ranged troops, which are all but irrelevent this edition. Spearmen are very much the poor relation, fragile as glass and pretty high cost for a basic trooper, and worst of all they're only S3 so you will need to have some kind of strength buffing spell up your sleeve if you want them to put wounds on anything in combat.

Belthelas
04-12-2013, 16:08
I think at the moment i'm looking for the softer list that plays all aspects and will help me get to grips with the rules. I'm completely new to Fantasy and although I tend to pick up rules pretty quickly and things like the wound tables are the same as 40K I still want to get myself a good grounding before I start min/maxing my lists.

I have almost finished my first 16 spearmen and have ordered the box set from ebay (the older one with slightly less spears/archers and a bolt thrower instead of the chariot) so that is my next port of call! After that I think i'll get myself a mage and then start on either white lions or PG (to be fair the white lion models are pretty awesome too!!)

I got the codex today too from ebay so i'll have a read of that.

thanks again!

Belthelas
10-12-2013, 08:53
Well I have completed my first unit - 16 spearelves - and hope to create a new thread with a few pictures that I can use as a blog of my painting (and eventually my games!). I have put together a unit of 16 archers and have pretty much completed and am happy with my test model so they are up next. I'm hoping that they won't take too long, my paint scheme is pretty simple and I want to get into the juicer stuff (a unit of silver helms and my bolt thrower somewhere inbetween). After that (and probably after Christmas) I will be looking to get a couple of characters painted up - I think i'm going to go for a Loremaster and an Archmage and possibly a box of Phoenix Guard to paint along side them. After that I should have a pretty good basic army to start learning the rules with and start finding out for myself what I am lacking/requiring.

I have been reading elsewhere on Warseer and everywhere I look people seem to say that Phoenixi (especially frost) are awesome so I may have to pick one of those up shortly after, though it seems like a pretty daunting task to paint!

Soundwave
10-12-2013, 09:36
Dont forget about sisters or shadow warriors.I have been facing these guys alot at the moment and both are being quite painfull.

boli
10-12-2013, 09:42
The phoenix are easy to paint - but they are just sooo ... big. The Loremaster is a good place to start for smaller games due to the flexibility of the rules

Don't be afraid to play with unpainted models - although painted is best it by no means a requirement for friendly games - it is a good way to find out what your playstyle is before you put brush to model - or even purchase new models.

I highly recommend starting a project log (scroll down the main page to find where to post it) I have found personally it helps keep me on track and forces me to progress more than I would if just left to my own devices.